• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which is randomer: Bo-bobo or Excel Saga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Excel Saga, but the first disc is next up on my Netflix queue. I'd like to know how its "randomness scale" compares to Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, which has consistently made me think, "I didn't think you could get any randomer than that, but it did!" just with the first episode, which made my head feel annoyed because it felt like it needed to explode, but it couldn't. From what I understand, Bo-bobo and Excel Saga are considered the randomest shows in anime, with Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and FLCL following close-by.

For those of you who have seen both series, which is randomer and which do you prefer?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Bobobo is more random, but Excel Saga is more funny.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'd reccommend Excel Saga over Bobobo. I have the entire series and that has actually made me laugh where Bobobo has just left me scared and confused
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, just turned on CN in time for Bobo, and that's one weird, weird show. Not as funny as Excel, though.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
Excel Saga: Funny with tons of parody on various anime and sci fi. Some crazy and silly moments but at least some method to the madness.

BoBo...: Weird and random. I tried to watch, and I gave up.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (mentioned in the first post): Not even in the same catagory. There is a coherent plot and everything makes sense as the series progresses. A beautiful story with a nice twist.

FLCL (Also mentioned in the 1st post): I also tried to watch, but hung in there once i made sense out of the story.

Dokuro Chan (Beat to Death Angel) is bizarre and twisted. And if any US company is sick enough to bring it here to the US retail shelves..God help us all.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote
I think I should make a list of all the random anime out there and keep it for future use in case the question ever comes up again. Here it is:

10 Most Random/Wierdest/Freakiest anime list. By PantsGoblin.

1.Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo should come first on my list. Although I've only seen one episode it is very hard to make sense of any of it. I have to say Excel Saga is funnier though. I think I laughed once while watching Bo-bobo, most of the time I couldn't tell if they were actually trying to be funny or just trying to create the most random thing ever possible. As things stand now, I'd say it is probably the most random anime I have seen.

2.Although not a comedy from what I've heard, Cat Soup has left most people very confused. I haven't seen it so I can't comment on it but I think it deserves a place at #2 since I've heard by many for it to be the wierdest thing they have ever seen. I'll try to watch it so I can add more.

3. Puni Puni Poemy is absolutely crazy and makes Excel Saga look like it somewhat makes sense. The subtitles, they go so fast...

4. The Super Milk-chan Show although extremely wierd, does not rate that high in humor IMO. It certainly is one of the wierdest things I have seen though.

5. Pani Poni Dash! is a pretty new anime but has definatly made its wierd and crazy impression on me. I love the usage of "chibi" arwork in this anime.

6. Excel Saga used to reign supreme as the most random anime ever. Crazier ones have come along though. Excel Saga is still very random and one of the funniest ones. Still the queen of parodies IMO.

7. Hare+Guu is wierd just because of Guu. She's a character that makes zero sense in a world that somewhat makes sense. She eats people and love afros as well as doing many other unexplained things.

8. Di Gi Charat definatly deserves a mention. I felt my brain melting during most of it. Characters sometimes look like they were drawn by a two year old.

9. Another somewhat new anime that is both wierd and random is Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan. Personally I found this one extremely funny. A cute little angel... who brutally beats people to death.

10. I would have rated Nurse Witch Komugi higher if the first two episodes were a little more random. The third, forth, and fifth episodes though are just about as random (if not more) than anything Excel Saga can throw at you.

Honorable mentions would include Azumanga Daioh, FLCL, Galaxy Angel, Ippatsu Kiki Musume, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Ninja Nonsense, and Oruchuban Ebichu. Also I've heard the anime Pugyuru is very wierd but I haven't seen it and know almost nothing about it so I can't rate it.

I don't know why I did this... I was bored.
afnj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
altough I havn't seen all that much anime and I enjoyed excel saga. People tell me that the more anime (pre-2000) you watch the funnier excel saga is.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I will gladdy put up with with a season marathon of Excel Saga before I watch a single episode of Bo-bobo.

Not really much for these wacky shows.
About the only ones I have seen is DiGi Charot and Galaxy Angel.

I might mension DEAD LEAVES too.

Last edited by Digital Dreamer on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dividedbyzero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a few episodes of Excel Saga, but I've been keeping up with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo on Cartoon Network ever since they've been showing it. Definitely Bobobo seems more random from what I've seen, and Excel seems like it might actually be a better series in the long run... though again, I haven't finished watching it. Bobobo is funny, but it's also beginning to get irritating.

As for Cat Soup, I should be getting that DVD soon so I'll find out about it...

[No coloured text, please. Any further posts sporting it will be deleted on sight. -Nagi]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
2.Although not a comedy from what I've heard, Cat Soup has left most people very confused. I haven't seen it so I can't comment on it but I think it deserves a place at #2 since I've heard by many for it to be the wierdest thing they have ever seen. I'll try to watch it so I can add more.

Yeah... Cat Soup definitely is much, much, much MUCH more weird than Bo-bobo. (Not to mention 10,000 times more worth watching...) I gave it a "Masterpiece" rating in my public anime list and have seen it at least 20 times. It almost makes sense now... Anyway, it's a very entertaining film. Highly recommended.

Anyone familiar with my posting habits will know it's no surprise that I also mention this, but the last half of Mindgame is also many, many times more random than Bo-bobo or Excel Saga or even FLCL could ever hope to be. It has great animation and a worthwhile story, to boot.

More weird titles (in my humble opinion) that have the highest levels of randomness: Eternal Family (a tale about people who are brainwashed to think they're family and secretly taped as a hit TV show), Professor Dan Petory's Blues (a nonsensical explaination of why "UFOs tavel in zig-zags" told by a sock puppet), Digital Juice (a collection of weird short films, including Koji Morimoto's brilliant Aerial Bar--a tale of a girl whose head is a wine glass, possibly the most surreal animation ever created), Trava (it's basically Dead Leaves on speed), and the infamous Tamala 2010, which Zac says "is a unique experience, totally different from anything else available on the market today (aside from, you know, Cat Soup and Yellow Submarine)."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
(stuff)

Seems like all of those are pychological anime. I haven't seen any of them but I'm thinking they're probably more along the lines of the last few episodes of NGE and End of Eva, which are pretty random but have meaning. I wouldn't include it on this list though. When people ask "What's the randomest craziest thing you've seen!?", I think they're probably looking for something along the lines of funny and amusing. I think it's probably best to keep pychological random and funny random separete. Of course, I could be wrong about all of this, many of them are listed as comedies in the encyclopedia. I guess I'll just watch Cat Soup and find out for myself.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
When people ask "What's the randomest craziest thing you've seen!?", I think they're probably looking for something along the lines of funny and amusing. I think it's probably best to keep pychological random and funny random separete. Of course, I could be wrong about all of this, many of them are listed as comedies in the encyclopedia.

Actually, ALL of the titles I linked to are listed as comedies, and you can take my word that they are all funny and amusing as well. Why you wish to negate my suggestions without any familiarity with any of the titles I mentioned boggles me. They belong here just as much as any of the other titles mentioned in this thread do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Why you wish to negate my suggestions without any familiarity with any of the titles I mentioned boggles me. They belong here just as much as any of the other titles mentioned in this thread do.

Oh, I wasn't talking about not belonging in this thread, I meant about not putting them in my own personal list. I guess I should have been more specific. It's just a general list. I just wanted to keep the psychological random and funny random separate though. And with half the titles you mentioned listed as psychological I thought it sounded reasonable. I didn't want to include anything like End of Eva on my list, which isn't a comedy. I was going quote it for future posts that ever asked this question, because I'm lazy.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I think I should make a list of all the random anime out there and keep it for future use in case the question ever comes up again.

See? It doesn't matter now though, you said they're supposed to be comedy, so I'll believe you. I need to get around to watching them now...
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
There is Cromartie High School

Quote:
The only thing for certain is that for Kamiyama, Cromartie High School is his reality. And what a surreal reality it is. Because this is where the toughest, meanest (and often the dumbest) students are sent to do time. At Cromartie, purple haired-mohawked bruisers and pencil-chomping street thugs are just part of every day life.

And so is a 400-pound gorilla. And a macho brute named Freddie who travels with his own theme music. And, of course, Mechazawa, the student voted most likely to need an oil change. So pack your bags, put on your best tough-guy swagger, and get a lesson in insanity from the hilarious losers at Cromartie High.

Over all, I wacked out and funny. Hoever there is some episodes that don't make scene.
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the constant hating on Bo? It's funny. It's not the best show ever, but it doesn't try to be. It just tries to be weird. It is halariously funny in some episodes and in others it's just dumb. There's nothing wrong with it. It accomplishes it's goal of being weird. I don't know how random cross dressing is anymore since they do it EVERY EPISODE!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2