• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bible Black: New Testament no sub

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sukottosan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Bible Black: New Testament there no japanese
only english what up with that
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
They didn't include Japanese because they hate you. You can always go with fansubs though, if any exist of it.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I dont like this reccomendation of fansubs.

yes they exist, but the question about them being legal or not is moot, they are illegal and by suggesting them you are encouraging the proliferation of illegal material on the web. I will admit I too have indulged in the occasional fansub, and have often felt bad about doing so, but as a rule if I watch somehting subbed I buy those episodes etc even if I didn't enjoy watching them.

I often hear people saying that fansubs are a good way to test out a series...I say a far better method is to watch a few AMV's, often these show what the series is like well enough.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I don't like this reccomendation of fansubs.

yes they exist, but the question about them being legal or not is moot, they are illegal and by suggesting them you are encouraging the proliferation of illegal material on the web. I will admit I too have indulged in the occasional fansub, and have often felt bad about doing so, but as a rule if I watch somehting subbed I buy those episodes etc even if I didn't enjoy watching them.

I often hear people saying that fansubs are a good way to test out a series...I say a far better method is to watch a few AMV's, often these show what the series is like well enough.

well, from what i understand AMV's arent 100% legal either. So, testing on those is basically the same as testing on fansubs. And i believe watching an episode is a far better way than random clips of the series. But maybe thats just me.

Also, i'll admit now i test on fansubs (if avaliable).
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I don't like this reccomendation of fansubs.

Don't get me wrong I'm also against fansubs. Especially if there is a perfectly legal R1 DVD that exists of it. I just don't like it when companies have dub-only DVDs. That's the only time I download fansubs of licensed material. And yes, I know it's illegal. I'm not the kind of diehard fansub lover though who will only watch fansubs and thinks all anime should be free.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
The official reason why Bible Black: New Testament's R1 USA release only contains the English audio track is due to previous incarnations popularity. Milky, the licensor for the franchiuse, felt that too many Japanese customers were buying US versions (think of it this way, the Japanese have a choice of censored, one episode discs at $70 a pop, or either downloading it from WinNY, or buying uncensored, two episodes a disc at $30) instead of the Japanese ones, and so this is a measure to quell reverse importation. Media Blasters/Kitty said over at AoD that while it is understandably frustrating, they would have denied the Japanese track to ANY licensor, so they put up with it (since it's the adult equivilent of Kenshin or Berserk when it comes to sales, re: very, very popular).

I don't think fansubs are nessecerally a bad thing in this case, though realistically, I'd rather buy the English version (uncensored video), get a fansub, and jigger it about so you can have Japanese voices (and somehow get a timed script, or time a script yourself).
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute how are AMV's illegal? If you're using DVD's you bought as the source and not fansubs shouldn't it be fine? I mean I've noticed a lot of people with subs in their vids and it pisses me off, 'cause I'm trying to do one with the material I have.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Wait a minute how are AMV's illegal? If you're using DVD's you bought as the source and not fansubs shouldn't it be fine? I mean I've noticed a lot of people with subs in their vids and it pisses me off, 'cause I'm trying to do one with the material I have.

THAT is legal. However, of all the AMV's iv'e seen (which is ALOT!) most are from fansubs, and therefore illegal.

but i love AMVs Very Happy so if you wanna make 'em legal, go for it. I'd love to see it done right for once!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

AMVs theoretically fall under fair use, the problem is when you distribute them freely over the internet, as you are distributing copyrighted material from both an animation, and a song, to which you have no rights over.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

AMVs theoretically fall under fair use, the problem is when you distribute them freely over the internet, as you are distributing copyrighted material from both an animation, and a song, to which you have no rights over.

so, you're saying if one was to charge for amv's, then they would in turn be 100% legal?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

so, you're saying if one was to charge for amv's, then they would in turn be 100% legal?

No. In order to charge for something, you have to be distributing it, as it'd be a product bought by a customer, therefore distributed, in a way.

Downloaded AMVs are not 100% legal, infact unless you own the copyrights to either the animation or the song, then it's illegal (not nessecerally immoral, though).

If a licensor of both animation and song happened to make a music video using anime and then distributed it by whatever means, then that would be legal.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
The Frankman wrote:

only if one purchased the rights to both the song and the footage used.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've sort of re-directed this. Maybe I or someone should make this into a new topic.

My whole deal is this: I bought the DVD, are not using the music (just the image), recording some music over it and rearranging them to give the clips meaning . . . well you know most AMV's! You're telling me what I'm doing is as bad as downloading ONE fansub? Now I feel like crap, getting the programs and collecting the anime DVDs for nothing.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Okay, I've sort of re-directed this. Maybe I or someone should make this into a new topic.

My whole deal is this: I bought the DVD, are not using the music (just the image), recording some music over it and rearranging them to give the clips meaning . . . well you know most AMV's! You're telling me what I'm doing is as bad as downloading ONE fansub? Now I feel like crap, getting the programs and collecting the anime DVDs for nothing.

well, no. Making an AMV is actually a good idea, because i love watching them. They arent hurting anyone...downloading fansubs 24/7 no matter what, however, is a different matter. People with the "all anime must be free!" mindset deserve to be assraped.

personally, i think it's cool you're making an AMV. Hopefully you're using .hack// in there (shugo man Very Happy nice avatar)

as long as you pretty much DONT do what i said and charge for it, you're golden. go for gold!

if you're wondering, i think it would also be 100% legal to make an AMV from unliscensed anime, and you're own/unliscensed music....wait, no. don't read that crap. it's wrong. Looking back, it makes no sense. (i mean the above paragraph only)
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:

well, no. Making an AMV is actually a good idea, because i love watching them. They arent hurting anyone...downloading fansubs 24/7 no matter what, however, is a different matter. People with the "all anime must be free!" mindset deserve to be assraped.

Applying the law only when it's convenient doesn't make it a law then. Smile AMV can be illegal too, though I'm not specifically knowledgeable about the parameters in which it'd be considered illegal. But previous posters have been talking about it so no need for me to bump them.

I actually checked out some of those AMV's and man... 99.99% amateur crap. I still like "Euphoria", the one that used RahXephon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1