• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Avril Lavigne's One Piece Themes Are Nickelback, Joan Jett Covers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcpoor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Why have music artists become so controversial in the anime fandom? I have yet to run into a single Sailor Moon fan who's NOT pretty angry/displeased/disappointed about Momoiro Clover Z performing the new anime's theme song...

Probably a dumb question to ask since I probably can google search it anyway. But for the sake of making good, simple conversation instead, who's Momoiro Clover Z?

the greatest thing produced by Japan in a long time. Very Happy

here, have some Z densetsu

and Pokemon Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Why have music artists become so controversial in the anime fandom? I have yet to run into a single Sailor Moon fan who's NOT pretty angry/displeased/disappointed about Momoiro Clover Z performing the new anime's theme song...

That's more likely people complaining they're not using the orginal singer/song rather than a slam against their talent.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
You know I always wonder does Japan have their equivalent of Lady Gaga, Katey Perry, Nicky Minaj. Does Japan have someone equivalent of Adele

What would you consider an equivalent? Similar music style? singing style? looks? stage presence? attitude? I'm under the impression that Gaga and Katy Perry are heavily influenced / inspired by Japanese pop culture (afair they said as much in interviews).

Lady Gaga is sometimes called the "american Ayumi Hamasaki" (while Ayu has been called "japanese Madonna"). Two shorter tributes, or try watching her "Sparkle" music video.
For Katy Perry, maybe Kaela Kimura? (commercial for her album and single) similar weird hair colors Very Happy

Yeah I can tell that both Katey Perry and Lady Gaga are maybe somewhat could be anime fan, I know Lady Gaga made a special bracelet to dedicate to people in Japan that died during the earthquake/tsunami last year (was really nice of her). I never heard of Kaela Kimura (well reading about her on wikipedia, she's sound interesting), but still thanks for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Yep, Japan produces more s*** than they do good stuff too. Ya guys just don't hear most of it (or maybe just can't tell). Laughing

Stop waving your patriotism there citizen.

yeah, dude, stop being totally objective and logical.

japan totally produces a quantitative amount of audible garbage equal to america's crappy music, but because they're not native to the country, some foreigners will sit around listening to the japanese equivalent to green day and avril lavign, spouting off about how amazing it is, and how well the lyrics fit that particular arc of narutu, despite it being god awful to any japanese person with decent musical acumen.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Why would God allow this to happen? Why? ._.

this is definitely an overreaction, so i can't tell if you're kidding or not......BUT I LAUGHED SO HARD. thank you, sir or madam. xD
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

That's more likely people complaining they're not using the orginal singer/song rather than a slam against their talent.

That's most likely the case, but I can't see how anyone would expect the original singers to return to perform the theme song, when they are long gone.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Oh the humanity!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:43 am Reply with quote
Hey, I guessed right, she is doing covers! And "Bad Reputation" describes the One Piece characters well! Even Oda agrees with me on that one!Cool I don't see how "How You Remind Me" fits with One Piece's characters and themes, though *shruggs*

As for this whole argument about which country produces the worst pop songs that become profitable despite their lack of artistic merit, excuse me for quoting an American cartoon on an anime forum, but I think Dipper from Gravity Falls put it best when he said:

Quote:
...cause dangit, top 40 hits are the top 40 for a reason; they’re catchy!

I had "How You Remind Me" stuck in my head for months when it first came out.

Kutsu wrote:

Pretty much this. Whenever you're in a country with a rather strong local music market production (the US of course but also the UK, Japan, France etc.), you'll have a vocal minority saying that (most of) what is produced is crap and that it's obviously better in other countries with more tasteful people. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. ^^

(Emphasis mine) Yep, the grass is always greener, but are there really British people who don't like British music??? How high can your pop & rock standards be?
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Kinda scared about that Nickelback cover, but the Joan Jett one isn't too bad.

Still it's a weird fit Avril & One Piece. I'm still surprised they haven't chatted with Flogging Molly about doing a song for either the film or series (considering their popularity in Japan and the fact that their music would fit a whole lot better with the OP canon).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
so... legit amv's now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
So, is Avril covering Nickelback's "How You Remind Me?" or are they just going to use the original song?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5