• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru 2 Slated for January 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
He was perfect at ~everything~ except Karuta, and he just cannot stand that Chihaya and Arata are better at it than him.

Now, considering that thus far in his life he's been basically perfect at ~everything~ he's done, thats pretty reasonable. I just find it completely unsympathetic.

Why would you find him to be unsympathetic? I thought he was a victim of love, because if he didn't love Chihaya his life would be perfect.

And that's what makes him interesting. He finally finds something he wants to do and it is something he's not that great at. He even defies his mother to do it. He didn't join the karuta club because it was the easy way out or because it would bring him fame and glory, he did it to chase a girl who has him friendzoned. And yet he still goes at it and learns to like karuta for its own sake, even getting past his pride to practice swiping at cards. Chihaya may be the heart of the team but he is the leader, and he grew and grew as a character.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Everything in life came too easy to him, except cardslapping is escaping him now. Boo hoo hoo, so tortured and deep! I'd rather focus on the other three team members before him.

I don't really know how to respond to this. Man, how callous can you be?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I also found his treatment of his (unnamed, and unimportant) girlfriend to be rather despicable.

What was he supposed to to do, never get a girlfriend at junior high because he was still pining for Chihaya? And then once he and Chihaya met again, string his girlfriend along for ever and ever? Better that he cleanly dump her when she made the ultimatum rather than cruelly keep her hopes up and play with her feelings. He made the right choice, and I'm wondering if you aren't just making stuff up.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Why would you find him to be unsympathetic? I thought he was a victim of love, because if he didn't love Chihaya his life would be perfect.

He's too perfect as it is. Compare him to...well everyone else! They all have some things they are good at, and some things the aren't so good at.

But Taichi? He's good at EVERYTHING. The only things wrong with his life (other than his overbearing mother, but of course he has an overbearing mother!) are that he's not as good at Karuta as Chihaya and Arata (who are quite frankly prodigies at this one, very specific, mostly useless thing) and that he doesn't have Chihaya.

So basically his life is perfect. He's top in his class, top in the school even, he's if not rich than at least very well off, is attractive, etc etc etc. Its just too much! He deserves to be not amazing at one goddamn thing, and if he wants Chihaya, then he's going to have to actually make the goddamn effort to get her.

Also I hate, HATE the concept of "friendzoned". (Though I admit I use it sometimes too, but this context specifically irritates me). He's not "friendzoned", he's "never even indicated to her he wants to move beyond being just friends". "Friendzoned" is an incredibly irritating code for "she won't put out for me".

Chihaya has not expressed any romantic interest in anyone as of yet, and far too much of the discussion around the romance aspect of the show (which is way less of a thing than its made out to be, honestly), revolves around how much Taichi "deserves" Chihaya, and how its so terrible that she's obsessed with that loser Arata.

And again, the show isn't about Taichi trying to make his almost-perfect life 100% perfect, its about Chihaya and her friends playing a game they love.

His role in the team, I don't have a problem with, you are right, he is the "leader" and its something he's good at. I like him when he's being the leader, holding back Chihaya's more impulsive ideas, and all the other things he does involving Karuta.

Quote:
What was he supposed to to do, never get a girlfriend at junior high because he was still pining for Chihaya? And then once he and Chihaya met again, string his girlfriend along for ever and ever? Better that he cleanly dump her when she made the ultimatum rather than cruelly keep her hopes up and play with her feelings. He made the right choice, and I'm wondering if you aren't just making stuff up.

He spent a significant amount of time stringing her along as it is, despite the fact that he emotionally disconnected from her basically the moment he met Chihaya again.

tl;dr ship them all you want, but try to keep actual discussion of the series grounded in things that are actually goddamn relevant to the series. I'll keep happily shipping Chihaya and Kana-tan, whom Chihaya's shown approximately the same romantic interest in as either Arata or Taichi (which is to say, none.)

Now maybe this will change later on, but I seriously doubt I'll be jumping on the Taichi train anytime soon.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
You're missing the point about why he doesn't court Chihaya. Meeting Arata is what drives her - it's a big reason why she plays karuta - and Taichi doesn't want to be making moves on her while she's still thinking about Arata. But that's not all. Deep down Taichi - for all of his looks, money, talent and intellect - actually feels inferior to Arata. Arata is the apple of Chihaya's eye and is good at the one thing that Chihaya loves. Taichi wants to be in a relationship with Chihaya but he wonders if he can make her happy in the way Arata can.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Also I hate, HATE the concept of "friendzoned". (Though I admit I use it sometimes too, but this context specifically irritates me). He's not "friendzoned", he's "never even indicated to her he wants to move beyond being just friends". "Friendzoned" is an incredibly irritating code for "she won't put out for me".

This is a load of BS. He may not have put any moves on Chihaya but it's still obvious as heck that he loves her; attending the same high school as her, joining the karuta club instead of the football club, breaking up with his girlfriend, organising that party, and so on. But Chihaya is so dense she can't read the signs. In fact, she doesn't seem to have any sex drive at all. That's what I meant by "friendzoned". She would never in a million years think that Taichi loves her, it just wouldn't occur to her. And she would never think of loving him. Sure, she loves all her team-mates, but platonically (as much as you like your Yuri the Chihaya x Kana pairing ain't happening). Heck, the recap episode even lampooned this.

Yes, he should make his feelings clear to her, except he has his own problems which I described above. But more than that, Chihaya doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would be able to deal with a confession. She's not emotionally ready for love and it is the furthest thing from her mind, so Taichi confessing to her would just weird out their friendship.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
True Chihaya might not be ready for Tachi's inevitable love confession but the longer he delays, the likelihood that her feelings for Arata will grow stronger. Just like when she was on the train, after reading a poem about spoiler[separation, I think], her mind started to wander towards Arata not Tachi. So, while she does consider both to be good friends, it's possible she might start to realize that her feeling for one might just be admiration rather than love.

Plus, Chihaya's so determined to become Queen that she couldn't even focus on her exams let alone worry about romance. Anime hyper

Off-topic: why do so many Pro-Tachi fans want Arata to jump in a lake? (*This is from other forums BTW*) He hardly had any screentime in the show and, when we did start to follow his arc, Chihaya only got to meet him twice plus one phone call. I hope he gets more development in the 2nd season.

I honestly find Pork-kun Yusei (how rare we have a likable 'tubby 'guy in a show with so many beautiful characters AND he's a great Karuta player), Kanade (who was stole the show for me with her vast knowledge of the 100 Poems, gorgeous kimonos, and desire to be a spoiler[reader], Tsutomu (who is a great strategist and, like Kanade, grows stronger in playing karuta), and Shinobu (who I hope will be in the 2nd Season because I want a rematch!!) much more interesting than the love triangle.
Actually, most of the 'side characters' are so interesting that I would love to see more screentime and, perhaps, character development.

I look forward to the new characters so hopefully they will become memorable as well.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm very glad that Morio Asaka and most of the first season's staff are coming back. I hope the episode count remains the same, too.

As for the shipping discussion, I was surprised to see how much I grew to like and feel for Taichi as a character, considering what a bitch-ass bully he was to Arata in the first episodes. Arata, on the other hand, became a much less likeable character to me after he grew up. I know this series isn't really about who ends up with whom, but the love triangle sure makes it more compelling.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
Taichi was the most interesting character of the series for me (although I love all the characters). It seems some people are completely missing the point of his character arc.

It wasn't boo hoo he was good at everything except Karuta....It was before he only went for things he knew he would succeed at. If he didn't succeed he gave up on them.

Karuta was the first thing where he wasn't the best but he didn't run away because of this, he didn't give up. He didn't try to take the easy way out, he kept and keeps trying to improve himself.

And yes Taichi joined the Karuta team because of Chihaya but it is also clear he truly learned to love Karuta as well.

Also from a narrative perspective I find him very far from perfect.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Sweet cant wait cant wait cant wait
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
It wasn't boo hoo he was good at everything except Karuta....It was before he only went for things he knew he would succeed at. If he didn't succeed he gave up on them.

Bingo. I'm honestly not sure how you could watch the show and come to the conclusion that Taichi's life is perfect and everything he does comes easily to him, when it's obvious that, as you said, he only chose to do things that came easily to him.

Taichi was easily the best thing about that show. I don't think he was "friendzoned"--I also hate that word--heck, I don't think he should end up with Chihaya at all, but it was fascinating watching someone who was used to being the best at something confront the wall that is genius/talent and his little triumphs and failures in how to respond to it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not missing Taichi's character arc, I just don't care. I don't care about his motivations or lot in life, I am unsympathetic to his cause. Maybe I should frame it like this: I like the other characters far more and want them to have more screen time over him.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not missing Taichi's character arc, I just don't care. I don't care about his motivations or lot in life, I am unsympathetic to his cause. Maybe I should frame it like this: I like the other characters far more and want them to have more screen time over him.

I can sympathize with not enjoying a character as much as others but Taichi is pretty much the deuteragonist of the series so second to Chihaya he is going to get the most screen time.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad Chihayafuru will be back soon! I look forward to more of "Hikaru no Go's little sister", lol.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm not missing Taichi's character arc, I just don't care.

If you don't want people assuming you don't understand something, perhaps you should avoid posting erroneous, inflammatory summaries of the subject.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
I don't think he was "friendzoned"--I also hate that word--

Heck, throw in "confession of love" in there too, since it's a misnomer. You don't really know if you love someone unless you're a couple and find out if you complete each other, so it's not for confessing about.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

Taichi was easily the best thing about that show. I don't think he was "friendzoned"--I also hate that word--heck, I don't think he should end up with Chihaya at all, but it was fascinating watching someone who was used to being the best at something confront the wall that is genius/talent and his little triumphs and failures in how to respond to it.

From this perspective I rather agree. I think I just have issues with A) how it was presented and B) how 95% of his fans just whine about that nasty Arata and how stupid Chihaya is for not acknowledging his ~obvious~ feelings.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
musouka wrote:

From this perspective I rather agree. I think I just have issues with A) how it was presented and B) how 95% of his fans just whine about that nasty Arata and how stupid Chihaya is for not acknowledging his ~obvious~ feelings.

I try to stay off forums with crazy, rabid shippers. They ruin shows/books/etc. wherever you find them. They don't even know how batshit they appear when they post the things they do. I try to remind myself that they are probably one-way passengers on the psycho choo-choo, but it doesn't always help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3