• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for sujestions for anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I am curently collecting GetBackers, and I'm looking for something to watch after that. I will watch any kind of anime so feel free to sujest anything.

If anyone has some sujestions, please let me know.

Here are some animes I have seen already, and liked:

-Berserk (TV) -Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny(TV)
-Bleach (TV) -Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
-Elfen Lied (TV) -Ninja Scroll (movie)
-Excel Saga (TV) -Paranoia Agent (TV)
-FLCL (OAV) -Record of Lodoss War (OAV)
-Gantz (TV) -Samurai 7 (TV)
-Gungrave (TV) -Samurai Deeper Kyo (TV)
-Gunslinger Girl (TV) -Serial Experiments Lain (TV)
-Hellsing (TV) -Vision of Escaflowne (TV)

-Thanks to all that post.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Suggestions.

http://www.anime-planet.com/index.php Go to "Anime Recommendations", type in the title of an anime you liked, and the results will show you what other anime are out there that is similar in content to your input.
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have that site, also i have done that.

Their listings is like nothing compared to what is here. Besides that, I wanted people to recomend to me. If I realy wanted to I could esily go and pick up the 1st thing I see on the shelf, but I like to look more into an anime. I read up on it look for oppinions, then i decide if I want to buy it or not.

But, thatnks for your post.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
*suggest* not sujest
*opinion* not oppinion

Since this post is pretty general, I'm going be lazy and recommend that you go to My Anime List, which has some comments/recommendations for various shows. If a recommendation thread is more specific and asks for certain types, I'll reply, but for ones like this, I don't really know where to start.
The Lance

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Hm, you've done this thread before, why do it again? I recommend you just try things out on your own and not worry about what other people like. You might very well discover something good that not a lot of people know about.
2Real

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
The Lance wrote:
Hm, you've done this thread before, why do it again? I recommend you just try things out on your own and not worry about what other people like. You might very well discover something good that not a lot of people know about.

I thank you for taking your time to coment on my post, But, please think when you coment.

Name me one(1) anime that noone has seen, if you can find that one anime that noone in the world has seen I'd like to know.

ALSO, by doing this and stating what animes I do like people with simalar likes can refer animes that they have seen befor that I might not know about.
Another, I would gladly help out other by refering them to shows they might find interesting. It is a way to help people broden their viewing of anime, I mean people might watch shows they never thoguht they would watch.

*personal note: I am greatly disturbed that I have to explain as to why I am doing this to anyone, but I felt it nessicary so that prehap this wont happen again.

I thank you Zalias for showing you l ist of anime, unforunently we have different taste in anime so I didn't see anything that realy grabed my attention.
jousha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Well, the Gankutsuou (Count of Monte Cristo) seems pretty interesting. I'm only four episodes in and there's been little action, but I'm captivated by the story (and of course, the images).

Um . . . Monster is another anime I need to watch more of (I'm up to three). An interesting horror to the likes of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (at least, that's what it reminds me of so far).

Beck is a good one about kids wanting to be in a band. I liked the characters in that one, and that's probably the first "modern day life" ones I've seen.

Hunter X Hunter is similar to Bleach, Naruto, and Yu Yu Hakusho (same creator, I believe). The characters in it are fun, and Gon is the best protagonist ever. The situations they are put in are cleverly written.

Have you seen Full Metal Alchemist? I'm guessing you have and didn't like it . . .

You need to see Samurai X (Rouroni Kenshin OVA's) . . .

. . . and Black Lion!
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Hey man, try to fix your grammer up a bit Very Happy
anyway i'd recommend Last Exile, which has a great plot, and characters. It takes place mainly in the sky and has some cool aeroplane action; and Chrono Crusade which has a great story, some nice action, demons, and a good ending as well. They both seem to fit the criteria of anime you enjoyed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

Here are some animes I have seen already, and liked:

-Berserk (TV) -Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny(TV)
-Bleach (TV) -Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
-Elfen Lied (TV) -Ninja Scroll (movie)
-Excel Saga (TV) -Paranoia Agent (TV)
-FLCL (OAV) -Record of Lodoss War (OAV)
-Gantz (TV) -Samurai 7 (TV)
-Gungrave (TV) -Samurai Deeper Kyo (TV)
-Gunslinger Girl (TV) -Serial Experiments Lain (TV)
-Hellsing (TV) -Vision of Escaflowne (TV)

2Real wrote:
I thank you Zalis [at least spell my name right Crying or Very sad] for showing your list of anime, unfortunately we have different tastes in anime, so I didn't see anything that really grabbed my attention.

Ah, come now, are our tastes really that different? Sure, I have a lot of cute/girly shows, and I don't really care for .hack, DBZ, Gundam, or Initial D, but a fair amount of the time, things line up pretty well, as I've seen and/or rated well most of the shows in the list above, aside from Gantz, Gungrave, SDK, GS: Destiny, Ninja Scroll, Paranoia Agent, and Berserk. But, I didn't make this post to harrass...

If you liked Gunslinger Girl, you might also enjoy some other girls-with-guns animes like Noir and, to a lesser extent, Madlax. Noir is a story about a pair of hired assassins (good-looking women, of course Laughing ), their mysterious pasts and connections, and their battles with a shadowy group called the Soldats. (It's French, don't ask.) Lots of extreme shootouts, tons of bullets and death, though not very much blood. Madlax, done by the same company as Noir, features an assassin/bodyguard named Madlax, who is an efficient and beautiful killer (especially when she dons an evening gown and goes off to cap some bad guys Smile ). In the midst of a civil war in a Southeast Asian country, Madlax starts to discover her connections to a strange rich girl on the other half of the world. There's some crap in there about books with trippy writing, opening the door to some kind of "truth within truth," and yet another French-named shadowy organization, this time called Enfant. Suggestion: don't really worry about the plot, just fast forward to the gunfighting and fanservice scenes, it'll be more worth your time. Noir and Madlax are also slow-paced shows like Gunslinger Girl, so don't spare the caffeine.

If you were able to follow Serial Experiments: Lain, and you enjoy violence (and it seems like both of these are true), then you might want to check out Texhnolyze--it's by some of the same designers/producers as Lain, and is one of the most violent animes I've watched. Combine one dark and depressing underground city with several warring organizations, an outsider who wants to stir up trouble, a maverick who lives for the fight, and a variety of artifical ("Texhnolyzed") limbs that allow for even more creative killing, and you have Texhnolyze. What could possibly go wrong? Everything. Great art, slow-moving/confusing plot, but even a cute-show lover like me found it worthwhile to watch.

I see the value in getting opinions from others, but it can be very rewarding to find little-known titles for yourself. Granted, every show has been seen by some people, but I imagine that not many have heard of a couple shows called "Sentimental Journey" and "Seraphim Call"--I saw these for cheap prices at Best Buy (each under $20 for 12 episodes, sub-only discs), checked a few reviews, and bought them. SJ is episodic shoujo fluff, but it's interesting to see storytelling that's not one single plot for the whole time. SC is similar, but a strange mix of romance/drama/sci-fi, also episodic (1 ep per girl), and an overall weird and wonderful appearance. I'm not really recommending either of these shows to you, as they're probably not to your taste, but this is just my short story of discovering little-known anime gems.
2Real

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote
Yea, I have wanted to see Noir but haven't gotten around to it yet. I saw the 1st like 3-5 episodes and it realy cought my attention.

The others you mentioned I haven't heard of. I only know animes that I h ave watched other then that LOL don't ask me.

But, thanks again Zalis
benbboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote
Noir is alright..it's above average but i wouldn't get your hopes up too high. I enjoyed many of the titles you did..especially elfen lied, gantz, neon genesis, and to a lesser extent berserk. I would recommend R.O.D. the series to you as well as Samurai Champloo. X the TV wouldn't hurt, but above all I would recommend GITS:SAC. It's a mind engaging anime that always entertains. Good story, characters, great computer animation and good regular animation-except for some instances where they "forget" to add in much of the detail. There should be plenty of dvd's for you to collect in that series-enjoy.
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I suggest you watch Samurai Champloo. It has a simple storyline but it sucks you right in. Also, I think the art style and animation is top notch. The characters are all great. I love how they mix in R&B and hip-hop which makes the music great! 10/10 in my books Exclamation
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1