• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Biglobe Poll: Best Gundam TV Series After 1989

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regannator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Lol at thinking 0083 or EW are good.

It's absolutely hilarious that you're crapping on Stardust Memory because it's "not good"...with a Kingdom Hearts avatar. Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Lol at thinking 0083 or EW are good.

It's absolutely hilarious that you're crapping on Stardust Memory because it's "not good"...with a Kingdom Hearts avatar. Laughing
Yeah Kingdom Hearts is pretty terrible, not as terrible as 0083 though.

And they both are kind of similar in that aesthetics is about all they have going for them. They both are devoid of actual interesting characters. Unless you count extremely narrow minded villains and protagonists that are as interesting as dry paint to be cool. Does Kou even have a character arc worth remembering? I'm not sure, but hell that's something even Gundam Age has been able to do. And lets not even talk about the craptastic love portion. Why anyone would ever like Nina is a true anime mystery. Almost as big as the plotholes the show features. It may make more sense then a KH game, but that's only because it's an incredibly simple plot(that they somehow screwed up) stretched past it's time.

About the only thing 0083 has going for it is fantastic mech deigns and some great animation. The character designs are great, to bad they are for characters that don't do the word justice. Truly 0083 may have the best look of any Gundam show, well at least till Unicorn showed up and maybe 00. It also has the best opening. But outside of that you are left with a terrible cast and a story thats incredibly dry. There's really no point to it, and it's even worse since it's a prequel and what it leads into is already known. It's even worse at being a prequel because it's extremely unnecessary in the story of Gundam. We did'nt even need to know why the Titans formed. I mean we already could have got the gist of it from using common sense. There was a huge war in those rebellious colonies and the Federation wanted to lay down the law. 0083 dosent really add anything other then some cool mech designs. Compare it to Unicorn, which not only has some decent characters, but also in it's story feels like it has a point and meaning as it feels like a epligoue to the OYW story and the diffidence in quality is night and day

SilverTalon01 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I have to think Seed got hurt by destiny.

Why? Some one else said that too, but it doesn't make sense. For one, Destiny actually did ok in Japan afaik with both the ratings and the merchandise. Look at the ratings, you somehow think that the series with the 2nd highest ratings (not counting re-airs) is strongly disliked over there? Kira is still one of the most popular main characters in the latest Gundam Ace poll I could find which was right before the 00 movie and has a ton more people polled than this biglobe poll. I think the more obvious answer is that the biglobe poll is a completely skewed representation of those series popularity.

You know merchandising is a huge part of the money they make on Gundam right? Anyone that has been to a store with gundam stuff in the past several years can tell you that its easy to find SEED stuff and pretty darn difficult to find anything from X (or Turn-A even).

Thanks for finding those ratings Thhyon.
But this has nothing to do. It's an internet poll, so the audience is already in the niche and minority of Gundam fans. It's almost like say Kotaku having a best game ever poll. Call of Duty is not going to appear on that even though it's the most popular game ever.

I don't know what type of Gundam fan voted on this, but it being online makes me think it's a bit skewed towards the more hardcore and well it wouldn't surprise me Seed is at the bottom.

But anyway like I said, ratings dont mean anything. What is meant by "Destiny hurt Seed" is that you know maybe peoples opinions are down on Seed after Destiny was terrible. Say the way the characters and story developed so bad that it makes you look back and kind of go "crap I know where this goes and it sucks". You look back at Kira and realize that it Seed Destiny he really goes Jesus Yamoto and you realize "damn it started here too" even though you probably didn't care as much before. The amount of his Jesusness in Destiny is so annoying that the far smaller amount in Seed now seems worse. It's the same with Star Wars and some fans. The prequels have hurt the original trilogy, because well now you know Vader was kind of lame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
But anyway like I said, ratings don't mean anything. What is meant by "Destiny hurt Seed" is that you know maybe peoples opinions are down on Seed after Destiny was terrible. Say the way the characters and story developed so bad that it makes you look back and kind of go "crap I know where this goes and it sucks". You look back at Kira and realize that it Seed Destiny he really goes Jesus Yamoto and you realize "damn it started here too" even though you probably didn't care as much before. The amount of his Jesusness in Destiny is so annoying that the far smaller amount in Seed now seems worse. It's the same with Star Wars and some fans. The prequels have hurt the original trilogy, because well know you know Vader was kind of lame.

I don't see how you can say ratings don't mean anything. They certainly don't mean everything, but there is obviously good information in there or we wouldn't be using pretty much the same system for so long.

Whose opinion is down on SEED after Destiny though? Maybe some of the 4k people in this poll. Thats not true of the 500,000 people Gundam Ace claims it polled, nor is it true for all the people buying tons of SEED merchandise. Bandai also obviously isn't worried about that or they wouldn't have picked SEED to do an hd remake of.

Perhaps you think less of SEED now, and I'm sure you aren't alone. The fanbase, which is mostly in Japan, still thinks pretty highly of it though.

You also seem to be assuming Destiny was heavily disliked (which may actually be true outside Japan) and Kira going Jesus mode was also heavily disliked. I didn't like it, you clearly didn't like it, but it had the 2nd highest ratings of any gundam and I remember the dvd sales being at least decent. Kira's popularity actually increased during Destiny and remains quite high.

I also don't see how you could say that this poll probably attracted more hard core gundam fans. Its an online poll from biglobe who has tons of unofficial polls on random stuff. That isn't really necessarily the kind of place hard core gundam fans visit all the time when the vast majority of their content is unrelated. If anything, I'd say they are probably hard core anime fans, but not necessarily of gundam. The gundam ace polls are something that is far more likely to attract hard core gundam fans, and as of the latest one I saw, SEED does quite well.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm calling bullsh*t on this! 00? Really? Wing, X, SEED and Turn A, AGE, Victory all kick that its butt.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I'm calling bullsh*t on this! 00? Really? Wing, X, SEED and Turn A, AGE, Victory all kick that its butt.

I'd almost disagree with you on some of those, but hey, aliens pretty much ruined it imo.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

00 wasn't amazing, but it was certainly better than SEED and Wing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well, I don't agree with the list entirely (00 and GW over Turn A?), but at least SEED and SEED Destiny are at the bottom, where they belong.

Astoundingly, Gundam AGE is busy making Seed Destiny look nuanced and well written.

The main villain's plan is, amazingly, just an even stupider version of the Destiny Plan.

That's slightly better than Ribbons Almark plan of taking over the world because he thinks his better than everyone else.

Honestly Gundam 00 was worse than Gundam Seed Destiny, at least GSD had a point that made sense. Gundam 00 was the director just name dropping a bunch of places while trying to tell me that war is some simple concept that is simply two sides not understanding each other, and could easily be stopped by the two sides talking to each other.

Apparently Mizushima has never heard of diplomacy.

penguintruth wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

00 wasn't amazing, but it was certainly better than SEED and Wing.

Even the cast of Gundam Wing were more likeable than Celestial Being, in Gundam Wing they kind of portrayed the pilots as in over their head, and the characters do change how they fight, in Gundam 00 the characters never really change how they do things, they just want to force their ideas on everyone else, and the result is that the anime seems to support a "might makes right" viewpoint.

The main female lead (Marina I think) has no character development, and is so utterly useless that I began to like Relena because she can at least talk to people.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

That's slightly better than Ribbons Almark plan of taking over the world because he thinks his better than everyone else.

Honestly Gundam 00 was worse than Gundam Seed Destiny, at least GSD had a point that made sense. Gundam 00 was the director just name dropping a bunch of places while trying to tell me that war is some simple concept that is simply two sides not understanding each other, and could easily be stopped by the two sides talking to each other.
So what you are saying is that 00 was a regular Gundam show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Wing tries its best to dazzle the viewer with talk of pacifism vs war, honor, the evolution of technology in armed combat, and such, but all it does is beat you over the head with its philosophies over and over again until you're too dizzy to think straight and think, "Hey, this is pretty complex." The animation is sh*t poor, the last ten or so episodes and OVA could have been condensed into a few episodes, and really the only things worth looking at are the mechanical designs and some of the combat. It's not really a bad show, but it's impressively unimpressive.

I'll take 00's unfilfilled ideas over Gundam SEED's emptiness. You can tell just by watching just how little energy or passion was put into it, because the characters are blank slates, bland, barely feeling cut outs, automatons the viewer is forced to self-insert into (narcassism is probably why they're so popular), because they have no personality of their own. The story, the dialogue, even the art feels entirely clinical and detached. You can tell where you're supposed to feel something, but it's always a cue rather than a geniunely provoking scene. It seems like it was only made out of obligation to make more Gundam. You could tell halfway through that the show was bored of itself.

Plus, it never really examined its basic premise: is it permissible to make an entire different breed of people, to give the wealthy a chance to genetically alter their children? Is it right? Should such technology be only available to the privledged? What is the purpose of the Coordinator and what impact does that have on science and morality? It was touched upon, but never really put under the microscope. Instead we get "DUHR RACISM IS BAD, EVEN THOUGH THESE POOR UNFORTUNATE SUPERMEN WILL PROBABLY REPLACE ORDINARY HUMANS. ANYBODY OPPOSING COORDINATORS IS AN ENTIRELY EVIL RACIST!"

The less said about Destiny the better, but mainly it's just a mess of a show that the writer could not for the life of them set straight to any real meaning or purpose. It was meandering, jumbled, without any real focus, and its final act was just a copy of the final act of SEED.

00, meanwhile, while not spectacular, at least had a fairly consistent attitude. It wasted a lot of time in the first season and tried to juggle too much in the second season, with mixed results. At least there were some personalities in the characters, you could discern their various traits, motivations, and they had presence to them. Certain characters commanded the viewer's attention, kept them looking at the screen. As opposed to the CE Gundam characters who could very well not have been there at all most of the time. They were shrubbery, background tinsel. 00 had actual character to it, felt like somebody actually cared in making it.

But I guess I can't complain too hard about CE Gundam. Even after I hated SEED, I still sat through fifty episodes of SEED Destiny, and I really have myself to blame for the pain of that show. Nobody put a gun to my head.

Which is why when I started losing interest in AGE, I just dropped it. If a show's going to be bad, whether it be through terrible story and characterization or it just not holding my attention, I'm not just going to sit through it for the sake of completing it. Might I return to AGE at some point? Maybe, but right now it isn't likely. I'm better off saving my attention for the rest of Gundam Unicorn, the only geniunely good Gundam product in the past decade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

With UC Gundam, the poor politics is simply because its easier to portray the Earth Federation as stupid and worthless than it is to portray them as corrupt.

With Gundam 00 its more like Mizushima hasn't even thought of the idea that people go to war for various reasons.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Penguin, I think they didn't put the issue under a microscope on purpose (granted, whether it was on purpose or not isn't going to make you like it more or less). They go into it enough to get the viewer to think about it if they want to, but not enough where the creators are pushing their own morals in your face like how you point out Wing shoves its philosophies at you repeatedly. [Granted that changed in Destiny when they were clearly pushing their opinion against the JSDF deployment through Cagalli's speach about Orb's ideals when she tried to talk Orb into returning home from their deployment.]

I thought they did a pretty good job explaining the moral opposition through Flay, Azrael, and the Blue Cosmos. I will give you that they never went into who was able to have the choice to make their child a coordinator, and maybe it was really expensive, but close to the time the war started, Plant might have been funding it due to their birth rate issue. The purpose of the coordinators was pretty much explained though.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

I don't see how the plot of "omg lets form an organization with the goal of uniting the Earth to deal with the approaching aliens" can be a regular Gundam show. Though I'm pretty sure you are saying it isn't a regular show as well.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
They do explore it to a certain degree, the Coordinators are shown to have turned making a baby into basically shopping for it (One fashback has a distraught mother screaming that her child was supposed to have blue eyes) and the main point of the series was that coordinators were still human despite what Patrick Zala and his followers proposed.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Penguin, I think they didn't put the issue under a microscope on purpose (granted, whether it was on purpose or not isn't going to make you like it more or less). They go into it enough to get the viewer to think about it if they want to, but not enough where the creators are pushing their own morals in your face like how you point out Wing shoves its philosophies at you repeatedly. [Granted that changed in Destiny when they were clearly pushing their opinion against the JSDF deployment through Cagalli's speach about Orb's ideals when she tried to talk Orb into returning home from their deployment.]

I thought they did a pretty good job explaining the moral opposition through Flay, Azrael, and the Blue Cosmos. I will give you that they never went into who was able to have the choice to make their child a coordinator, and maybe it was really expensive, but close to the time the war started, Plant might have been funding it due to their birth rate issue. The purpose of the coordinators was pretty much explained though.

The C.E show in particular Gundam Seed Destiny did show the directors opinion pretty blatantly, it's kind of obvious that the dystopian view of the United States under the rule of a secret group of businesses was how he viewed american politics.

Orb was also intended as his view on the idealistic version of Japan, a country that welcomes and treats people fairly while sporting a strong military solely for defense.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
give really if female polls version of this so likely GS female would been more higher than 00-ver rated & PG-age female.

besides PG-age female barely not much & give 00-ver rated same fillers as well they barely did anything in their series.

compare to GS era female oh yea more well done on it especially the Lacus!!!

indeed this is just total SCREW JOB on this voting.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I don't see how the plot of "omg lets form an organization with the goal of uniting the Earth to deal with the approaching aliens" can be a regular Gundam show. Though I'm pretty sure you are saying it isn't a regular show as well.
The entire idea of war happening because two sides don't understand each other and that they should talk rather then fight is probably the most Gundam thing ever. And a dude who thinks he should decide the fate of mankind because he may have a superior complex. Nope doesn't sound like a usual Gundam trope either.

And I hate to break it, but none of the Gundam shows have had real deep political crap going on. It's pretty 8th grade level at best. At least 00 took current state of affairs and built a pretty entertaining show based on real world politics. was the depction of the Middle East the greatest thing ever? Nope, but it sure was handled far better then most anime. Almost to the point of being realistic in a cartoon way. Was it the most deepest thing ever? No, but it sure was a lot better then most of the political crap in Gundam shows.I can't help that S2 or the movie was bad. Hell half the problem with Season 2 is that it's a more usual Gundam show complete with out of body experiences, crappy animu characters, mind crap. S2 is pretty much what the Gundam fan in Japan wants.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

And I hate to break it, but none of the Gundam shows have had real deep political crap going on. It's pretty 8th grade level at best. At least 00 took current state of affairs and built a pretty entertaining show based on real world politics. was the depction of the Middle East the greatest thing ever? Nope, but it sure was handled far better then most anime. Almost to the point of being realistic in a cartoon way. Was it the most deepest thing ever? No, but it sure was a lot better then most of the political crap in Gundam shows.I can't help that S2 or the movie was bad. Hell half the problem with Season 2 is that it's a more usual Gundam show complete with out of body experiences, crappy animu characters, mind crap. S2 is pretty much what the Gundam fan in Japan wants.

Except they dont explain what the middle east crisis is, they just make the main character an atheist kurd. The same thing with everything else, it just says war is bad names a bunch of conflicts without explaining what caused them, and then gives a ridiculous answer.

It represents one of the biggest problems with anime were halfway through the story all of a sudden the director and writer want me to suspend my disbelief on the story.

If the creators are going to create a ridiculous story then they should just do it from the beginning and not because they dont know how to finish the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6