• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alternate word for older brother

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a few anime where a character is talking to an older brother and the subtitles say "elder/older brother" but the word is not "onii-chan/san" but sounds like "how-way" or "ha-how-way". (Sorry, since I don't know what the word is, I spelled it like it sounds to me.) Is there another, perhaps more formal, word for "elder brother"?

Thanks.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you're thinking of ani-ue?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Perhaps you're thinking of ani-ue?

Quite possibly. Since my Japanese strictly comes from anime and sometimes my hearing isn't so great Rolling Eyes . But..if ani-ue is a more formal form of older brother then yes, that's the word that I heard.

Thank you very much!
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hm, what you said in your first post sounds more like mother. Atleast, I think it means that...

There's also what, chi-chu-he, or something like that, for father? I had an extremely hard time getting used to last names + honorifics when I first started anime, now I'm trying to learn all of the extra slang/less formal words. Like, Aniki is a type of "brother" more suitable for an older brother or leader in a mob/mafia/bandit type setting. Goodluck.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
The first anime that I heard the word was in Kyo Kara Maoh! and Wolfram was talking to Gwendal. Since then I've been wondering about it. And like I said before my hearing sometimes sucks, so...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've watched a few anime where a character is talking to an older brother and the subtitles say "elder/older brother" but the word is not "onii-chan/san" but sounds like "how-way" or "ha-how-way". (Sorry, since I don't know what the word is, I spelled it like it sounds to me.) Is there another, perhaps more formal, word for "elder brother"?

Thanks.

You've misheard, or rather, misunderstood. The word you heard is indubitably 母上 (haha-ue, "respected/dearest Mother"). There are corresponding terms of affectionate respect for all family members, but only these three are regularly used:

父上 (chichi-ue, "respected/dearest Father")
母上 (haha-ue, "respected/dearest Mother")
兄上 (ani-ue, "respected/dearest Older Brother")
The version for elder sisters is rarely used, the less-formal version o-nee-san being preferred.

Each of these has a less formal, but still respectful version:

お父さん (o-tou-san, "Father")
お母さん (o-kaa-san, "Mother")
お兄さん (o-nii-san, "Older Brother")
お姉さん (o-nee-san, "Older Sister")

Finally, there are a number of informal versions. By dropping the honorific o-, one can achieve a degree of informality, e.g. tou-san. Or one can go for the completely informal:

親父 (oyaji, "Dad")
御袋 (ofukuro, "Mom")

Finally, some people have adopted Westernized terms like パパ (papa) and ママ (mama). This is often used for humorous purposes in film and television, because it seems so, well, un-Japanese.

LydiaDianne wrote:
The first anime that I heard the word was in Kyo Kara Maoh! and Wolfram was talking to Gwendal. Since then I've been wondering about it. And like I said before my hearing sometimes sucks, so...

Wolfram was probably talking to Gwendal about Sheri, their mother. They all refer to her as haha-ue. On the other hand, Yuuri calls his mother ofukuro, even though she insists on mama. Smile

Vortextk wrote:
Like, Aniki is a type of "brother" more suitable for an older brother or leader in a mob/mafia/bandit type setting. Goodluck.

Yes, 兄貴 (aniki) is the informal version of "big brother", comparable to oyaji and ofukuro. These days, however, it has taken on a slangy connotation, because gangs often use it to signify senior gang members. Incidentally, the leader of a gang may often be called oyaji, "Dad".

If you want a good offhand translation of aniki, I'd suggest "Bro".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Moving this thread to the Anime forum so it can get better exposure.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
The version for elder sisters is rarely used, the less-formal version o-nee-san being preferred.

So you're not going to mention it! *swish*

Now, I have to make sure. Since you talked about aniki, I need to know that aneki (姉貴) does exist and is indeed correct. And if it is, would that make it ane-ue (姉上)?

Pardon if the kanji is way wrong. I followed the pattern.
mydog8u2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Now, I have to make sure. Since you talked about aniki, I need to know that aneki (姉貴) does exist and is indeed correct. And if it is, would that make it ane-ue (姉上)?

I'm pretty sure Motoko from Love Hina called her elder sister "anee-ue".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Motoko just calls her sister ane-ue, not anee (it's the single e sound, not the double e like in oneesan). I've also heard aneki in various anime--usually, it refers to some "tough girl" like a leader of a girl gang. The most specific place I can remember hearing it is in Escaflowne, where the younger catgirl (not Merle) calls her older sister "aneki."

As a sidenote, the terms ending with -san can be changed to -sama or -chan to take the formality up or down one notch. I have heard tou-chan and kaa-chan in a few series, though obviously this isn't "proper" repsect for a parent.

A bit of trivia: 上 means up/top/high/above, so using it as a suffix might connote "you are above me" or something like that. To me, using these ~ue titles seems like a throwback to older times, at least with characters like Motoko that are down with the samurai thing.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
abunai wrote:

So you're not going to mention it! *swish*

No, because it's rare as hen's teeth -- though I see that (of course, I might have known...) someone managed to dig up an instance where Akamatsu Ken (no less) used it in Love Hina. Anime smile + sweatdrop So of course, I should have mentioned it... except that it's so rare.

Samurai CDZ wrote:

Pardon if the kanji is way wrong. I followed the pattern.

That's correct, but it's more common to hear ane-san, instead of aneki, for some reason. It's what you'd say to a female senior gangster, if you were a rank-and-file gangster, for instance. Hmm... oh yes, there's a fine example in Shakugan no Shana, where Margery Daw is referred to as ane-san by her devoted henchmen.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
That's correct, but it's more common to hear ane-san, instead of aneki, for some reason.

I can't remember hearing ane-san (it's slightly possible it was in Midori no Hibi, given the sister, but I can't remember) but I believe Johnny and Yosaku referred to Nami as Nami-aneki or some such (Nami no aneki?) in One Piece. Aneki and aniki sound, like lots of things, virtually the same so I was never very clear on it. Thanks for the verification.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
For Abunai and everyone else:

Thank you for taking the time for so very throughly answering my question. It is really appreciated! This is most definitly my "new thing learned today."

I know that I will be refering back to this post often!

Thanks again,

Lydia
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Yes, ?? (aniki) is the informal version of "big brother", comparable to oyaji and ofukuro. These days, however, it has taken on a slangy connotation, because gangs often use it to signify senior gang members. Incidentally, the leader of a gang may often be called oyaji, "Dad".

If you want a good offhand translation of aniki, I'd suggest "Bro".
- abunai

I believe that's what Ricky calls Joe in Crusher Joe. I also Aniki is used in Outlaw Star. In Gungrave, I believe Bunji calls Brandon Aniki, which Geneon translates as "Big Guy" if I remember corectly. I love how Bunji talks, with all of his words ending with "e", i.e. ikuze. Now he's a real goon.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
What you need is a list of the terms used in Sister Princess and the equivalents used in the dub. I've seen one somewhere, but I can't remember where.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2