• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has Anyone Ever Tried To Contact ADV?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDPE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I have a couple of mispackaged ADV releases: one a thin pack box set which contains two copies of the same volume and thus one missing volume, the other is a full retail DVD that contained a promo disc (which for some reason really bothers me). A lot of internet retailers only accept returns in 2 weeks and since I buy quite a lot of anime DVDs it’s often months or years before I get around to watching them so by the time I found the problems it was rather too late to return them, and I don’t even remember where I ordered one of them from.

I contacted ADV via their web form explaining the situation and asking if it would be possible to return the duplicate volume and promo disc for a replacement with the missing volume and retail release. A week later I never got a reply so I tried again and two and a half weeks later still no reply.

Do they normally reply to emails?
Is it likely that they’d replace the discs if I could actually get a response from them?

It seems pointless to keep emailing them if they ignore everyone and it looks like I’ll just have to buy the discs again. It’s great to see that ADV hold their customers in such high regard that they don’t even bother replying to their emails. Even if they replied and said that they won’t replace it that would be one thing, but it seems they’re just ignoring me entirely.

Anyone else ever tried to contact them?
MDPE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Just thought of one other question while I’m here. The promo disk came in the full retail packaging with the cover, insert, survey, bonus disc etc as can be seen here:

http://tinypic.com/k04r41.jpg

I have seen promo games and they generally just come in a CD box or sleeve with a cover that’s also marked as a promo release rather than in the regular retail packaging. Is this also the case with anime?

I was just trying to work out if the retailer had sold me the promo copy or if it was a packaging mistake and a promo disc has been put in a retail box.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I've never tried going through ADV but I do know that many companies can be very slow with their customer support through e-mails or other forms of online contact. If possible I'd say just give 'em a call.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This rule applies to any product, not just DVDs

You should always contact the retailer where you purchased the product first.

The manufacturer should only be contacted if you are unable to resolve the issue with the retailer.

In your case, just take the DVDs back to wherever you bought them and have them replace them.

-t
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

In your case, just take the DVDs back to wherever you bought them and have them replace them.

Just to expand on this a bit. You will usually be able to exchange items for the same product even outside of the return period, often without a receipt. Since the product will be returned as damaged/defective/incomplete, stores tend to have a loose policy on exchanges.

As for contacting them via email, I have not had to do so before. But, you might as well try their 800 #, (800) 282-7202. That would seem like the next logical step for anyone who does not receive a prompt response via email. In fact, it's generally best to do so first, if given the option.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This rule applies to any product, not just DVDs

You should always contact the retailer where you purchased the product first.

The manufacturer should only be contacted if you are unable to resolve the issue with the retailer.

So who should I contact to replace these glitched GitS: SAC DVDs? I sent an e-mail to Bandai once to get my OST #1 replaced, and it went quite smoothly.

However, when I tried contacting them again through the same e-mail address to mention the DVDs (which I bought right before Christmas), I've yet to get a reply after almost three weeks.

Is there another e-mail address I can use or what?
jousha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
If possible I'd say just give 'em a call.

Ditto. Companies would give a quicker (perhaps, better) response through a phone call.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Is there another e-mail address I can use or what?

First question is, did you attempt to return it as defective from wherever you bought it from (DD I tend to think)?

But...

Business Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30AM - 4:30PM Pacific Standard Time
Tel: 1.877.77ANIME (1.877.772.6463)
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I have emailed ADV before for the exchange information when I was exchanging my glitched copy of the Sailor Moon season one boxset and they were always very quick with their responses. Of course, it took forever for them to actually make the exchange. I sent the Sailor Moon season one boxset off in late September to be exchanged and didn't get the exchanged copy until Christmas. I guess all you can do is keep trying or try and contact them through their phone service.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I emailed them once asking about a technical question on their website. I recieved a reply the next day answering my question. I don't know why they're not replying to you. You contacted the customer service department here, right?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
(DD I tend to think)?

Yes, if by 'DD' you are thinking Deep Discount DVD, then you are correct. I was thinking since the Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 glitches were officially announced in a news release, that it'd be easier to just send these back to the mother company (Bandai, Manga, or whoever).

If I were to try and contact DDD now, send them back, and get another set of defective DVDs in exchange (since it's possible that they still have a lot of those in their warehouse), then I would've wasted 3-4 weeks of time (and a little money) when it could've been directed towards a more absolute solution.

It's a technical issue from the company, not the retailer.

Oh, and I also tried contacting Media Blasters about a glitch I found in Otogi Zoushi Vol. 1, but after three e-mails and at least half a year, I never got a reply from them either.

But the thing about that one is I don't know whether it's a product glitch or just a case of one defective item out of a number of good ones, ya' know?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Yes, if by 'DD' you are thinking Deep Discount DVD, then you are correct.

Yup.

As to whether it's easier to deal with DD or Bandai directly, that depends. Since we are talking about a large batch of bad discs, Bandai should have sent out a recall for merchant discs, if they were able to isolate the batch. So DD should have glitch-free discs. You could always ask if DD has switched out their stock when you contact them. I realize it is a problem with Bandai, but merchants are typically required to handle such problems on their level, so that the distributors don't have to waste time on them. That's why it's so easy to exchange things, it gets shipped back as a glitched/damaged item so the store doesn't have to eat the cost. That's also why companies will usually set up a return website or phone #, and send out a release stating to use that method and not return to the store, much like with Innocence.

You are, of course, free to use whatever method you want, and I would imagine the Bandai 800 # I provided above would be the most helpful if you want to get a quick response from them.

Regarding MB, I don't think they have toll-free, but their # is (212) 532-1688. Even though it's been quite a long time, they should still be able and willing to exchange it.
MDPE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information. Looks like they’re just ignoring me. Maybe they don’t want to deal with the problem, but it would be nice if they said they emailed me back and said they didn’t handle such matters.

As I said, I've had Devil Hunter Yohko for at least 2 years and have no idea where I got it from, and the other box set I've had about 6 months. I only found the two problems recently and thought since they're both ADV releases it would be easier to handle both at once.

I’ll just post them back to ADV with a letter so it’s a bit harder to ignore and if they still ignore me I’ll just have to buy them again.

I’d say something like “I’m not going to buy any ADV releases apart from the cheap thin pack box sets from now on” but my opinion of ADV was already sufficiently low that I’d decided to do that some time ago. In my view the less money they have to acquire series’ the better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1