• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FF Advent Children DVD info

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I read this pathetic bit of news about the upcoming DVD over at thedigitalbits.com:

Quote:
Mike Stradford told me that Sony's working hard to get the film released on DVD here in the States by the end of 2006. Apparently, it's taking a little extra time to work with the director to get all the supplemental elements finished, but the title is on track for release sometime later this year.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
*Watchs his surprise meter dip.* Confused Once again, people that wanted to see, seen it by now. They have to have alot of "supplemental elements" in order for most of the people that seen the movie to bite, alot more then what said 5 months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
What I find odd is that people assume Advent Children will flop now because say, 200,000 people downloaded it. What folk don't realise though is that it's audience, the one that wants to buy it, is much, much larger than that.

While it is irritating, they're not exactly shooting themselves in the foot (more like dropping a needle on it, to be precise)
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
*grumbles* that's disappointing. I don't think it takes that long to dub a movie and put extras on it. I mean, they can fully dub and translate a video game in a year, but a movie should take at most, only half a year. T.T Pity.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
*grumbles* that's disappointing. I don't think it takes that long to dub a movie and put extras on it. I mean, they can fully dub and translate a video game in a year, but a movie should take at most, only half a year. T.T Pity.

Here is the deal, from what I have heard, the first test dubs was scraped and they keep recasting. Weather this is true or not, I don't know. But knowing Sony, andthing could be the reason.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
"sometime later this year" is the same quote Sony is giving the PS3 and Blu-Ray DVD players. Perhaps they want to also give Blu-Ray an edge by releasing an BR edition with more extras than the standard DVD on the same date. FF7 really contributed in the PS2 sales, maybe they are hoping for FFAC to help in the competition between HDDVD and BR.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
So...what about the ads in the two most recent Electronic Gaming Monthly issues that say "Coming Soon" with pictures of a "Special Edition" DVD and a UMD version? I figured it'd come out some time in February or March, but from that quote at the top of this thread, must I assume that the ads from the company are wrong?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
What a drag! "Sometime this year" was said last year. This movie is becoming a non-event fast with too many delays and its availablility as downloads, Region 2 DVD and Region 0 DVD.

They definitely need to get their acts together!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Another delay? Last date I heard for it was March 28th which wasn't too bad. I'll be old, senile, and blind before this film ever comes over here at this rate. Rolling Eyes

I wish they'd get with the program, I abhor tardiness. Oh well, there will be plenty of other shows comming out this year to occupy my attention anyway, and I'm a patient person. I can wait.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I confess, I downloaded it after I heard about it being out online (via a post on this forum, though not a direct link), but I do intend to buy it when it finally is released on DVD. For now, though, FF7:AC is a strong candidate for the "Lifetime VaporMedia Award."
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we should start referring to Sony as Manga. I would buy the anime if it were on dvd now and I have it on my pc. I don't know if I will a year from now. I might be into something else. Sony is gay as hell. They got all the money in the world. They just don't give a shit about anime fans and this dvd because they make so much money. FFVII dvd is just a pimple on the giant ass of their overall business so they don't care when they finish it. Lucky for us anime fans.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
What I find odd is that people assume Advent Children will flop now because say, 200,000 people downloaded it. What folk don't realise though is that it's audience, the one that wants to buy it, is much, much larger than that.

While it is irritating, they're not exactly shooting themselves in the foot (more like dropping a needle on it, to be precise)

they wouldn't have this problem to begin with if it had came out on time. no one wants to wait that damn long, even the hardcore anime elitists have folded by now.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
lone_samurai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Another delay? Last date I heard for it was March 28th which wasn't too bad. I'll be old, senile, and blind before this film ever comes over here at this rate. Rolling Eyes

Well from what I know that date has yet to change, I've asked around and everyone says the same March 28th. So unless sony pushes the release date back again March is your best bet, only thing left to do is cross your fingers and hope for the best.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
But DVDaholic's quote has been used so far in the news portion of AnimeNation's and AnimeonDVD's websites.

The original source can be found here. Scroll down to the next to last paragraph for the entry dated 1/31/06.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa114.html

Sony has never really confirmed the release dates on the retails sites. So, in theory, all those dates are bogus.

Mike Stradford is Sony's Vice President of DVD Programming and Content according to AnimeNation's website (listed under "Thursday February 2nd 2006").

http://www.animenation.net/news/index.php
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
I want this carved on my tombstone-

1984 - 20??
Died, and still waiting for FF7 Advent Children on dvd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3