• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
So where does your assessment of "he's still pretty good" come from?

He doesn't actively annoy me, doesn't actively do stupid shit, and his actions are consistent with the character he has been shown to have (as opposed to what he has actually stated)

You are setting the bar so low here, it's like subterranean.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

How about some kind of backstory to Kirito which explains why he's a loner? How about some scenes where he is having flashbacks about his 'little sister' and remembering times where he saved her from a bully or something, or where they worked together on a game, or something showing their strong connection. How about showing him struggling under some kind of harsh circumstances in the real world before he joined SAO, to build the audience sympathy for him? How about giving him some more consistent personality traits/quirks? (For example, Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail or Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece) This kind of stuff would help a little...

>show
>not over

How is this concept difficult?

Do you plan to repeat your irritating performance from the last Stream thread where you obsessively counter every critical SAO post with boring, tedious, repetitive, banal, but at least mercifully short burblings?

>show
> 8 episodes shown, enough to start making judgments

Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

You are setting the bar so low here, it's like subterranean.

Yep. Holding male anime leads to high standards is a sure-fire way to be disappointed.

Also, the problem with these last 5~6 episodes is that they were written originally with the idea that you've already read volume 1 and know Kirito fairly well, so they don't go out of their way to try to develop him.

Now, you can certainly discuss how these episodes were adapted in a sub-optimal manner, and I wouldn't even disagree with you most likely, but I'm not going to write off Kirito because the part where we actually learn about him has only just started (and isn't covered in this review anyway.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
One thing I wonder is where the hell Klein is. He's one of the first people Kirito meets in SAO, you'd THINK he'd be like Kirito's friend and show up a lot.

*facepalm* I knew I had forgotten someone.
Such a "touching" reunion those two had after being separated for only a few months. >__>

eurotrip1986 wrote:
This anime fails compared to it's hype....I'm sure girls love this anime, because that's where it looks like the ideal target is aimed at. Majority of guys will be turned off by this, and so it's average.

The only thing "aimed at female viewers" in SAO is the merchandise; even then, there's still plenty for male viewers. Otherwise, anyone can watch the series for the romance, action, and Science-Fiction elements.

I actually want to see more of how living in a VRMMORPG is taking a toll on the players mentality. Two years spending your life in a fictional world is bound to cause some sort of stress or mental breakdown or even some form of illusion.

spoiler[As of Ep. 8, majority of the players aren't even trying to escape or fight. Maybe they never want to experience real-life again. (O_o)]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

>show

When 6 of those 8 episodes were adapted from sidestories written after the main arc, and assume existing knowledge of Kirito, then yes, I'd say that in this situation, its too early to make judgements.

This is a fairly unusual situation, which is why you can't just apply blanket statements to every show, you have to consider context, especially for adaptions.

As I said above, I'm perfectly willing to accept that the side-stories were adapted sub-optimally.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Episode 3 did not explain why Kirito is a loner. He was portrayed to be a loner before he even went into the full game. Remember when he first met up with Klein? He was hesitant to hang out with him, even though he did stick around long enough to teach him a few tricks. Eventually, at the end of Ep 1 he goes right back to being a loner and goes off on his own.

Did you miss the part in Ep 1 where he did want Klein to come with him, but he was afraid that he couldn't protect more than 1 person through the trip to the area he wanted to go to? Sure, he was a little hesitant when a complete stranger walked up, but he didn't just ditch Klein. Klein just as much ditched Kirito to look for his RL friends.

He didn't seem to be that familiar with anyone in ep 2, but he did go off to a secret leveling spot so that isn't abnormal. He clearly supported the idea of working with that large group to beat the first boss. He clearly liked spending time with that guild. He clearly likes spending time with Asuna. Why is he a loner? He obviously didn't really ever feel that way, he just doesn't want to see people around him die.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Dropped this at episode 5. I knew I wouldn't like it to begin with, but Kajiura's score is really restrained. Key made several mentions to .hack//SIGN and to me the music of that show was so beautiful and just set the atmosphere so well. Whereas in SAO it seems like the director doesn't want to emphasize the atmosphere/music at all. Why bother to have Kajiura doing the music if you're just going to restrain her?

Oh well, if there's one thing I'll say about SAO, it's that these meme videos (warning: very high volume) are hilarious. Far more entertaining than the show to me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Dropped this at episode 5. I knew I wouldn't like it to begin with, but Kajiura's score is really restrained.

It got a lot better in episode 8. Both the show and the score.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd say Kirito is a 'pretty good' protagonist because he is relateable, at least to me. He's not some overpowered god-like being,

As much as I like this show...I'm going to have to disagree with this. Kirito basically bodies everything he comes across.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I'd say Kirito is a 'pretty good' protagonist because he is relateable, at least to me. He's not some overpowered god-like being,

As much as I like this show...I'm going to have to disagree with this. Kirito basically bodies everything he comes across.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the scene with the player killers. Pretty god-like there.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

>show

When 6 of those 8 episodes were adapted from sidestories written after the main arc, and assume existing knowledge of Kirito, then yes, I'd say that in this situation, its too early to make judgements.

This is a fairly unusual situation, which is why you can't just apply blanket statements to every show, you have to consider context, especially for adaptions.

As I said above, I'm perfectly willing to accept that the side-stories were adapted sub-optimally.

You are once again forcing people to view things only from your perspective. Yes, the series isn't over, but this review is about episodes 1-7, and people are perfectly justified in making judgements on episodes 1-7 and discussing episodes 1-7 in a thread about episodes 1-7. This isn't difficult at all.

Plus, just because your standards for a male lead are low doesn't mean people with higher standards are wrong. You need to stop forcing your perspective and your viewpoints on everybody. You don't get to tell people what they can and can't discuss or when they can and can't judge a series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Episode 3 did not explain why Kirito is a loner. He was portrayed to be a loner before he even went into the full game. Remember when he first met up with Klein? He was hesitant to hang out with him, even though he did stick around long enough to teach him a few tricks. Eventually, at the end of Ep 1 he goes right back to being a loner and goes off on his own.

Did you miss the part in Ep 1 where he did want Klein to come with him, but he was afraid that he couldn't protect more than 1 person through the trip to the area he wanted to go to? Sure, he was a little hesitant when a complete stranger walked up, but he didn't just ditch Klein. Klein just as much ditched Kirito to look for his RL friends.

He didn't seem to be that familiar with anyone in ep 2, but he did go off to a secret leveling spot so that isn't abnormal. He clearly supported the idea of working with that large group to beat the first boss. He clearly liked spending time with that guild. He clearly likes spending time with Asuna. Why is he a loner? He obviously didn't really ever feel that way, he just doesn't want to see people around him die.

First, I don't see how what you are saying here doesn't make him a loner. Saying he couldn't "protect more than 1 person" indicates he's a loner. He is someone who believes that he works best by himself, and at most, can keep one other person alive. That is the way a loner thinks. A person who is not a loner would think there would be safety in numbers, or would want to work with other people to improve everyone's chances at survival.

Klein did not ditch Kirito, he wanted Kirito to come join with him and his friends, but Kirito wanted to press on alone. That is what a loner does.

In ep 2, yes he was shown to be leveling on his own, like a loner would do... He wasn't leveling with a group or a party or anything, and when he eventually joined up with the group fighting the boss, when he was talking with Asuna it almost seemed like being in a party was something new to him. I got the impression that he joined that boss fight more out of pure utilitarian calculations. He figured he had the best chance to survive by fighting this boss with the group. After the fight was over, he immediately went back to being a loner and also completely ditched Asuna.

Seems like all the types of things a loner would do to me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

You are once again forcing people to view things only from your perspective. Yes, the series isn't over, but this review is about episodes 1-7, and people are perfectly justified in making judgements on episodes 1-7 and discussing episodes 1-7 in a thread about episodes 1-7. This isn't difficult at all.

Plus, just because your standards for a male lead are low doesn't mean people with higher standards are wrong. You need to stop forcing your perspective and your viewpoints on everybody. You don't get to tell people what they can and can't discuss or when they can and can't judge a series.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, jeez.

By your logic, you are forcing me to accept your position.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609, just because a show is only a third of the way through does not mean that we cannot expect it to have actually done something with the characters thus far. That's plenty of time.

Also, just because six of the episodes shown thus far have been side stories from the source material does not mean squat. I haven't read the source material and I don't care about the source material. What I'm judging is the Anime, and in the Anime those so-called "side stories" are right there front and centre. Instead of being OVAs they are in the main show, forming an integral part of Kirito's character arc.

But I will side with you on something. The main storyline does not have to start right away. It is quite common for shows to spend their entire first halves developing their casts before introducing the main plot. Take Trigun. One of the best Anime shows ever made, yet we don't get more than hints of a main plot until episode twelve. Also, in many of the early episodes (I counted seven), Vash helped out females in various ways, and the show never got accused of being a Harem series.

So yeah, people shouldn't write off Sword Art Online just yet, it has plenty of time to make its point. But that doesn't mean that the show is immune to criticism either. It hasn't developed its cast as well as it should, and the side stories haven't been merged in well to thre main plot. Whereas Trigun's early episodes didn't feel like filler (even though they totally were).

Let me put it even simpler. In Sword Art Online, the elements are fine, but the execution of those elements has been a bit lacking. Still adequate for the time being, but not up to where the show could have and should have been.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Let me put it even simpler. In Sword Art Online, the elements are fine, but the execution of those elements has been a bit lacking. Still adequate for the time being, but not up to where the show could have and should have been.

Yes. This.

Which I would like to point out has been my point from the very beginning!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8