• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steamboy - Yay or Nay

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I really wanna check this one out but I want a final assessment if it's worth checking out. The thought of Anna Paquin doing the dub voice for Ray is kinda pushing me away from this one but your input will help me in my decision.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Newcomer wrote:
I really wanna check this one out but I want a final assessment if it's worth checking out. The thought of Anna Paquin doing the dub voice for Ray is kinda pushing me away from this one but your input will help me in my decision.

meh not a favorite....i'd honestly just go (if you want a film) with something more interesting, like Appleseed 2004 or maybe Howl's Moving Castle.
huh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
while i thought it wasnt bad, i wasnt wildly impressed by it. i thought it was only slighlty above average, so i wouldnt buy it unless you love otomo's work. although since it is visually impressive and not a bad film, i would rent if i were you.
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
It's visually impressive, though I have no idea how true that would be on a TV set as I saw it in a theater. The story itself was ok, so I think Steamboy is well worth a buy if you can get it a discount. If you're into alternate history then the movie really should be on your to-buy list.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Anna did a terrific job playing Ray I thought and I loved the movie. You can check my anime list for a better rundown of why I liked it as I go more in depth there. But in a nutshell contrary to the beliefs of others I thought it had a great story and characters and was told very well with a healthy dose of action, but not mindless action, to keep even the most hardcore action fans happy.

The animation is gorgeous and the soundtrack is one of the best, it's worth at least giving it a shot as a rental if you're concerned about making the purchase. I really think it's a severely underrated film and don't understand much of the criticism, but to each their own. I recommend it though, it's worth at least one viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Although it wasn't terrible, it was definately not worth as much as they spent doing that movie.

I wouldn't buy it. If you really want to see it just get yourself a fansub.

Luminal
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I cared for this movie so little, I can't even remember if I watched the sub or the dub of it. I really can't! I also fell asleep during part of it at the end. The art and the animation is absolutely gorgeous, and I love all the intricate mechanical designs and stuff. But really, I can't give it much more credit than that. The action seens are thrilling in the beginning, but the movie was just stretched out for too damn long. I'll say "nay" for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
i can hoenstly say i liked this more than Howl's Moving Castle. at least it was fun to watch.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I give it a Yay. Other than knowing it was directed by Otomo Katsuhiro, I didn't have extremely high expectations when first watching it.

Like others have said, the art and animation were very well done, especially with the detail of all the mechanical riff-raff. Music wise, it has a sort of contemporary, yet Victorian feel to it, but overall, it fit the atmosphere with no problem.

I've only seen it once and in English because I loved having the opportunity to hear Patrick Stewart dub an anime. He and Alfred Molina did excellent jobs with a great deal of authenticity behind both voice quality (namely, the British accents) and acting. The only problem I had with Anna Paquin was that she would sort of sound British and then Australian, but that's understandable since she is from New Zealand.

Story wise, it's not the most exciting plot. In fact, I'd say it was more like a family movie than anything else. It reminds me of that feeling I used to get watching Disney movies as an 8-10 year old with my friends and family.

I would recommend it if you aren't picky and just want something with a pretty simple plot and easy to understand characters. If you don't have patience and want something full of "action," just stick with Bebop.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i can hoenstly say i liked this more than Howl's Moving Castle. at least it was fun to watch.

what was wrong with moving castle, besides the bullshit ending?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1