• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has there ever been a magical girl anime or manga...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
that could be described as Shounen rather than Shoujo? I need to know because I have plans for a story (no I'm not trying to break into the anime biz), and if there is already some source material, then I would love to take a look into it.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
that could be described as Shounen rather than Shoujo? I need to know because I have plans for a story (no I'm not trying to break into the anime biz), and if there is already some source material, then I would love to take a look into it.

Sasami: Magical Girl Club Is One.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
In an earlier guise, there is also “Magic Girl Pretty Sammy”.

For some reason when I read “magic girl show that is shounen” I visualised “Magic Boy Pretty Tenchi”. I’ll have to review my medication dosage again. Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:50 am Reply with quote
Mai Hime is shounen. pretty much just girls running around fighting each other.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
"Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha."

It's definitely a shonen (or maybe seinan) magical girl anime. I believe it aired late night/early morning and the transformation scenes are definitely aimed at guys.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Well shooooto, while Nanoha does have fanservice, I would like to point out that nude transformation sequences are pretty much a staple of magical girl shows. Even Princess Tutu did it au naturel. Nanoha's transformations aren't really that explicit and I would say that it's just one among several elements that makes MSLN more shounen than shoujo.
mydog8u2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

If Mai Hime is shounen, then I guess Mai Otome is also one, although it doesn't exactly say it is in the Encyclopedia (it only says it's comedy, fantasy).

What would you call Fate/Stay Night?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
Heh heh, this is my specialty.

I'll start off with Magic User's Club. Although debatably can also be considered shoujo, a certain teachers, um, bouncy breasts signify it was also aimed at males. Not really the traditional magic girl, but magical girl none the less.

Magical Canan is a relitively unknown magical girl anime. More of the traditional magical girl stuff here. It started off full of fanservice, panty shots, and big boobs. The fanservice faded away by the end though and I thought the story turned out to be good, although, a little cliched. Still, I really liked this show.

Nurse Witch Komugi is one of my favorite animes. It's a comedy/parody though and to some extent keeps the traditional magical girl elements. The anime is focused on comedy though.

Puni Puni Poemy is somewhat similar to Nurse Witch Komugi. The main difference is that PPP never uses cuteness to appeal to the audience and NWK does. Also, PPP is more making fun of the magical girl genre rather then it being a working part of the show unlike NWK. NWK is longer and IMO funnier so I prefer it over the other.

Maburaho can also be considered a magical girl anime. It's not very traditional though. Just girls with magical powers. I've only seen 4 episodes though so I haven't gotten that into it yet.

Popotan, while still not very traditional, is still a magical girl anime. Although they don't really use their powers that much in the anime and I'm sure there's still a bunch of powers of theirs that were never shown to us.

There's also the anime combination called Akahori Gendou Hour Rabuge which includes Zettai Seigi Love Pheromone and Soreyuke! Gendou Otometai. The first one is debatably a magical girl anime and the second one most definately is a magical girl anime. First one, well, they're not exactly magical but do have tranformation sequences. They use some form of "Power Suits" rather then magic though. While claiming to fight on the side of good, they usually end up destroying stuff. The second, they're supposed to be witches and supposed to be doing "bad things", but usually end up helping people instead. Kind of opposite themes, but the stories are sometimes intertwined.

The newest magical girl anime aimed at guys I can think of would be Magikano. It's mainly comedy. Pretty funny so far, but it's still new and not all of it's out yet.

Well, I'm sure there's more, but those were the one's I can think of off the top of my head that weren't already mentioned. Out of all of the one's I mentioned, although not my favorite, I'd have to say that "Magical Canan" is probably the best example of a traditional magical girl anime aimed at guys.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Well shooooto, while Nanoha does have fanservice, I would like to point out that nude transformation sequences are pretty much a staple of magical girl shows. Even Princess Tutu did it au naturel. Nanoha's transformations aren't really that explicit and I would say that it's just one among several elements that makes MSLN more shounen than shoujo.

Not particularly explicit, but more suggestive than transformation sequences normally are. And in the second season, there are very few transformation sequences anyway. The fighting is also very shonen though.

mydog8u2 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

If Mai Hime is shounen, then I guess Mai Otome is also one, although it doesn't exactly say it is in the Encyclopedia (it only says it's comedy, fantasy).

What would you call Fate/Stay Night?

Mai HiME is shounen, though whether its really a 'magical girl' series is debatable. Mai Otome is also shonen and I think it is more 'magical girl' than HiME.

Fate/Stay Night is not magical girl.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Hmm, maybe I should be a bit more clear on what I consider Shounen.

Bouncy breasts and suggestive transformation sequences aren't quite enough for me to consider a magical girl series Shounen. What I'm looking for when I say Shounen, I mean something similar to Bleach or Yu Yu Hakusho. Reluctant hero, crazy/ bloody action, not just something that'll give guys a 30 second erection. Mai Hime though I am considering looking into though. Tanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
"Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha."

It's definitely a shonen (or maybe seinan) magical girl anime. I believe it aired late night/early morning and the transformation scenes are definitely aimed at guys.

I seriously second that, and also it's one of the few magical girl series that's purely badass. That and its sequal Nanoha A's really concentrate more on fighting than any other magical series I've seen (not to mention the action scenes are well-choreagraphed). Oh hell, this pic summerizes the awesomeness!

http://www.radiant-studios.net/junk/nanoha.jpg

Mr. Green
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Hmm, maybe I should be a bit more clear on what I consider Shounen.

Bouncy breasts and suggestive transformation sequences aren't quite enough for me to consider a magical girl series Shounen. What I'm looking for when I say Shounen, I mean something similar to Bleach or Yu Yu Hakusho. Reluctant hero, crazy/ bloody action, not just something that'll give guys a 30 second erection. Mai Hime though I am considering looking into though. Tanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

I still recomend Lyrical Nanoha. All the fighting is very shonen-ish.

EDIT: And while I don't really consider Mai HiME 'magical girl' I still highly recommend watching it.
Angelcake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I would most definently reccomend Cutey Honey.....especially New Cutey Honey.

True, the main character is an android......but still...
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Although Magical DoReMi brought shame to the anime world, it could still be considered a Magical Girl Anime.
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Fails as a joke since it's about 180 degrees off from Nanoha's usual style. She always asks questions first, and if unanswered lays down the divine busting on her opponent's posterior.

(And ooh how Fate loved it...) Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2