• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
Anime shops can be profitable (although I've never visited one that was making serious money; be prepared to exist on fairly small margins), but I've never seen one survive in a large shopping mall.

For all that's worth, AnimeFX has been doing quite fine for...the last five or so years, at Springfield Mall in the DC suburbs.

Do you know what their profit margins are, though? I called around to some of the various anime stores around where I live (there are a ton of them in Southern California) and asked about it and the managers generally agreed that they do exist on fairly small margins. They do well enough to survive and that's basically it. Heck, in my research, I found that one of the biggest and oldest stores in the area, Manga House at the Irvine Spectrum, recently shut down (although this is probably due to the ever-skyrocketing rent at the Spectrum than slow sales).

I mean, I'd characterize the stores as "successful" in that they don't shut down after a year but I'm curious to know if anyone's ever gotten rich opening an anime shop.

Didn't a huge store B&M like Animation Nation (in FL) been shut down recently and they're focusing on online order only?
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I have my writing ready, where do I email it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sam18x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
One thought that occurred to me when reading that first letter(and its response) was:

"When you come to think of it, very few people(even in Japan), even if they prepare their whole lives, will ever be able to realize their lifelong dream in an anime."

Which brought up a question:

Has there ever been any anime/manga about making an anime?

Because, in the above thought, if you replace the words "in an anime" with "to be a Pokemon master", or "to be a Hunter", "to be a master Go player", or "to bake bread for Pantasia"(okay I haven't seen very much Yakitate Japan), you would have the central driving theme for an entire category of extremely successful, long-running anime.

It seems like an idea that is dying to be tried. You know what I mean. You have a young kid just starting out in the world, with nothing to his name but his dream and his determination to make the anime of a lifetime. I'm almost absolutely sure someone has?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
sam18x wrote:

Has there ever been any anime/manga about making an anime?

Yes. It's called Animation Runner Kuromi.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seems like the first one could fall under flake of the week too. Really, I don't remember being that stupid and out of touch with reality when I was 15. Kids these days. When I was their age I was making stupid doujin web comics which had South Park style Evangelion character. (And you should all be thankful the site has since died.)

Trust me, i've seen some real whoppers when I was 15....and that was like back in the 80's....

Quote:
-_- I think Zac can stop answering those "I have a brilliant idea for an anime!" questions now... seriously, there's like one every week.

I second this motion.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Animation Runner Kuromi (SP?) 1 and 2
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
That.Bunny.Is.The.Most.Adorable.Thing.Ever!
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Azumangaman wrote:
Seconded. Smile It's cute; and it looks tasty. Yum. (This joke, sir, is hilarious when used with ladies, who'd seem absolutely distressed at the notion that the person they're talking to is a sadistic bastard who, somehow, would like to eat Thumper.)

Thanks, Zac. Very Happy

Now, to the most cliched thing ever created...

...nah. I cannot ruin my integrity of a writer by writing a bunch of hackjobs. My arrogance supercedes my humor, and that even results in me never ever read a single fanfiction. I guess Inuyasha fangirls and netspeak scare me away... Say, Zac, would you have a consolation prize (not necessary a physical thing; I don't mind! Perhaps just a small part in the next Answerman column is more than enough--not that I expect to win) for an actually original idea submitted?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Azumangaman wrote:
Seconded. Smile It's cute; and it looks tasty. Yum. (This joke, sir, is hilarious when used with ladies, who'd seem absolutely distressed at the notion that the person they're talking to is a sadistic bastard who, somehow, would like to eat Thumper.)

? Sadistic bastard? Have you never eaten rabbit before? I assure you, it's done quite a bit, and is even sold in some supermarkets and served in restaurants. Personally, I love rabbit.

[edit - I totally might have misread your comment. I thought you were opposed to eating rabbit in general.]

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Zac. Very Happy

Now, to the most cliched thing ever created...

...nah. I cannot ruin my integrity of a writer by writing a bunch of hackjobs. My arrogance supercedes my humor, and that even results in me never ever read a single fanfiction. I guess Inuyasha fangirls and netspeak scare me away... Say, Zac, would you have a consolation prize (not necessary a physical thing; I don't mind! Perhaps just a small part in the next Answerman column is more than enough--not that I expect to win) for an actually original idea submitted?

Actually the bunny in the photo is my pet bunny rabbit. Please post photos of your pets so I can joke about murdering them.

Anyway, as for your second comment, I'm in the middle of planning an event that involves people sending in their original anime ideas. Hold out for that one.
Ceru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
I miss the kittens, but that bunny is awfully cute. Check out cutenessoverload.com... they even have baby sloths! It's too much, it's too much!

As for the person who was talking about TB and how we don't see it in the west-- my university actually just had a "TB scare"; a friend of mine was diagnosed with the disease and will be in the hospital for the next 2 months Sad. All the people in my program had to be tested for it afterwards, it was a little freaky--and this is just your average Canadian school. Razz

Anyway, I'm very looking forward to this cliched anime idea. My time has come! Thank you, Zac!
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Please post photos of your pets so I can joke about murdering them.

I would, but I ate my pet back in about '74.

She looked something like this: http://www.geocities.com/fluffy_ducky28/Duck1.jpg
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This is my cat, Raisin! He's very much edible!
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
? Sadistic bastard? Have you never eaten rabbit before? I assure you, it's done quite a bit, and is even sold in some supermarkets and served in restaurants. Personally, I love rabbit.

[edit - I totally might have misread your comment. I thought you were opposed to eating rabbit in general.]
Oh, it was a joke my friend made to a girl (also a friend). She hated him ever since; for me, it was hilariously funny, not because of the joke itself, but because of the girl's reaction. Laughing
Zac wrote:
Actually the bunny in the photo is my pet bunny rabbit. Please post photos of your pets so I can joke about murdering them.

Anyway, as for your second comment, I'm in the middle of planning an event that involves people sending in their original anime ideas. Hold out for that one.
Wow. I never knew I just (kinda...) advocated the consumption of the columnist's most adorable rabbit pet. Ouch.

(talking about eating pets remind me of the Excel Saga manga's joke--poor puppy)

Oh, and thanks for the news. I'll wait for it, then. Wink
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I never knew I just (kinda...) advocated the consumption of the columnist's most adorable rabbit pet. Ouch.

(talking about eating pets remind me of the Excel Saga manga's joke--poor puppy)

Oh, and thanks for the news. I'll wait for it, then. Wink

You mean baby cow, chicken and pig arn't adoreable? But seriously, ducks are adorable and they taste good. Some of my friend that are korean told me they have dog farm there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6