• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Great Teacher Onizuka/GTO looking for oppinions..

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
I have been thinking of getting this show. I was woundering if other people would recomend this, or is it not all that great?

The story dosen't sound half bad, but what is it like over all?

-Thanks to all that post!
Urb'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
I'm watching this at the moment, and It is a superb funny series..

I keep thinking his next line will be "Im Slim Shady, The Real Slim Shady!"

I certainly recommend it. Its got alot of serious issues, and alot of moral stories, but its all sugar coated with slapstick from the main character who has "no limits".. Im have the Dubbed Version, and that is alot more funny than the subtitles.

Get it Smile
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
GTO is above average and one of the funniest anime around, but I personally prefer the manga since it covered more events, had a larger cast and a better ending than the anime's, but the anime is still a must-see and it might encourage you to get the manga after you're done watching it and desperate for more.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
I liked GTO a lot and thought it was one of the better series i've watched. It was very funny and had a good cast of loveable characters. It was always unpredictable, so you never got bored with repetative events.

I think my only problem with it is that it had a rather sudden ending. There wasn't exactly anything to let you know an ending was approaching, and then all of a sudden it just ended. It wasn't a bad[i] ending, just very quick. Otherwise it was a very funny show, but with it emotional moments.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
It is an awesome show. But watch the anime version first, along with the manga. Then watch the live action. The anime version is goodspoiler[, but the manga and the live action, definitely the live action, is the better of the series. ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Sorry to be a bit harsh, but why not go to some site like anidb.info and read some reviews for Great Teacher Onizuka or any show that you happen to be curious about? [And btw, it's opinions, not oppinions.] I mean, posting these threads isn't against the rules, but you can get much faster answers if you find them yourself.

At any rate, I haven't seen very much GTO, but everyone says it's hilarious and worth watching, even if the end is inconclusive.
Luminal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
I agree. GTO is a very funny anime with a great story and very well developed characters. You can't go wrong with this one!

Luminal
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
To cut, paste, mix, and add some old and fresh comments together:

GTO is an absolute masterpiece of comedic drama. The concept of an ex-gang leader wanting to become a school teacher and inheriting THE worst class is intriguing enough. But the best part is seeing how he interacts with all of them, while teaching how to live life.

The comedy itself ranges from cooky to almost zany, but a lot of it stays pretty down to earth. However, it mixes SO well with the drama. A lot of the scenarios and suspenseful situations are referred to as "slice of life," meaning they take a chunk of realism from how some people might experience these things in person.

I found a lot of it to be very well written and greatly enjoyed how all of them were resolved, being in a very "cool, but believable" fashion.

The music is a bit synthesized sounding, but it uses a good combination of rock, jazz, and pop themes to capture the essence of many different emotions. However, many of those pieces do wonders for the show itself. Yusuke Honma did a very good job of using various trumpet, piano, and guitar scores to really bring out a plethora of ambiance.

Much of the enjoyment, though, comes from the voice acting. Wataru Takagi is hilarious, yet incredibly charismatic in his role as the great teacher. His supporting cast is also very well backed by other fine seiyuu such as the pleasant Fumiko Orikasa, the ever talented Tomokazu Seki, and the always spazzy sounding Yuuichi Nagashima.

The dub is horrible, so I suggest you go with the sub version. The dub re-uses too many voices for each of the characters, the voices themselves aren't even good, and they even changed some of the dialogue to make it more raunchy and vulgar for American audiences. If you want a lot of 12 year old potty humor, go with the dub. Otherwise, please do me a favor and at least watch it in Japanese the first time through. I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

Oh, and there's also a live action TV series and special, but I suggest you watch the anime first. Trust me, the transition will be much smoother, and if you end up liking the anime, you'll probably love the live action renditions. There's also a live action movie that takes place after those, but I wouldn't recommend it. Watch everything else before it, and you'll see why. Good luck and have fun!
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think my only problem with it is that it had a rather sudden ending. There wasn't exactly anything to let you know an ending was approaching, and then all of a sudden it just ended. It wasn't a bad[i] ending, just very quick. Otherwise it was a very funny show, but with it emotional moments.

That's why you have to give the manga a try, the anime only covered up to the thirteenth volume of the manga (the manga its self is 25 volumes), after everyone is back from that trip a kickass new character is introduced instead the series of events that occured near the end of the TV series and the ending is better than the anime's.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This is the anime that got me into anime. I loved it and I still do.
Machinma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic series! I love the fact that the voice actor in the dubbed versions is the same guy who voiced "Spike" from Cowboy Bebop. Perfect match!
Ucnslowdnce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I recommend it soley due to the fact that it's a very unique show, from the characters right down to the art style. I wouldn't have minded if this series actually encompassed the entire manga, but there's not much you could do about that. At least it was a faithful to the manga as it was. There's also a sense of realism the anime gives off that many other titles don't. I can't really explain it, but I'm not saying there's no over-the-top scenes. They're still there, but done in such a fashion that it grabs you and you need to watch more.

And about the dub being bad...I watched the series dubbed and most of the time the lines sounded close to what I read in the manga, so...yeah. There is occasional redudancy voice-wise, but it's not all that bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I also would recomend this one. It's very funny - The premise alone is hilariou - A biker gang leader decides to be a teacher to hang out with high school girls! The characters are great too - Onizuka, Mirai, everybody - except the vice principal and his Cresta.

It also has a nice mix of drama too. Onizuka would really go out of his way and do anything for his students. He's like the big brother they never wanted.

The ending is not one of my favorites - it just stops, rather than ends. And the dub is rubbish - stay away from it. But if you're looking for a great funny show with heart, and bad-ass baggy socks school girls, you've found it.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I think a manga about a teacher is a LAAAAAAAAAAAME idea.

By the way, is there any particular reason this is in the anime section? PLEASE dont tell me GTO has an anime as well... >.<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
Assassin_ wrote:
I have to say, I think a manga about a teacher is a LAAAAAAAAAAAME idea.

By the way, is there any particular reason this is in the anime section? PLEASE don't tell me GTO has an anime as well... >.<

Okay, dude? Next tme you feel the need to go trolling in a thread for a series you haven't even seen or read yet...don't. It's not wise, nor is it good for discussion, to go through a thread screaming "I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS AND IT SUCKS!" Especially when it comes to series with as much...renown...as GTO.

And now, I'll simply step back and let the rabid GTO fanbase rip you apart for your blatant display of closed-minded ignorance. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2