• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animax versus Original

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
The main channel for anime here in India is animax. The problem with animax is that they totally kill the englis dubbing. What i mean to say is that the original english dubbing is totally different from the animax dubbing. An example would be Rurouni Kenshin where the purgatory(the battleship which Shishio buys) is called the rengoku. Kaoru is called Corey and Yahiko is called Yoshi. This i suppose is true for Get Backers as well. So what i want to know is what is the name of the moves of Ban Midou.
The move which he attacks the opponent using his 200 kg grip power. Its called the snake bit in Animax.

The second move is where he summons the snake constellation. In Animax its called the poison fang.

The third move is when he puts his opponent in a dream for 1 minute. Its called the evil eye in Animax.

And i just want to point out the changes in Animax dubbing.
Shido is called Cedo and The Limitless Fortress is called Maze City.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The english dubbing of Samurai X (TV) is not that bad at all. It's quite enjoyable IMO.

The only thing that I don't like about the eng. dub for Samurai X is Misao's voice (it makes her look way older).

Her japanese voice is waay waay better Smile

But going back, it was better for Animax to continue airing Get Backers in original Japanese w/subtitles. The in-house dubbing for it really sucks and because of that, I avoided watching it on Animax.

Oh well, at least GITS: SAC 2nd Gig and Samurai 7 are still shown on Animax (and with subs too Smile )
liquidsolid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:
The english dubbing of Samurai X (TV) is not that bad at all. It's quite enjoyable IMO.

The only thing that I don't like about the eng. dub for Samurai X is Misao's voice (it makes her look way older).

But going back, it was better for Animax to continue airing Get Backers in original Japanese w/subtitles. The in-house dubbing for it really sucks and because of that, I avoided watching it on Animax.

I dunno if the staff for animax asia is different from the staff for other countries. Though thats highly possible i doubt it. But yes Misao sounds like a tomboy.

As for Get Backers i actually like the voices. Its the words they use which somewhat changes the story.

Somethin else in Samurai X. The Kusuryusen is called the nine headed dragon flash/light.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
liquidsolid wrote:
I dunno if the staff for animax asia is different from the staff for other countries. Though thats highly possible i doubt it.

Of course they are different. For example, Animax Taiwan doesn't dub anime except those targeted to young children.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:17 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
liquidsolid wrote:
I dunno if the staff for animax asia is different from the staff for other countries. Though thats highly possible i doubt it.

Of course they are different. For example, Animax Taiwan doesn't dub anime except those targeted to young children.

Well actually,

I thought Animax dubs ALL their programs too for Taiwan and Hong Kong with Mandarin and Cantonese dubbing, respectively.

Then if you want subtitles, you can just change it with a press of a button on the remote (which comes with the Digital Set-top box).

Am I right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1