• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Media Blasters: Out of Order?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
Has anyone noticed this? Media Blasters, before they announced they had acquired the rights to the Ah! My Goddess TV series actually had a site but it was never updated, now, and for the past year, their site has been out of order with the same index page with no content to speak of.

With the money that MB is dishing out for these anime acquisitions one would think they could hire someone to put together a website for their company.

Could this be a hint at things to come? MB going under? Or is this some Nefarious attempt at getting everyone to click on their website address knowing that anime fans will get burnt up going to their site trying to look for information about their products and not being able to find any.
AnimeFreak28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
Says their under construction.....
http://www.media-blasters.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
HAHAHAHAHA! That is so retarded. I can't believe a professional anime company would do something so stupid. The "great site wipeout" syndrome was common at the beginning of the web, but come on this is the 21st century. No one should be *that* incompetent anymore. When you decide to build a new house, do you tear down the old one and live in tents while the new one is being built? Of course not. The same thing applies to websites; there's no reason to wipe out the old website while the new one is being built, it couldn't possibly have been *that* bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Of course not.

Um.. yeah you get a camper HELLO?!? :p
Dan42 wrote:
there's no reason to wipe out the old website while the new one is being built,

Sure there is. Maybe they want the domain name, but they don't want to fork over money for bandwidth/design/anything above the most basic of hosting. The site has been like that for a looooooooonnng time. Maybe 'Currently Under Construction' logos are in again and MB is breaking the bank with their new logo. In other news, at least lazy people or space freaks can have one-click access to multiple sites. Damn those Media Blasters!?!?!?! They are so innovative!

Hmm...
MB Privacy Policy wrote:
We do not shall your information with other third parties

Are you sure they aren't 'shalling' your information Dan?
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Now I understand why so many anime fans Media Blasters.

They must so extremely busy trying to shut down Bit Torrent websites that they can't put together a website. Know what, I should put together an anti-Media Blasters website ...

It's sad that Media Blasters sinks all of its money in shutting down anime sites that it can't afford to put together their own website.

Shoot, I put my own website together and it only costs me $13 per month. Maybe $13 per month is more than MB is willing to spend.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
MB's website has been down for a long time (months).

They lost the original somehow (can't remember the details) and are taking their sweet time getting a new one up.

Why they don't at least have a minimal website up with a bit of company information, is beyond me.

It can be done in an hour or two.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Now I understand why so many anime fans Media Blasters.

As for hating MB, they aren't any more aggressive with fansubs that any other company, in fact they are much less so than many companies. Me thinks you're just hating on industry...

-t
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Tempest, I'm not hating on the industry. If I were, I wouldn't own over 200 original anime Region 1 DVD's. Cool

And, Media Blasters site has been down since last summer ever since they announced that they had gotten the license for the Ah! My Goddess TV Series.

Besides, it's not the industry that I'm hating on it's MB. Most anime fansubbers take down their properties once the anime has either been licensed or the release of that anime to DVD. Media Blasters seems to take hardline approach againjst the industry and they come to think of fansubbers as a blight on the anime genre in general.

While other anime distributors praise anime fansub groups for their efforts and honoring the genre only Media Blasters seems dead set against them.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Tempest, I'm not hating on the industry. If I were, I wouldn't own over 200 original anime Region 1 DVD's.

Ahh, I see. My bad then.

-t
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
No problem, tempest. I do support the industry and I don't support piracy by purchasing pirated DVD's or Region 0 merchandise. 100% of my DVD's are Region 1 DVD's which I have purchased through Best Buy, Circuit City, Record Town and Borders. I have also verified the DVD's that I have purchased through eBay through online sources and by keeping informed on bootleg anime. I don't support that industry. I pay between $15-25 per each anime DVD so I do support the industry.

I also purchase Media Blasters DVD's so it's not that I'm against them I just don't like the way they act toward the more honest and ethical anime fansubbers who do pull their works off websites when an anime is licensed. Razz
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
THEIR WEBSITE IS FINALLY RUNNING!
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
WHA--??!!??

I think I'm going to die of shock. Whoa!@!! My Heartbeat is racing very fast ... whatever am I going to do??? Razz
Azumangaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
OK, so it's only a sample site, but still, IT'S VERY MUCH THERE! Razz
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Media Blasters has been reading this topic ... the power of persuasion?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's *much* better than a blank page, even if all the top links lead to rareflix.com Anime smile + sweatdrop

On a related topic, does it bother anyone else that flash eats up so much CPU power? I went to that site and my CPU monitor went through the roof. Of course, this isn't limited to Media Blasters; even ANN has flash banners that make it impossible to open more than a few pages at a time. There must be a problem with the way those flash apps are built, because there's no way that sliding images on a screen should take that much power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
How fast is your computer and how much RAM does it have? I never seem to have this problem. (I have 1GB of RAM and a 2.08GHz AMD Athlon XP 2600+)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2