• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouka (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Suckage. That means only 1 eppie left. I think Hyouka has shot to the top of my "want to get R1 license" list.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

Not really a final episode, and episode 22 looks to be on next week.

So we had valentines day, the big thing I think we learned here was that Satoshi spoiler[does like Mayaka, but he does not want to become obsessive over her like he can be with other things.] And really I could tell spoiler[from the bat that it was obvious that Satoshi took it, he was acting damn suspicious, but I did not catch the importance of him saying "One side is too low now".]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts, you may want to work on your addition, because we are indeed getting a twenty-second broadcast episode. This comes as no surprise to me, as sources have said for months that the Anime would be twenty-two episodes long.

The latest episode was a strange one. Chitanda got way too emotional, and even though I knew straight away who the culprit was I still don't understand his thinking. Basically, I understand the reason why he did it, but not the personality that would lead him to that reason in the first place. People in recent Anime sure have bizarre personalities or world-views. Like, the culprit in this episode, or most of the cast from Kokoro Connect. Do real-life people really think that way?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Chitanda acted completely within bounds of what has been established for her character. To think otherwise is totally bizarre, but I guess I should be used to dtm42 opinions that are way off-base by now.

I've never been a big Satoshi fan and this eppie certainly didn't do anything to change my opinion. I am, however, very glad it wasn't the final one. It would have been a shame if the final word in the series was spoiler["bitter."]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
Mayaka homemade chocolate mission.
That girl sure had some serious determination!
It's amazing, she must like Satoshi very much.
Chitanda sure needs to be more clear when she's kinda confessing to Oreki.
Oreki & stolen chocolate case...
It was a shame since Mayaka really made an effort.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
I swear this series is really becoming more a coming-of-age story starring a group of teens with rather complex characterization with the mundane mysteries acting as the driving force. I can't even think of any other high school anime that dealt with these subtle yet very significant issues that can shape one's life. I wish I have a more literary sense so we can discuss how each of the main characters really changed over the series. Though I guess we can wait until the last episode so we can discuss them fully.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I think you summed up the series rather well, darkchibi.
timiman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Boy, the latest episode, although not one of the best, was still in it's own way quite intriguing. And 22 episodes is too short I hope they'd make at least one more afterwards, considering the preview for the next episode. But KyoAni is, after all, releasing their new series in a couple of weeks so I guess it's understandable.
king 47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

The ending was amazing.

spoiler[ There was no preview at the end of the episode, so it seems this is actually the last episode. Argh!!!]
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
After reobtaining internet and discovering I can head to my site to catch up and watch this on my TV, I did so and well... I am so glad I stuck with this series. I really enjoyed the festival arc, though I'd love to rewatch it and dig deeper into everything. and I have to admit, I was surprised with how much I liked what came after it. I f***ing love Oreki's and Eru's relation ship, its like a heavily watered down version of Haruhi and Kyon, but equally as fun to watch. Episode 21 really took me by storm and as for 22, it was great by its own episode standards, but I felt as though I wanted more. I then soon discover the anime only covered 4 volumes of the LN series and theres one more left! OVA series or a Movie, perferably a Movie but come on Hyouka, you can't leave me hanging like this!!

As a whole I really enjoyed this show. spoiler[ In the begining I was ready to peg it as a show with fun characters solving mundane things, but by the end of it I realized there was something more to this than I initally thought. Rewatching this just turned into a MUST for me, especially if this gets liscenced state side. I loved the characters and I took the mundane mystery aspect as a breath of freash air, though now that its all over, I can see now why these mysteries were so small time as they were. It seemed it was merely a vessal to get these great characters together and put them in the situation to bounce off of one another and develop, and by dammit, I'll applaud that.] Not THE greatest show I've seen this year sofar but its definetly on my list.

Now to wait for an announcement. I know you're gonna give one Kyoani. I already have beef with you for taking so damn long for Haruhi season 3 so you better make it snappy! Anime hyper
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
No, these 4 novels are pretty much all of Hyouka. There is a 5th novel (and there will be more), but it doesn't focus at all on Oreki/Chitanda anymore. That said, I quite enjoyed the ending. It showed just how far Oreki has gone from his 'energy conserving' philosophy while still keeping him restrained somewhat in terms of his relationship with Chitanda.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, these 4 novels are pretty much all of Hyouka. There is a 5th novel (and there will be more), but it doesn't focus at all on Oreki/Chitanda anymore. That said, I quite enjoyed the ending. It showed just how far Oreki has gone from his 'energy conserving' philosophy while still keeping him restrained somewhat in terms of his relationship with Chitanda.

okay I have not watched a single episode of this series at all, will i find the ending disappointing?? Use spoilers if you need to because /a/ is sh** to rely on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 (final episode)

This has been a nice series, it has problems, and that is it can kind of be boring with such small scale mysteries. But the level of the mysteries is actually what has set this series apart from other series, mysteries that so firmly bound to what could happen in real life. Perhaps some of it right into some of the last things Chitanda said, that she was bound to the town, some have the sky's the limit, but this series tried to make a statement of not being upset over it's limited.... maybe potential. Certain small things can be a big deal to certain people.

I would say the series is a good show for mystery fans, but they have to have patience, my personal opinion the best bits were the festival, and some of the payoff with the movie. I like the pairing of Chitanda and Houtarou, spoiler[would have liked an official confession, I feel trolled after the one at the end being his imagination.]

@ Cecilthedarkknight_234
I don't think necessarily disappointing, just be aware that this series does not have huge murders and stuff that you see in other mystery anime. I think you should be fine as long as you don't go in expecting those. It can be sweet regardless.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to learn more about Oreki's sister, but alas it was not to be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Easily one of my favourite shows of 2012 and the one I most lust for with respect to getting an R1 license. I admit this is mostly because I absolutely adored Chitanda as a character, but also because of the animation. I loved the effort that was put into animating character expressions (except for Hotaro's, of course - he basically had only one expression) and all the small touches that were made to bring movement to life. A lot of the visual flourishes associated with showing us internal thought processes (almost always Hotaro's) were well-done as well.

I, too, felt a pang when it was obvious that spoiler[Chitanda had not heard Hotaro's offer, but it was indicative enough of his feelings for her that I can imagine them together in the future.]

The whole experience simply deepened my already huge respect for KyoAni's work.

Last edited by Blood- on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11