• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 2 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
baadaku12345 wrote:
This one is officially subtitled (on Crunchyroll) so I really hoped it would be a dual-audio release. But it's English only....

There's way too much cut out of each episode for a Japanese audio/sub track to match up with the new edited animation.

And I suppose simply adding an English track to the Japanese version with drop-outs where the editing happens would be enough to turn off that nostalgia crowd too!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
Um, I don't think this is the first time it's been on DVD in North America.

...or maybe it is. There's a DVD set on Amazon but it might be a bootleg.

It is, as far as I know this really is the first time we're getting it on a legit, legal DVD release. There are some amazingly nice looking bootleg Digimon sets out there though, that have existed for years, that have kind of contributed to the rumors of it already being available, I think.

StudioToledo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
baadaku12345 wrote:
This one is officially subtitled (on Crunchyroll) so I really hoped it would be a dual-audio release. But it's English only....

There's way too much cut out of each episode for a Japanese audio/sub track to match up with the new edited animation.

And I suppose simply adding an English track to the Japanese version with drop-outs where the editing happens would be enough to turn off that nostalgia crowd too!

That...sounds like it'd be a horribly awkward way to watch the show, yeah. I'd rather just purchase a separate sub set that will hopefully get released eventually, or if they'd done double-sided discs for these, dub on one side and subs on the other, as others have suggested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm deaf and it's a no buy for me on this Digimon series. :/ This and Shout! Factory...>_>
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
Um, I don't think this is the first time it's been on DVD in North America.

...or maybe it is. There's a DVD set on Amazon but it might be a bootleg.

Bootlegs! New Video Group's release of season 1 this year was the first time a complete Digimon series was released on DVD. Other than that there were some Digimon: Data Squad DVDs (only twenty-something episodes, I think.) And Digimon: The Movie also had a DVD release (the one that had Tai as a kid, then Omnimon fighting Diaboromon, then onto Willis with the 02 kids). Other movies were dubbed but only shown on TV. No other seasons had DVDs.

Bootlegs for Digimon have been around for ages. I've considered buying them over the years cause I love Digimon, so I'm glad my patience payed off and they are releasing them officially Smile Hopefully one day they would release subbed collections too! Or at least have all season on Hulu.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the movie, I'm still hoping they'll do some kind of set for the movies that never got a DVD release too, presumably re-packaging 'The Movie' with it too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

If they were release a sub version, it would be best to go the Samurai Pizza Cats route and just release a dun AND a sub set. Between the different OPs, commercial breaks, and paint edits, that would be a mess to put together, and Id rather have the dub the way it was then a reverse-edit that would be pretty sloppy.

Dark Absol wrote:
I'm deaf and it's a no buy for me on this Digimon series. :/ This and Shout! Factory...>_>
You might try buying them Itunes then, because they are closed captioned on there. Not quite the same as a dvd of course, but I have a friend who is in the same situation and thats what she did.

And for the record season 1 did have one DVD that had the first 8 or so eps, but it was pretty terrible. 02 might have done the same but I'm not 100% sure.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:

The official subs are TERRIBLE. Same goes for their subs for Tamers.
TronBonne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Now if they can just release Tamers, I'll worship them!

Oh I'm praying for this to happen! I tried rewatching it on Crunchyroll, but like mentioned, the subs were pretty bad. Like subs missing when a character said a line, things like that.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Amazing. Now if they can get Tamers, my 13-year-old self will cry tears of joy.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
WHOO!!

I adore the hell out of Season 2! Aside from the epilogue, it's an amazing season.

If this is successful enough to get Tamers released Stateside as well, I'm gonna hug someone!

Same here. I'm already giddy over season one and have it marked for Christmas acquisition.

I'm a little sad the series aren't available subbed too, even though I personally have no exposure to them.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, just release tamers and you'll have my money.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
No sub? No buy. Amazing there's companies that think that's acceptable in this day and age. >_>

Agreed. I would be willing to pay 50-100 dollars more if they just added the Japanese track. I know what people are saying, it's the nostalgia, who cares about the Japanese, and it's so edited that you can't add a Japanese track, but that really is no excuse.

I enjoyed the dub as a child, yes, but I learned about the original Japanese, and it now has a very special place in my heart. I'm really hoping another company someday will be able to release destroyed-by-dub titles SUBTITLED (Hell, I don't care if they're raw) with original audio, such as Shaman King, Tokyo Mew Mew, Digimon, and yes, even Pokemon.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Speaking of the movie, I'm still hoping they'll do some kind of set for the movies that never got a DVD release too, presumably re-packaging 'The Movie' with it too.

That would be a dream come true.

And I'm wondering if those can be dual-audio releases, because as far as I know, most of the visual edits on those were sign/credit translations and stuff for time.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
Considering how well the first set sold I doubt NVG cares any about the minority of fans who are upset about no subs. It's pretty much a non factor.

StudioToledo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
baadaku12345 wrote:

No but that would turn off anyone who wants a proper viewing experience. Having the dub cut in and out is a ridiculously bad idea.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
02 pretty much need subs for a buy from me. It's easily the worst Digimon series, and I'd only buy it as a Digimon supernerd completionist. And nostalgia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3