• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Titan A.E.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I was watching this yesterday and I was just wondeing if it can be called anime and if it can I am try to get it put in the encyclopedia. This is one of my favourite movies of all time. I fell in love with it when I was little and I still love it to this day.

It's about a human named Cale and when he was little an alien race called the Dredj destroyed Earth so now the few surviving humans live in drifter colonies. Cale has a map that can lead him to the Titan, which is a giant ship that has the power to create a planet. The Dredj are after him and are trying to kill him to prevent him from creating a new Earth.

I'm not so sure about the spelling of dredj so if it's wrong I apologize. If you guys have seen it, post what YOU think of it and if you haven't I suggest watching it.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I don't think so. While you can make the argument that it was made in asian studios and so forth, Titan A.E was clearly of american design. And as we all of debated in past other posts, anime counts only as animation who's origins was found in japan.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
"Anime" is a term used to identify any and all animation that was specifically produced in Japan. Titan A.E., being a Don Bluth film produced by 20th Century Fox in the US, thus does not qualify as anime.

And since people in other threads seem to get confused on this point, saying that Titan A.E. is not anime is not a comment against the quality of the film. That's not at all saying it's an "inferior" movie, but merely stating the fact that its nation of origin is not Japan. Just clarifying, because some people tend to get a bit worked up when you say that stuff like Heavy Metal and The Boondocks isn't anime, because they tend to think you're somehow insulting the show by saying so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I love this movie. Now I feel like watching it. Don Bluth has made some great movies, and I think Titan A.E. probably had a few anime influences here and there. It was cool since there usually aren't that many American animated science fiction movies.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Please refer to the Rejected Titles thread before adding a title to the Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
[Bond]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Don Bluth is your god.
Unfortunately, this movie kind of sucked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
[Bond] wrote:
Unfortunately, this movie kind of sucked.

I'd have to agree. If you want a well done, non-Disney, traditionally animated feature, I'd recommend The Iron Giant.
dark_hand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:20 pm Reply with quote
i found this movie to be very well-made. the ideas and the universe is pretty inovative to say the least. i couldn't enjoy it though cause i found it to be too light-hearted as it is intended for youger audience.
although it cannot be called anime cause as the people mention here it is very american, it is still a good show. who cares if a cartoon is an anime or not, if it's good then it is good no matter what.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
dark_hand wrote:
I found this movie to be very well-made. The ideas and the universe are pretty innovative to say the least.

That's BS. The whole subplot of the Titan ship was a ripoff of the Genesis Project from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
That's BS. The whole subplot of the Titan ship was a ripoff of the Genesis Project from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Of course, by that theory very little if any media (animated or otherwise) is going to be anything other than a ripoff of something that was a ripoff of something else.

Sure, Titan A.E. has a lot of pretty predictable elements woven through it. Didn't dampen my enjoyment of the movie at all. Of course, I'm one of those people who almost prefers to watch movies (and TV shows) and read books to see how the creators worked with the traditional and potentially clichéd elements rather than be sitting on the edge of my seat in suspense because I don't know what will happen next.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Shadrach is right, by that argument and that degree of basic similarities just about anything is a "ripoff", including most every anime. Like it or not, there's always similar elements throughout most movies, shows, anime or whatever. You go write a story and hand it to someone and chances are if they did a little digging around they could find something it could have been "ripped off" from whether you actually ever saw or read it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Titan A.E was overhyped if you ask me. The self proclaimed "Star Wars of our times" was too much of an exaggeration. This movie did have alot going for it but it ended up being a bore in the end. Typical death of a traitor, destruction of a threat to humanity and getting a new planet in the process = bore. Thank god it was at least pleasing to the ears. Good soundtrack and voice acting is what saved this movie for me.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet, but I picked it up at FutureShop for 6 dollars! I can't wait!
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Azumangaman wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but I picked it up at FutureShop for 6 dollars! I can't wait!

You got ripped off. I saw it at Target and Wal-Mart for under $5.
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking about Canadian Dollars, although I guess you knew that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2