• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is there a risk of Ghibli Blu-Rays going out of stock?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Hi all,

New to the forum, first post and all. I'm just beginning to assemble a blu-ray collection of my favourites from over the years after a several year hiatus from watching anime - and naturally quite a number of Ghibli films are at the top of my list. It's seems there's been a big wave of Disney-Ghibli blu-ray releases in recent years. I was wondering if there is any risk of these going out of stock in North America in the near future (or impending license expiration issues)? Are there some that would be wise to prioritize over others?

Here's a list of the Ghibli films I'm personally aiming to collect on blu-ray (but I'd invite discussion in this thread on the remainder of the library if people are interested):

Nausicaa
Laputa Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies*
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke (I don't believe this has been released yet)
Spirited Away

*A number of years ago I tried to buy a copy of Grave of the Fireflies on DVD, but those were either out of stock everywhere I looked or ran into the hundreds of dollars. I notice that a new blu-ray was just released.

At some point I'll probably grab a copy of Howl's Moving Castle as well.

Any informed advice would be much appreciated.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums, Tet! I suppose any title, Ghibli or not, runs the risk of going out of print at some point. I don't think any of us outside observers can say for sure if this will happen to the titles you are interested in or when it might. If you plan on sticking around ANN for a while, I'd suggest keeping an eye on this retail forum. We have posters here (i.e. WTK) who are pretty good at letting the rest of us know when a title looks like it's about to go OOP.

I'm a huge fan of Ghibli myself, so I'd love to own anything they put out on Blu-ray. I have a number of their DVD releases.
Tet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Tet! I suppose any title, Ghibli or not, runs the risk of going out of print at some point. I don't think any of us outside observers can say for sure if this will happen to the titles you are interested in or when it might. If you plan on sticking around ANN for a while, I'd suggest keeping an eye on this retail forum. We have posters here (i.e. WTK) who are pretty good at letting the rest of us know when a title looks like it's about to go OOP.

I'm a huge fan of Ghibli myself, so I'd love to own anything they put out on Blu-ray. I have a number of their DVD releases.

Thanks for the welcome! Fair enough on the outsider knowledge issue. I have no real idea how the retail publishing industry works when it comes to anime, so I thought I'd float the question.

Great to see a fellow Ghibli fan (I imagine this is not a rare thing on an anime forum ;P). Seems I jumped the gun on Spirited Away as well. I guess that and Mononoke (the big guns) will come with time.

I was just reading a thread in the retail forum where the individual you mentioned had taken the time to post all that info on Bandai's bankruptcy. Very useful information. Very stressful for anyone scrambling to suddenly fill in a gap before the prices rise out of control. I'll have to cross my fingers another publisher picks up Cowboy Bebop one day. I'd recently given up on trying to find a Patlabor original OVA DVD set, I guess those all sold out years ago. Not a situation I wanted to find myself in with respect to a Ghibli film.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Laputa and Whisper of the Heart were released this year so you're not in danger of those going OOP any time soon (and as you said, Grave of the Fireflies was also released recently). Nausicaä was released last year, but I haven't read anything about that particular title in the OOP thread.

And Totoro, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso haven't been released on blu-ray yet. Totoro is out on blu-ray in Europe though in case you can play European blu-rays.

Tet wrote:
I was just reading a thread in the retail forum where the individual you mentioned had taken the time to post all that info on Bandai's bankruptcy. Very useful information. Very stressful for anyone scrambling to suddenly fill in a gap before the prices rise out of control.

I certainly hope that something like that never happens again because the amount of stress that I got from that was enough to last me a lifetime Wink
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
The big difference with Grave of the Fireflies compared to the others is that it wasn't released by Disney, but instead Central Park Media. As we all know, CPM went defunct in 2009, and thus all of their titles went out of print, permanently. With Disney, they have a much wider supply chain, and aren't in danger of disappearing overnight.

So, yes, they could go out of print, but the rest should be more available.
Tet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Laputa and Whisper of the Heart were released this year so you're not in danger of those going OOP any time soon (and as you said, Grave of the Fireflies was also released recently). Nausicaä was released last year, but I haven't read anything about that particular title in the OOP thread.

And Totoro, Spirited Away and Porco Rosso haven't been released on blu-ray yet. Totoro is out on blu-ray in Europe though in case you can play European blu-rays.

You're right! It seems I was mistaking the blue rimmed DVD packages I saw in the back of a store counter for BD. Four BD titles is a much more manageable couple bites to start the collection. Thanks for the stress decrease! Very Happy

Ortensia1980 wrote:
Tet wrote:
I was just reading a thread in the retail forum where the individual you mentioned had taken the time to post all that info on Bandai's bankruptcy. Very useful information. Very stressful for anyone scrambling to suddenly fill in a gap before the prices rise out of control.

I certainly hope that something like that never happens again because the amount of stress that I got from that was enough to last me a lifetime Wink

Tell me about it, I just discovered this last night and have been scrambling around a bit trying to decide a priority list for a few titles (seems I'm too late on the Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence BD). Not fun. Shocked

gsilver wrote:
The big difference with Grave of the Fireflies compared to the others is that it wasn't released by Disney, but instead Central Park Media. As we all know, CPM went defunct in 2009, and thus all of their titles went out of print, permanently. With Disney, they have a much wider supply chain, and aren't in danger of disappearing overnight.

Interesting (I did not know that! as I said, just learning). So Disney went and bought the license in the wake of the bankruptcy or is there another party involved still beyond Ghibli and Disney? That might be the one to start with if so (which is a bit of a shame since despite being a beautiful film, it's not exactly one you want to bust out over the holidays Laughing ).
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Disney has the rights to most of the Ghibli collection and GKids has (almost?)all the rest. Sentai's behind the BD release of Grave of the Fireflies, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1