• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA's Lust

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does any one else feel sympathy for FMA's Lust? I think that she's been the only one of the homoculi who really, truly wants to become human and feels betrayed by her "master's" true reasons.

I've been watching this on Cartoon Network so I'm not as up on it as some you seem to be, but I'm beginning to hope that Lust gets what she wants, not her "master's" twisted desires.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
WHOA! Spoiler tags PLEASE!!

I really started liking lust. I remember the first time i saw her in the manga I was expecting her to be the main villain, some witchy type of lady. I never thought she would end up being one of the most likeable characters in the series.

I also have a question. At what point does the anime deviate from the manga. Is this business with spoiler[Dante, the Gate, and Al becoming a Philosopher's stone ] in the manga? The farthest I read upto was ch16, which is just a bit after spoiler[Hughes dies]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoy Lust as a character. I suppose she's there to show that the Homonculi aren't completely souless, even if they believe themselves to be.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The anime deviates from the manga in multiple places. It's been a while since I've read the manga, but there are parts in the beginning that have almost the same set of events with the order tweaked slight in the anime. As the anime and manga move farther on however, they seem to deviate more and more to the point that the manga runs after the anime ends. I really can't remember exactly where the manga and anime start to really deviate (maybe someone else can help), but I remember that there started to be scenes in the manga that would never show up in the anime. For example, in the beginning of both versions, Ed and Al went to this coal mining town where he saved it from that corrupt military guy from transmuting stone into gold, and he also met Lyra there. Later in the manga, there's another scene there with a young female character that seemed to hold future importance, but I don't remember seeing it in the anime. Ed and Al weren't present in that manga scene, it's one of those "in the meanwhile over in..." sort of scenario.

Anyway, on to the question.
At first, I didn't really like Lust since the creators didn't put her in that sort of light. But now that [AS] is getting towards the end of the series, things have definitely changed a bit. I've missed a few episodes so the deatils of her story is besides wanting to be human, but I don't view her as opposition to the Elric brothers anymore. I think maybe she might actually be able to help them achieve their goal. Or y'know, she might be killed. Actually, spoiler[since some of you have forgotten spoiler tags, it's quite apparent that she's killed by Wrath.]
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
WHOA! Spoiler tags PLEASE!!

I really started liking lust. I remember the first time i saw her in the manga I was expecting her to be the main villain, some witchy type of lady. I never thought she would end up being one of the most likeable characters in the series.

I also have a question. At what point does the anime deviate from the manga. Is this business with spoiler[Dante, the Gate, and Al becoming a Philosopher's stone ] in the manga? The farthest I read upto was ch16, which is just a bit after spoiler[Hughes dies]

it goes off from the manga around when Greed show up. in the current arc of the manga spoiler[Greed comes back]
Phate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but Lust was always one of my favorite characters.

spoiler[I hate how she dies in the series though. I think it was a good choice to kill her off, it's good drama, but the way they did it was dissapointing. There were much better ways to get rid of her.]
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I agree
spoiler[i think there could've been more dramatic ways for her to die, like maybe taking a bullet for ed/al, something like that]
Phate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
I agree
spoiler[i think there could've been more dramatic ways for her to die, like maybe taking a bullet for ed/al, something like that]

spoiler[Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of it having something to do with Scar... But he died first. Oops... She should have at least fought Dante or Envy... Anyone other than Wrath would have been good, actually.]
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
so whats considered Canon to the plot the anime or the manga?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
Both. Neither. Whatever.

The movie seems to take the anime as canon, and any potential future tv series likely would as well. I'm not sure which the games take as canon though. Unlike most series where the anime is just a spinoff of the manga (or occasionally vise versa), this series was sort of all done at the same general time, so I doubt there is a definite canon to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1