• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
can someone tell me why?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Why is it the end of every anime has the same basic ending?

Like, he/she finaly says i love you, or the good guy wins and gets the girl. Are there any animes were the ending is completly unpredicable?

I wana see a anime were the bad guy wins and the world is destoryed. Another one would be were the he/she never gets the dream preson, they dont fall in love, and/or someone becomes completly depresed for the rest of their life, or comits suicide. WHY is every ending a happy one. The only show that i havev seen that can come close to this is Cowboy Bebop spoiler[ Were Spike dies at the end aginst Visious].

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that? Why dose the good guy always win or fall in love all that good happy feeling stuf? I mean what is the point in even watching it if we know this WILL happen at the end?
Pleroma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
I take it you have not watched much anime at all, since I would say its undouibtle one of the mediums with the highest "hero dies/ world ends" ending percentile. Seriously go out and watch some more, because its one of anime's major virtues how often stuff ends very very BAD.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that? Why dose the good guy always win or fall in love all that good happy feeling stuf? I mean what is the point in even watching it if we know this WILL happen at the end?

The good guy doesn't *always* win, but he probably will most of the time, just like he will in most live action movies and tv shows. What people like is what sells, and people generally like that sort of thing. As far as falling in love and getting the girl, that's where our opinions differ. It is indeed common for two characters to "fall in love," but, at least in anime, it is most common for the two to dance around the subject, never quite admitting the feelings they have, or to admit then yet not really consumate any sort of actual relationship. Anime generally tends to have a rather open ending. One in which such things are not resolved. Often the "good" guy will win some fights against some enemies (or perhaps his/her 'archenemy') without any real resolution occuring by the end of the series. The hero/heroine simply continues the fight past where we last see them.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

Like, he/she finaly says i love you, or the good guy wins and gets the girl. Are there any animes were the ending is completly unpredicable?

I wana see a anime were the bad guy wins and the world is destoryed. Another one would be were the he/she never gets the dream preson, they don't fall in love, and/or someone becomes completly depresed for the rest of their life, or comits suicide. WHY is every ending a happy one. The only show that i havev seen that can come close to this is Cowboy Bebop spoiler[ Were Spike dies at the end aginst Visious].

No offense but I would like to know not only how much but what anime have you been watching? I can't really recall a storybook ending to any anime. The only 3 I can think of are G Gundam, Gundam X, and Nadesico (but Prince Of Darkness kinda changes all of that). If anything, I'm tired of the world having a reset button in anime. That really annoys me because I think it's just lazy. It tells me as a viewer "we couldn't come up with an ending, so we just started everything over so that this show can live on in fanfiction and doujinshi." I feel cheated when I see that (only exception being Big O). I've never really been able to guess an anime's ending (but at the same time usually I don't try, I find it more enjoyable that way). There are plenty of tragic anime out there and anime that end happily in terms of the storybook ending are far and few between. So if you're looking for something with what you consider a different ending then just pick a title out of a hat and chances are you'll find what you're looking for.
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Ok, i have watched close to 50 or 60 Different (not in the same title such as Inital D 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th Stage). Out of all of those the ending seems to always be the same. If you wana see some of the titles i have seen look on my list I have made it public. Also, i think out of all of those shows Lain is probly the only one (that i can rember) that dosent have that kind of ending.

-personal note: I dont realy predict the endings either I just watch them but, as it so happens i have seen a trend in the endings of these shows. Prehaps now that the amount of shows i have been watching has become bigger i will start seeing these episodes, the only thing is i am very limited on the show i can get due to the area i get them in. I dont buy items online.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Really. In the last 20+ years of anime, I have not noticed this at all. In fact, I watch anime just so i can have some thing different.

2Real wrote:
Are there any animes were the ending is completly unpredicable?

There is lots of them. Try starting off with EVA.
2Real wrote:
I wana see a anime were the bad guy wins and the world is destoryed.

MD Giest - spoiler[Giest releases the Death Force (an army of Killer Robots) on the Earth.]

MD Giest 2 - spoiler[Giest screws over humanity last refuge / savior from the Death Force]

GenoCyber - spoiler[Earth gets turned into a waste land.] The rest is hard to explain.

End Of Evengelion - spoiler[NERV fails to stop the Angles and the Third Impact. Earth gets wasted. Shinja and Asuka are the only servivors to re-populate the planet earth. How much lower can Humanity go?]

Gundam 0083 - StarDust Memory - spoiler[Operation Stardust was a success. The Zions were successful.]

Gundam 0080 - War In The Pocket - spoiler[For once, this gundam anime had the Zions has the "heroes'. In the end, the Zion Pilot desides to stay and complete his mission in order to stop a Nuclear attack on a mostly cizivilain collony. However he dies while completing his objective. And in the end, it turned ot that 24 hours before the the Federation managed to capture a Zion Ship with a nuclear payload.]

Urotsukidoji - Legend Of The Overfiend - "Once every 3,000 years, a supreme being known as the "Choujin" will emerge and bring balance to all three realms on Earth". spoiler[They just overlooked the minor detail of life on Earth getting destroyied in the process.]

KITE - spoiler[A teenaged killer gets killed my a minor with a gun]
And the list goes on....

Last edited by Digital Dreamer on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:19 am; edited 2 times in total
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
it has been a while since I watched Akira and Ninja Scroll, prehaps i should rewatch them. As for the others, i haven't seen any of the others. Prehaps i will look into a few of those.

In the end of every show though the world is always saved. I wana see one were the last episode the world is destoried and humanity as we kno it ends.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
Another title you may want to check out is Devilman. In that series spoiler[Akira's (aka Devilman's) girlfriend gets killed (specifically her head on a pike). His best friend turns out to be Satan. He battles Satan and loses, which causes the end of the world I believe.] While I have not seen it an OVA called Violence Jack is supposedly a sequel and that post-apocalyptic future is well...just plain disturbing.
2Real

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
Dont tell me about Air please, I'm curently in the process of getting that one. I also would like to see Jin-Roh.

So aprently I'm just viewing very few animes either that or im looking at them differently then others do. Either way i still enjoy them and probly won't stop watching them anytime soon.

Thank you all for your input on this thread. It has made me rethink as to how I am watching these shows.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Let's see. . .to the OP, I don't recommend reading these spoilers, but I want to justify why these endings are tragic/disastrous.

First, I've heard that Berserk doesn't end well, but I haven't seen it to be able to comment.

Serial Experiments Lain spoiler[Lain overcomes her "God" that was manipulating her life, but winds up being trapped in the Wired (or something, idk) and remains in 13 year-old form forever, forgotten by everyone, including her best friend.]

Texhnolyze spoiler[This is about as close as you can get to an "end of the world" anime as possible... everybody who's anybody dies, the upper world is revealed as a hollow shell, the underground Hell-type city erupts into massive violence and chaos, the city's power source runs out and makes Texhnolyzed artificial limbs immovable.]

End of Evangelion spoiler[It's open to interpretation, but the world pretty much ends in this one too.]

Koi Kaze spoiler[Well, OK, this one does end with "I love yous" and even sex, but since the two are brother and sister, well, it will be disturbing on average.]

Noir spoiler[The two protagonists, Mireille and Kirika, are perhaps shot as two gunshots go off over a blank screen as episode 26 ends. Very much up in the air.]

Kare Kano -- OK, this ending has issues, and the manga continues far beyond the anime ending, but we see that spoiler[Yukino and Arima are drifting apart, so it's not a "main couple walks hand in hand into the distance" ending.]

Mahoromatic (Season 2) spoiler[Despite Mahoro's best intentions, and all her heartfelt promises not to leave Suguru alone (after having killed his father while shooting at an alien robot years before the series begins), she blows herself up to save Suguru from an android named Feldlance. And this is only episode 13 . . .episode 14 skips 20 years into the future, where we see a boozing, broken-down Suguru on a different planet, separated from his friends, on an endless quest of revenge against robotkind. A sort of reunion occurs at the very end, but again, it's open to interpretation as to how much is really real.]

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien -- not necessarily tragic; opinions will vary depending on how much the viewer spoiler[wants Takayuki to end up with Haruka vs. Mitsuki.]

SaiKano spoiler[Oh look, it's another one with the world ending, thanks to a massive war that the protagonist's girlfriend takes part in. Sure, they seem alive and in love at the end, but they are alone, and it's pretty much game over for everything. ]

I hear that A Little Snow Fairy Sugar has something sad at the end, though that may only be sad by comparison to the rest of the series.

Chances are, one of the most depressing endings you'll come across (and I think there's agreement on this) is Chrno Crusade; let's see here. . .spoiler[The two main protagonists, Rosette and Chrno, disappear from the Magdalene Order and die in episode 24. Satella dies fighting her long-lost sister in episode 22. Rosette's missing brother Joshua is rescued, but has his mind frozen in a 12 year-old state. Minister Remington loses his faith, leaves the Order, and becomes something like a bum. . .Aion, the devil character, is NOT vanquished, and is very much healthy and active as the series closes. Oh yes, and on the world stage, the show ends with mention of the 1929 stock market crash that led to the Great Depression and World War 2.]

Edited to add a "depressing" global event that is mentioned by Sister Kate in the last episode of Chrno Crusade, as if things weren't sad enough
So you see, the endings you desire are out there--just keep broadening those horizons. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mahoromatic (Season 2) spoiler[Despite Mahoro's best intentions, and all her heartfelt promises not to leave Suguru alone (after having killed his father while shooting at an alien robot years before the series begins), she blows herself up to save Suguru from an android named Feldlance. And this is only episode 13 . . .episode 14 skips 20 years into the future, where we see a boozing, broken-down Suguru on a different planet, separated from his friends, on an endless quest of revenge against robotkind. A sort of reunion occurs at the very end, but again, it's open to interpretation as to how much is really real.]

Wow. That really, really sucks. I also remember Wind, A Breath of Heart the TV series having a bad ending. Though the DVDs had added episodes, so I don't know if that changed things.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:37 am Reply with quote
I always considered one of the greatest strengths of anime to be the fact that the endings often aren't perfect or happy, although one of the weaknesses is similar in that a lot of titles tend to leave loose ends.

Even if the good side wins, I mean that's part of the point is to cheer for the good guys after all, often times the ending isn't necessarily a completely good one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
menshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Watch Gantz and Berserk if you want a very not so story book ending. *Picked 2 most shocking/ones that twist at the end that i've seen out of everything*
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
All things considered, I though Lain had a happy ending...
Two series that instantly sprang to mind were Grave of the Fireflies and X (tv). The ending of the latter was something that I truly had no idea which way it would turn out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1