• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BGC 2040

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgc2040

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:11 am Reply with quote
Could anyone PLEASE help me! I'm a huge fan of the bubblegum crisis Tokyo 2040 series and heard something about a new series, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 coming out. I have looke dat the ADV site and that has no news on it, and your encylopedia here is quite vague. I was wondering if any of you guys have heard anything about it, and whether it passed the production stages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:25 am Reply with quote
Much like the Live-Action Eva movie.............come back in about 10 years, we'll give ya a definitive answer.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:20 am Reply with quote
The last thing that was heard about it was that they were trying to get the original BGC2040 production staff together to make the series, but its been some time since that has been said and now, so I'm assuming it's an idea that died off in pre-production, much like Berserk 2. This culd be because they couldn't find the people, or there was a re-assessed lack of interest, or because ADV ran across financial hurdles.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
It's in pre-production limbo unfortunately. I'd love to see it, or any new incarnation from the Bubblegum Crisis universe personally, however, It looks pretty doubtful that it will happen. Crying or Very sad
Boomer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It's in pre-production limbo unfortunately. I'd love to see it, or any new incarnation from the Bubblegum Crisis universe personally, however, It looks pretty doubtful that it will happen. Crying or Very sad

If anyone is interested in a new incarnation of the Bubblegum Crisis universe, he or she should watch Parasite Dolls. That OVA has a new set of characters and has more in common with the orginal Bubblegum Crisis, especially its AD Police Files prequel, rather than the craptacular Tokyo 2040 TV series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

If anyone is interested in a new incarnation of the Bubblegum Crisis universe, he or she should watch Parasite Dolls. That OVA has a new set of characters and has more in common with the orginal Bubblegum Crisis, especially its AD Police Files prequel, rather than the craptacular Tokyo 2040 TV series.

I've seen everything there is to see in the universe and own them all. I liked 2040 the best because it had better character development, a longer and continuing story, and better character designs. There hasn't been a BGC series made I didn't like though.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
bgc2040 wrote:
and heard something about a new series, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2041 coming out.
about the only thing remotely connected with BGC to come out since BGC2040 has been Parasite Dolls. And I have mixed feeling about that OVA.

Plotwise, I am not sure how they are going to excute BGC2041.
spoiler[MegaTokyo is a mess that rivals the Great Tokyo Quake
Genom just suffered a major blow with both the loss of Quincy Rosenkreutz and Brian J Mason.

Boomers now pose a greater threat than what they did before. Considering that it was boomer technology that F.U.B.A.R.ed MegaTokyo, I don't see the now refugeed citizens of Mega Tokyo putting more orders for boomers any time soon.

Sylia Stingray can no longer pilot a hardsuit.

And after what the other girls went though, I don't think they are going to be wanting a pilot a hard suit any time too either.]

Over all, the only way that I see them doing another BGC series is if :-
* They do another series centred around AD Police. And with that they are extremely flexible as you only have 2 character that have been established. Otherwise you can create a hole new case (like what they did with AD POLICE FILES TV SERIES)
However I do see that there is a lot of fan that prefer to have nothing to do with AD Police.

* They to a prelogue to BGC2040. However that would mean that you have no Linna Yamazaki.

* They do (yet) another time line. Like we all ready have enough of them all ready with BGC / AD Police Franchise. (Personally I am getting a little bit sick of this trend with BGC and ADP)

* They do an OVA series or a set of specials that is set at some point in time during the BGC 2040 before the shit hits the fan during the last 1/3 of that series.
Personally I feel that is they only way that they can exicute another BGC Series that is linked in the 2040 time line.
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The new character designs are precisely what I didn't like about Tokyo 2040 because I kept comparing them to the originals. Also, the atmosphere in 2040 was lighter and brighter, Daley Wong was straight, and Leon just looked weird.

I agree that the original OVA ended rather abruptly. That is my only problem both with it and the original AD Police Files: they left me wanting more. By the way, I am surprised nobody ever talks about Bubblegum Crash, the intended sequel to Crisis. I have yet to see it and have heard some of the same complaints from hardcore Crisis fans that detractors of Tokyo 2040 often mention. But I'm curious to watch it nonetheless for no other reason than the original's character designs are retained more or less intact, something that cannot be said about 2040.

I too have mixed feelings about Parasite Dolls, which didn't really hit its stride until the 3rd episide IMO. Apart from the excellent ending, I thought the first two episodes were weak and okay, respecitvely. Buzz Nikvest didn't hold my interest as a lead character, and Myers was wasted.

I think another spinoff series should be made, centered around one of the minor characters from the original such as Daley or Jeena Malso from AD Police Files and set during the events of Tokyo 2040.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I agree that the original OVA ended rather abruptly. That is my only problem both with it and the original AD Police Files: they left me wanting more. By the way, I am surprised nobody ever talks about Bubblegum Crash, the intended sequel to Crisis. I have yet to see it and have heard some of the same complaints from hardcore Crisis fans that detractors of Tokyo 2040 often mention. But I'm curious to watch it nonetheless for no other reason than the original's character designs are retained more or less intact, something that cannot be said about 2040.

Crash is interesting to watch, it fills in some of what was meant to be covered in the original series (remember, production of BGC was cancelled prematurely). We find out a bit more about who Sylia is, the secrets behind Genom and etc. But in the end, it doesn't really answer everything, and its production values just aren't up to par with the original series. The animation is slightely more advanced, but everything else, all the way down to script, is inferior.

The reason many people like 2040 compared to 2038, is that 2040 has a complete story and better character development. But I have to agree with you about the character designs and the atmosphere. Out of the two I prefer 2038 for its "rawness." But you can't ignore that everything thatw as wrong with 2038 was fixed with 2040 (pity they also "fixed" a few things that weren't broken).

-t
Boomer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
We find out a bit more about who Sylia is, the secrets behind Genom and etc.

I always thought Genom was absent from Crash, and no explanation is given for its disappearance.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
Daley Wong was straight,
Not sure about that. It was hinted that he was gay.

Like remember that episode about that underwater boomer, Daley was more that happy to take photos of the crime scene. Which also include taking photo's of a naked guy the wife in that episode was having afair with.

Boomer wrote:
and Leon just looked weird.
I liked his attitude, but i did not how they made him look about 10 years older than the orginal series. L

Boomer wrote:
I agree that the original OVA ended rather abruptly.
It was suppose to have another 4 more episodes. Scripts where written, some consept art work was done. But that was about it. Now if these episodes where simulare events as Bubble Gum Crash or some thing completely different, no one except for the orginal creators knows that information.

Boomer wrote:
That is my only problem both with it and the original AD Police Files: they left me wanting more.
OH yeah!!!
Boomer wrote:
By the way, I am surprised nobody ever talks about Bubblegum Crash, the intended sequel to Crisis.

Because it sucked.
I remember one of the reason was that they could not get the same voice actor as Priss. And with that, Priss's singing style was totally different.

The plot of the 3 episodes where not that crash hot. They were completely lacking orginally.

And there was some thing with Boomers that they changed. I can not remember that it was, just it really screwed a lot of things up.

For some strange reason, my BGC Collection is still missing Bubble Gum Crash and the orginal AD Police (3 Part OVA)

Boomer wrote:
I have yet to see it and have heard some of the same complaints from hardcore Crisis fans that detractors of Tokyo 2040 often mention. But I'm curious to watch it nonetheless for no other reason than the original's character designs are retained more or less intact, something that cannot be said about 2040.

The mecha designs where much better in the orginal.
Like look at the hardsuits alone between the 2 series. The orginal designs where better.
And i can not even started with some of the other mechs like K-11, Dobermans, BattleMovers.

Boomer wrote:
I think another spinoff series should be made, centered around one of the minor characters from the original such as Daley or Jeena Malso from AD Police Files and set during the events of Tokyo 2040.
About the only other thing that is out there currently is (Put on Flame Resistant Coat) Bubble Gum Crisis : GRAND MAL. In an American Manga It's set one year before the original series. Not a bad read. It does reveal some more things about Sylia.

tempest wrote:
The animation is slightely more advanced, but everything else, all the way down to script, is inferior.
The animation was very repetitive. Especially when every one is getting geared up.

tempest wrote:
The reason many people like 2040 compared to 2038, is that 2040 has a complete story and better character development. But I have to agree with you about the character designs and the atmosphere. Out of the two I prefer 2038 for its "rawness." But you can't ignore that everything thatw as wrong with 2038 was fixed with 2040 (pity they also "fixed" a few things that weren't broken).

I can still find the time to watch BGC 2040 too. About the only thing that i did not like about BGC 2040 was the total mind screw that was at the end. However that was a craze with anime at the point in time after the success of EVA.

It would of been interesting if they rehashed some of the orginal episodes. Like i would of loved to see the Revenge Road with the 2040 characters. [/spoiler]
Boomer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Digital Dreamer wrote:
About the only other thing that is out there currently is (Put on Flame Resistant Coat) Bubble Gum Crisis : GRAND MAL. In an American Manga It's set one year before the original series. Not a bad read. It does reveal some more things about Sylia.

I've read the Grand Mal "manga" and enjoyed it overall. It is not nearly as bad a read as some of its critics claim. What I hated about it was the change to Priss' character. Adam Warren turned her into an immature, raging psychotic rather than the short-tempered woman with a heart of gold that she was in the original series. And what was up with her new leather-clad, death metal singing persona?

I also found Grand Mal to be a bit more campy and self-aware than the series, which I personally didn't mind but can see why some other fans would.

Nevertheless, it was nice to see many of my favourite characters in print form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1