• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies - HELP! Question . . .

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birgritte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I just recently bought and watched the collector's DVD edition of Grave of the Fireflies. I am rather atechnical, so bear with me . . .

My question is this: On apparently both the sub and dub, there is a blue movie camera icon on a white square background positioned on the right-hand corner of the screen.

It's there during the WHOLE LENGTH OF THE MOVIE!!! I've seen this symbol used before in other anime, but it usually disappears after a few minutes. Does this symbol mean anything? (a company/distributor symbol maybe?) But more importantly, is there a way to disable it?

Thanks in advance for any technical help!

Edit: Thank you guys for the advice Smile

Last edited by birgritte on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It's your dvd player, read it's booklet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
That icon is often used by DVD players to indicate that the DVD is multi-angle enabled. A DVD can encode multiple audio streams, subtitle streams and video streams for the same section. It's sort of taken for granted that you can have multiple audio and subtitle streams, but multiple video streams are less common and so some players will show an icon to indicate that you can switch between them. On many players, the icon can be disabled completely, enabled all the time, or enabled only for the first few seconds of a multi-angle section. Multi-angle is used on some anime DVDs for the opening and closing section, so you can watch either the original Japanese version or one with English text.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I get this all the time and the best way to get rid of it is hit the "clear" button on your remote.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
What kind of DVD player leaves an icon up during the whole play time, unless you purposely select something like the time elapsed/remaining? I've seen the multi-angle icon before, but it always goes away a few seconds after the multi-angle flag is detected. I've never seen any player just leave the multi-angle icon up forever.

What brand and model of player do you have?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote
You will notice this icon up during most of the Funimation DVDs OP and ED sequences. My JVC and Sony both have this icon on the display panel that I glance at occasionally. I think my old Pioneer LD/DVD combo would have it appear onscreen, but don't use it too often for DVDs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
You will notice this icon up during most of the Funimation DVDs OP and ED sequences. My JVC and Sony both have this icon on the display panel that I glance at occasionally. I think my old Pioneer LD/DVD combo would have it appear onscreen, but don't use it too often for DVDs.
I get that on mine as well. It's the multi angle icon. But it you select that angle, all you'll get is the production storyboard rough sketches for that scene. A bit redundant really unless you are studying how they drew the scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1