• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you make Anime Music Videos (AMVs)?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterRoshiX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I know it's a noobish question, but I always wanted to make a few.

What programs do people use? I would like to make mine from dvds.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
You can use Windows Movie Maker or Adobe Premier. The Adobe program is probably far more expensive as most of the are. I just download it and get a serial or a crack. I've never made an AMV though, but i've made demo videos for Counter - Strike a long long time ago. I mostly used Windows Movie Maker, until 1.6 came out, then it became harder to do.

Um...Windows Movie Maker is very easy to use. Import videos, cut videos where you wants, drag to story board, insert music. It's pretty self-explanatory. However I don't know how to get the videos from the DVDs too the pc...some sort of ripping program? I can't help you there.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I suggest you read this CAREFULLY for getting footage from DVDs:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/videogetb.html

I emphasize carefully because if you ask a question in this forum that's easily found in that guide, more likely people will get anal on you (there are a few patient ones who's willing to help you though). You should also read this section for basic steps on creating AMVs without making them look like crap:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/PhadeGuide/

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
If you have Windows XP you've most likely got Windows Movie Maker 2. : )

It's pretty simple. If you'd like any additional help you can contact me on AIM at vortekks.

: )
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know as well, but this question is sort of beyond the pale of this forum. . .as others have said, go to http://www.animemusicvideos.org , read through all the guides and resources available, and try their forums too. But, you get a thumbs-up already for choosing to use DVD footage instead of downloaded fansubs or DVD rips Smile Very Happy
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiousity, what's the current views on the legality of AMVs? We've had a few discussions about it locally, with the opinions ranging from 'within fair use' to 'violates copyright of both video and music'. I can see the fair use side if you're just doing it at home for fun, but either posting on a website, or showing to an audience at a con seems to me to tip it into the violation side of things.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Sam-I-Am wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what's the current views on the legality of AMVs? We've had a few discussions about it locally, with the opinions ranging from 'within fair use' to 'violates copyright of both video and music'. I can see the fair use side if you're just doing it at home for fun, but either posting on a website, or showing to an audience at a con seems to me to tip it into the violation side of things.

Really, no one's yet to get too freaked out over it. I personally don't see the problem with them.

A few bands (Seether and Amy Lee's band) requested all AMVs with their music be removed from the site, but most groups don't seem to care.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
Sam-I-Am wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what's the current views on the legality of AMVs?

Really, no one's yet to get too freaked out over it. I personally don't see the problem with them.

A few bands (Seether and Amy Lee's band) requested all AMVs with their music be removed from the site, but most groups don't seem to care.

The honest truth is that trading AMV's is illegal in the US and most of the developed world. Also, many content creators don't actually own the media they create and thus are not in a position to allow copyright infractions even if they wanted to. Thus, if the actual copyright holder ever became aware of their protected content being used creating and trading AMV's, they would be able to challenge it regardless of what the original creators had to say about it.

I appreciate alternative personal views, but the law is quite clear on subjects like this. Just because it's been allowed so far doesn't mean it's legal and it doesn't mean you'll be able to get away with it forever. There was a time not so long ago when people swore we'd never see consumers taken to court for trading music files. Now we know better. AMV's are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from pirated music tracks.

In US copyright enforcement cases, you can be fined up to $250,000 and receive 5 years in jail PER INFRACTION. Just because this hasn't yet become common place doesn't mean it's not just around the corner. Already the RIAA and MPAA are complaining that their current enforcement policy (targeting out-of-court settlements generally between $1,000 and $10,000) isn't working as hoped. Thus, they may eventually seek maximum damages in more and more cases.

If you disagree with these laws then by all means you are free to petition your elected leaders to change them. Just don't give people any false sense of security in the mean time.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
ok im confused i too want to have a go at making a couple of these i made my own film trailers before for my film studies class but how do u get the fottage from dvd onto ur windows movie player????

please let me know if u know yea

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
How to Make Your Own AMV (En Masse)

Step 1: Find a song. Not just any song, mind you, because you want people to watch it and get pumped and/or feel the pain in their hearts that they feel whenever they hear a Linkin Park song. So use a Linkin Park song, since it covers both the "depression" aspect and the "getting angry at the world" aspect.

Step 2: Find clips from an anime. Not just any anime, mind you, because you want people to watch it and get pumped and/or feel the pain in their hearts that they feel whenever they watch an episode of Dragon Ball Z. So use clips from Dragon Ball Z, specifically those that involve turing "SUPER SAIYAN 9" or whatever.

Step 3: Combine them with your favorite movie-creating program. Don't worry if timing and placement matches certain characteristics of both the show and song, because what you are concerned about is the message. The message of anger and betrayal that you get when your mom won't let you go to the mall and pick up that Evanescence T-shirt from Hot Topic.

Step 4: Distribute it on the internet. Eventually, the RIAA will catch wind of your actions and slam you down with the fury, and your work will be for naught.

Step 5: Make a statement about how evil the RIAA is and repeat steps 1 through 3, replacing "Linkin Park" with "Rage Against The Machine."

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I fail at comedy.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
Sam-I-Am wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what's the current views on the legality of AMVs?

The honest truth is that trading AMV's is illegal in the US and most of the developed world. Also, many content creators don't actually own the media they create and thus are not in a position to allow copyright infractions even if they wanted to. Thus, if the actual copyright holder ever became aware of their protected content being used creating and trading AMV's, they would be able to challenge it regardless of what the original creators had to say about it.

I appreciate alternative personal views, but the law is quite clear on subjects like this. Just because it's been allowed so far doesn't mean it's legal and it doesn't mean you'll be able to get away with it forever. There was a time not so long ago when people swore we'd never see consumers taken to court for trading music files. Now we know better. AMV's are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from pirated music tracks.

In US copyright enforcement cases, you can be fined up to $250,000 and receive 5 years in jail PER INFRACTION. Just because this hasn't yet become common place doesn't mean it's not just around the corner. Already the RIAA and MPAA are complaining that their current enforcement policy (targeting out-of-court settlements generally between $1,000 and $10,000) isn't working as hoped. Thus, they may eventually seek maximum damages in more and more cases.

If you disagree with these laws then by all means you are free to petition your elected leaders to change them. Just don't give people any false sense of security in the mean time.

I prefer to live dangerously.

EDIT: I meant to add, you have to realize that pirated music is a HUGE thing, but AMVs are concentrated more into a little niche on the internet. Nothing to do with laws, but honestly, how often do you hear in the news about groups crusading to stop AMVs? It's not a huge thing. Illegal or not, it isn't some epidemic sweeping the internet cheating bands out of their money.

I think I'm just going to deal with it, so let's leave it at that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Space_cowboy64 wrote:
ok im confused i too want to have a go at making a couple of these i made my own film trailers before for my film studies class but how do u get the footage from dvd onto ur windows movie player????

please let me know if u know yea

thanks

Rolling Eyes Do people ever read previous posts when they post a reply?

Darkchibi07 wrote:
I suggest you read this CAREFULLY for getting footage from DVDs:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/videogetb.html

Gee, I don't know, maybe try that link underneath the words "read this CAREFULLY for getting footage from DVDs"? Rolling Eyes

I could tell you a couple things, but the guides will tell you far more. Besides, as I said, this is a little off-topic, and I don't think ANN wants to encourage discussion of software that can be used to break copy protection and rip DVDs.
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Jail sentence is a possibility in the United States only if the following conditions are met:
1. The value of the copyright infringements exceed 1500 dollars within the last 180 days. Then the infringer can be prosecuted under criminal rather than civil law.
2. A public prosecutor thinks it's worthwhile to make a case out of it, and also demand a jail sentence.
3. A judge has to agree it's worthy of a trial.
4. The jury is convinced the offence was bad enough to warrant a jail sentence.
5. The judge pronounces a jail sentence, rather than use his discretionary powers to go for a lesser sentence.

If the public prosecutor doesn't bother prosecuting, then the RIAA and MPAA can still seek damages in a civil court. However, you don't go to jail for civil law offences. Additionally, the RIAA and MPAA possess relatively limited legal resources and just won't bother dragging small time offenders straight to court. The preferred method is a takedown notice, possibly also a demand for cash settlement. Only if the offender refuses to obey will they bother with going to court.

The possibility of harsher punishments is there but reality is that minor offenses rarely get punished to the full extent allowed by the law. The thought that somebody would have to pay huge fines or even go to jail for making AMVs borders on the ludicrous. I could understand if you dragged this up in a discussion about fansubbing but we are just talking AMVs here.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Jail sentence is a possibility in the United States only if the following conditions are met:
1. The value of the copyright infringements exceed 1500 dollars within the last 180 days. Then the infringer can be prosecuted under criminal rather than civil law.

It's true that my original post didn't explicitly differentiate between civil and criminal cases, even though these are distinct from each other. Still, you might be off a bit there. As I read it, criminal penalties are available for any infraction or series of infractions whose retail value (MSRP) exceeds $1,000 (as opposed to "$1,500") during any 180 day period (as opposed to the "last 180 days"). I also understand that the law may be revised to remove the prerequisites of willful intent, financial gain, and commercial advantage.

Gauss wrote:
2. A public prosecutor thinks it's worthwhile to make a case out of it, and also demand a jail sentence.
3. A judge has to agree it's worthy of a trial.
4. The jury is convinced the offence was bad enough to warrant a jail sentence.
5. The judge pronounces a jail sentence, rather than use his discretionary powers to go for a lesser sentence.

If the public prosecutor doesn't bother prosecuting, then the RIAA and MPAA can still seek damages in a civil court. However, you don't go to jail for civil law offences. Additionally, the RIAA and MPAA possess relatively limited legal resources and just won't bother dragging small time offenders straight to court. The preferred method is a takedown notice, possibly also a demand for cash settlement. Only if the offender refuses to obey will they bother with going to court.

First of all your assessment of the RIAA and MPAA's legal resources doesn't appear to reflect reality. Relative to the defendant, the MPAA and RIAA typically have legal resources costing ten or even a hundred times what the average American can afford. If you think that limits their abilities or puts them in a position of weakness, I believe you're wrong.

It's true that it's hard to say how this will be received by each party mentioned as these cases are just now becoming common enough for a new precedent to be set. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that most individuals simply pay-up when confronted by the MPAA or RIAA instead of taking the case to court. However, there has been recent news that these settlements have not yet had as much impact on copyright violations as was apparently hoped and that the MPAA and RIAA may instead choose to refer some cases to the criminal courts and seek ever larger settlements in civil cases.

Gauss wrote:
The possibility of harsher punishments is there but reality is that minor offenses rarely get punished to the full extent allowed by the law. The thought that somebody would have to pay huge fines or even go to jail for making AMVs borders on the ludicrous. I could understand if you dragged this up in a discussion about fansubbing but we are just talking AMVs here.

Many people once said the same thing about individuals being asked to pay-up for illegal song downloads. Now it's common enough that most people have at least heard about it and many even know someone who has been confronted personally. If people want to risk their livelihoods on the good graces of some random prosecutor, then so be it. Just don't give others the false comfort of implying nothing serious is going to happen.

Almost everything that happens on the internet is logged and you're liable for whatever you do up until the statute of limitations runs out. If you want to create AMV's then more power to you, but you're probably better off just trading them among your person friends instead of simply assuming that your online actions are somehow anonymous and thus won't cause any negative repercussions simply because someone would have to lift a finger in order to bring you to justice.

If you agree that the current copyright law is a joke and that the original spirit of the law has slowly been perverted into something entirely different, then instead of just flouting the law we might be better served by actually petitioning our government to change it. Most people don't bother to read the law and even those that do often assume that they'll never be prosecuted or that they can just throw themselves on the mercy of the court and be let off with a relatively minor penalty. My position is that those days are slowly coming to an end. Mandatory fines, minimum jail times and one-strike-you're-out laws are the only foreseeable conclusion of the current trends in the American legal system.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

As I read it, criminal penalties are available for any infraction or series of infractions whose retail value (MSRP) exceeds $1,000 (as opposed to "$1,500") during any 180 day period (as opposed to the "last 180 days"). I also understand that the law may be revised to remove the prerequisites of willful intent, financial gain, and commercial advantage.

Ah, my memory was a bit off. Though I might clarify that those prerequisites have in fact been gone for some time now. The law was changed after a court case in the mid-90's when a guy walked out scot-free because he wasn't doing it for profit.

Quote:
First of all your assessment of the RIAA and MPAA's legal resources doesn't appear to reflect reality. Relative to the defendant, the MPAA and RIAA typically have legal resources costing ten or even a hundred times what the average American can afford. If you think that limits their abilities or puts them in a position of weakness, I believe you're wrong.

No, you misunderstand. As long as relatively few cases get dragged before court, the RIAA and MPAA can afford it. But when we start talking about hundreds of concurrent cases their resources will get severely stretched. One of the major reasons for the settlement system is to avoid a situation like that. They might show a readiness to take more people to court but those will be major offenders or people who refuse to settle. Even if they do manage to resolve a thousand court cases a year we are still looking at the proverbial drop in the ocean of millions of downloaders and sharers in the USA alone.

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that most individuals simply pay-up when confronted by the MPAA or RIAA instead of taking the case to court.

Hardly anecdotal. Up until recently everybody forked up. It's an extremely efficient system that more than pays for itself. Despite that the settlement system is currently capable of handling less than ten thousand offenders a year. One reason for being such a poor deterrent is that people can calculate the low odds of getting caught. That's not going to change just by dragging more people into court.

Quote:
Many people once said the same thing about individuals being asked to pay-up for illegal song downloads.

Well, I was never one of them. Seemed to me a logical route for the copyright holders to take. This is in the end the worst that small-fry like AMV makers are going to face. More likely they are going to get a cease and desist order, usually directly from the artists or distributors.

Quote:
My position is that those days are slowly coming to an end. Mandatory fines, minimum jail times and one-strike-you're-out laws are the only foreseeable conclusion of the current trends in the American legal system.

I think you need to take a step back and look at things in perspective. Speeding is a widespread problem too, but that doesn't mean people think it's a justification for mandatory jail-time. This is fully recognized by law enforcement, courts and lawmakers. Copyright infringement is not a special judicial category where some of the heavy deterrents you outlined are desirable.

The law already provides all the tools for going after offenders, but apart from the odd case finite resources go towards pursuing other crimes. This can change, but it will still only affect a fraction of the total. Purely in terms of practical implementation anything that swamps overworked courts and overcrowded jails is undesirable. Neither would lawmakers be willing to commit political suicide by instituting draconian one-strike laws for spreading any copyrighted material. The millions of offenders are after all among their core constituents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1