• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion on Adultswim: Problems with Closed Captioning

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
DOes anyone else notice that there is a serious incongruency between the closed caption of Eva and the actual Dialouge Dubb. Any explanations for it??
And if you don't notice it turn on your closed caption when it comes on Saturday and see what i mean
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I have never watched it with closed captioning, but I have a hunch that it might be sub vs. dub differences; that is, the captioning might be the actual literal translation as would be seen in the subtitles as opposed to the dubbed dialogue which is frequently changed to fit lip flap and such.

If that is the case, I applaud [as] for doing so. If not, I have no idea what the incongruence between the captioning and the dialogue would be except incompetence.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
That may be it because i saw it last night (thursday) and the CC was either 8 or nine words longer than what they were actually sayin or seriously simplified down to "Launch!" when Ikari says "Initiate the launch Sequence !" (verbatim it was even more drastic than that). I don't really see it as a problem but if your gona give me Platinum Edition Dialogue at least serve it up with the actually Platinum Edition DVD (that shyte is beautiful)...
Efan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I realized this a while ago with DragonBall Z. It didn't start happening untill the Buu Saga, but Vageta in the dub would say something like "I'm going to destroy you!" But in the captioning it would say "DIE!". This confused me thoughouly but i figured out later that it's beacue the subtitles are literal translations and the dub is changed alot. For instace they're not alowed to say "die" or "kill" they have to say "Im going to "Destry" you." or "He's gone to the other world".
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, video (From what I understand, CC is encoded in to) must have came from a different source, that or they used the subtitles from the DVDs to use as the CC. That's something to check in to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1