• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ah! My Goddess...opinions?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
i was messing around on teh internet, and somehow came across this series...which looks pretty good. I was wondering what you all thought of it; worth my time, or a waste? (btw i enjoy romance/comedy and otherwise "weird" series like FLCL, serial experiments lain and boogiebop phantom)

worth my time?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Does the phrase

"Use the Search function to look through the forum for previous posts on a topic, before starting a new thread"

mean anything to you, at all?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the OVA series and I haven't seen the movie or the TV show yet, but I really enjoyed the OVAs a lot. Belldandy and Keiichi are probably one of the cutest anime couples ever. Belldandy is just so sweet and kind that you can't help but smile everytime you see her and it also has some good comical moments, such as whenever Urd tries to get Keichii to make a move on Belldandy. The one thing I didn't like about the OVAs was that it was too short. I felt like there wasn't enough time for them to fully develop the characters outside of Belldandy and Keiichi, so the ending feels a little bit rushed to me. However, I hear the TV show is even better than the OVAs and I really look forward to seeing that myself. Ah My Goddess isn't really a "weird" series, but the OVAs are still worth checking out if you're looking for a good romantic-comedy anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I've only seen the OVA series and I haven't seen the movie or the TV show yet, but I really enjoyed the OVAs a lot. Belldandy and Keiichi are probably one of the cutest anime couples ever. Belldandy is just so sweet and kind that you can't help but smile everytime you see her and it also has some good comical moments, such as whenever Urd tries to get Keichii to make a move on Belldandy. The one thing I didn't like about the OVAs was that it was too short. I felt like there wasn't enough time for them to fully develop the characters outside of Belldandy and Keiichi, so the ending feels a little bit rushed to me. However, I hear the TV show is even better than the OVAs and I really look forward to seeing that myself. Ah My Goddess isn't really a "weird" series, but the OVAs are still worth checking out if you're looking for a good romantic-comedy anime.

yes, i figured it was romance comedy...thats good. cause i loved chobits and love hina to death. fruits basket looked good, but i never tried it...i wonder if thats anything good?

and encyclopedia stff dude....sorry, truly, im kinda new...and I've never seen that option before ._.
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
A truly great tv series! HIGLY RECCOMENDED!
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
and encyclopedia stff dude....sorry, truly, im kinda new...and I've never seen that option before ._.

Of course you haven't. It only appears on every page load of the forums.

Here's how to find it:

Scroll to the top of the page and look to the right... no, the other "right". Yes, that's fine. Now look at the bit where it says "Forum Functions". Now, find the third option. One, two, three... there you go: " Search".

See how easy it is to find?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
NyuuChan wrote:

Of course you haven't. It only appears on every page load of the forums.

Here's how to find it:

Look to the right... no, the other "right". Yes, that's fine. Now look at the bit where it says "Forum Functions". Now, find the third option. One, two, three... there you go: " Search".

See how easy it is to find?

- abunai

ok, sorry i never noticed it before. Won't happen again. But if i might also add, you're kinda being just a BIT of a jerk. Just a little....
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
NyuuChan wrote:
ok, sorry i never noticed it before. Won't happen again. But if i might also add, you're kinda being just a BIT of a jerk. Just a little....

Yes, indeed I am. Though I prefer the term "curmudgeon". It sounds more.... dignified.

Meanwhile, you just happened to be the winner of the rant I promised myself to deliver unto the thousandth user I observed being unable to use a simple search function. Aren't you the lucky one?

- abunai
Area88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
START WITH THE OVA then move onto the TV series.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Azumangaman wrote:
A truly great tv series! HIGLY RECCOMENDED!

the OVA (s) and movie any good?

and i really, really hope all the staff here isnt like this....
Area88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering the OVA came first and without neither the Movie or TV series would have been made, then YES if you want to watch Ah My Goddess its the right place to start.

Your enjoy the TV series that much more if you start with the OVA imo. The movie on the otherhand can be watched at anytime since it's very much self contained.

The 2 DVDs for the OVA can be picked up cheap too which is a BONUS. Bearing this in mind, finacially requires alot less commitment than starting with a 6 dvd tv series.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Considering the OVA came first and without neither the Movie or TV series would have been made, then YES if you want to watch Ah My Goddess its the right place to start.

Your enjoy the TV series that much more if you start with the OVA imo. The movie on the otherhand can be watched at anytime since it's very much self contained.

The 2 DVDs for the OVA can be picked up cheap too which is a BONUS. Bearing this in mind, finacially requires alot less commitment than starting with a 6 dvd tv series.

i plan to buy the movie, the OVA, because i've seen them both in stores, however i have yet to see the anime...and i really dont want to have to...well...you know... Sad
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
the staffs fine, Abunai is usually as docile as they come, probably just a bad day.

though I did a brief scan of the latest 3 pages and saw nothing with a title pertaining to Ah! My Goddess and considering how slowly this site moves that puts it around 3-4 weeks without a new topic on it.

now onto the topic itself.

personally(I have only seen the series) it felt...pointless...through 26 episodes the couple become...nothing...now yes people will give you all kinds of things talking about how they are the quintissential married couple but to me it felt like a cop out. Obviously there is no doubt that they are going to end up together(its a romance series...one guy and a very cute girl appears in the first episode...its anime...simple as that really) btu to me it feels as if they skipped the whole relationship part and jumped into them getting along. To me it felt like their was Romance...but muted, more of something taken for granted...we know they love each other...lets see what happens to everyone else...rather than an in your face full romance geting together kind of thing.

if you are after a developed romance then try something more along the lines of Kare Kano(earlier episodes...up to about 18 or so) or a sad one try SaiKano
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
the staffs fine, Abunai is usually as docile as they come, probably just a bad day.

though I did a brief scan of the latest 3 pages and saw nothing with a title pertaining to Ah! My Goddess and considering how slowly this site moves that puts it around 3-4 weeks without a new topic on it.

now onto the topic itself.

personally(I have only seen the series) it felt...pointless...through 26 episodes the couple become...nothing...now yes people will give you all kinds of things talking about how they are the quintissential married couple but to me it felt like a cop out. Obviously there is no doubt that they are going to end up together(its a romance series...one guy and a very cute girl appears in the first episode...its anime...simple as that really) btu to me it feels as if they skipped the whole relationship part and jumped into them getting along. To me it felt like their was Romance...but muted, more of something taken for granted...we know they love each other...lets see what happens to everyone else...rather than an in your face full romance geting together kind of thing.

if you are after a developed romance then try something more along the lines of Kare Kano(earlier episodes...up to about 18 or so) or a sad one try SaiKano

SaiKano made me cry.....so did elfen lied. That's why im looking for something more like chobits or love hina, those were fun, not depressing...

does anyone know if fruitsbasket is worth anything??
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:22 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

Post a new topic and get slammed for posting the umpteenth iteration of it. Hunt up an on-topic but old thread from way back, and you get slammed for necroposting.

"Bear in mind that this topic is 4.25 millenia old and it's a little late for discussing it."

Never mind the fact that the person reading that thread MAY HAVE JUST DISCOVERED THE ANIME IN QUESTION FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!! And come to your fine site to check it out.

I know running a board is a royal pain from my own experience, although I never ran one this big. But still, if you want to enforce a particular behavior/style, kindly let us know what it is. If there is supposed to be a single thread for any given series, which is what staff seems to be suggesting here, then encourage, don't discourage, people from posting on it.

Oh, and I was a curmudgeon before being a curmudgeon was cool, sonny. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2