• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FMA - Hesistate?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
I got this lying around, but im not really sure if I should go for it. It has gotten really good scores on the sites, but is it really that good?

Is it funny? Are the characters interesting? Is there good action?

I read some synopsis and the hole thing just seems kind of strange. I dont know what this hole alchemy thing is.

But honestly - is it really worth a shot? Does it have a shonen appeal?
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I love this show. The plot may seem silly at first, but if you really dig angsty stuffs, you'll really like it. I love sad type of shows, so maybe this is why I love it so much. Anime smile Also, it's on Adult Swim if you care to give it a go (but, this is only if you live in America) so, maybe you can check it out there.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I am watching it on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. I'm hooked Very Happy .

The action sequences - and there are plenty of them - are fun and inventive. What makes it interesting is waiting to see exactly how Ed (and some of the other alchemists) are going to use their powers in any given situation. The twists in the plot also keep things jumping and I haven't been bored one single episode.

It's technically shounen, I believe, but with appeal to just about anyone old enough to handle the violence. I'm a thirtysomething woman and I'm completely absorbed by whether things will come out alright for Ed and Al. Their relationship and general situation should grab anyone who's ever loved a brother or sister - or someone who fills that role in their lives.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
hate to be a buzz kill but I thought it was not all that good.

sure it starts off well enough but while watching it(same with Gantz actually) I was hopping up and down shouting for them to get on with it.

biggest weakness of the series? For me at least?

simple, too many characters with the potential to be very interesting and none of them get enough attention to develop properly. This leads to them being more or less pointless throughout the series apart from a few scenes where they do something.

for example Winry(that right? the blonde who does the arm and legs...) spoiler[apart from doing his arms and legs when they get damaged she does what? It gets hinted she could be a love interest for Ed(potential wasted) and it leads nowhere.]

or perhaps Rose, she errr...spoiler[lets Ed explain alchemy early on, fine no problem there...except she keeps coming back and does nothing...she doesnt even seem to have any aims at all, and again the love interest for Ed...pans out to nothing.]

then theres Hohenheim...he's in what 4 episodes? Huge potential for a character development but short of dropping hints and being cryptic he achieves little(ok yes he tells loads about alchemy but how did the knowledge actually change the story from then on?)

now yes I'll freely admit that by the time most of this was happening I was prejudiced against the series(around ep40) and only continued to the end because everyone on this site told me it was good, and this will almost certainly have made me miss parts but as just a general viewing this is the impression I got.

final points, Sheska..I so wish she had more in the series...sigh...(some fanservice always gets me, but hey check the name)

and the sewing life alchemist(cant remember his real name) sickened me almost to the point of stopping then and there, and his daughter was called Nina making it ten times worse.
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Your a tough critic, and you don't see the series the way the creator wanted people to see it, and don't forget the series isn't over and if you see the storyline for what it is you would see how the significance of each charactor complies to the storyline and then you could see the series the way that the creator wanted you to see it and it would make sence enough to get it... (no disrespect)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the early days of watching it, and I have to say the only reason I'm forcing myself to stick with it is that so many people say it's really good. Am I missing something here?

It's all very well going on about how you can see it the way the creator sees and if only other people could do the same they'd like it too, but if the creator fails to communicate his intentions to people then that's his fault, not theirs.
inuyasha1357

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
well i wasn't blaming him for not seeing it the way i do, and right now i'm looking for the link where they show an interview with the creator and if you listen to this you'll understand Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pingo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I have now watched 10 episodes.

I think it's quite interesting in some ways, even though I didn't cared much for the fights.

AL is a very interesting character. The simple fact that he talks with a little girly voice while being in that armor is funny.
Still I think it's like something missing.

I will watch more. It's defintely well made.

But im also a bit like... "ehh.. huh?". Smile
CyberViper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought that this series was absolutely amazing.
I think i found like 1 thing i didn't like about it....but i can't remember what it is so it's probably not that important!

Anways, it's an amazing series. I loved all of the characters, there wasn't a single one i just hated (like there tends to be in many animes). I loved the plot from the beginning.

It defintely does have it's funny moments, and a good amount of action as well.

If you don't know what alchemy is that's fine...you will soon enough.

I gained even more respect for the show, once i learned more about Alchemy myself in a Belief and Thought class.

spoiler[But the whole Homonculus thing isn't really made up...in alchemy people beleive they could actually create humans without souls, and even have recipies for it! (Even though they are outrageous).]

I strongly recommend watching this anime.

Last edited by CyberViper on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
for example Winry(that right? the blonde who does the arm and legs...) spoiler[apart from doing his arms and legs when they get damaged she does what? It gets hinted she could be a love interest for Ed(potential wasted) and it leads nowhere.]

He heh, I agree that this happening could have improved the series, but I had to come to terms with the fact that FMA is a shounen-targeted action/adventure series, not a romance. Guess they don't want to alienate 12 y/o boys with "Eww kissing" stuff.

But despite that, FMA is one of those series that is worth its hype - action-packed, good/complex story, very creative in the use of alchemy, characters that you love to love or love to hate. Maybe I'll move FMA up in the rewatch schedule, as it's been almost a year since I've seen it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

He heh, I agree that this happening could have improved the series, but I had to come to terms with the fact that FMA is a shounen-targeted action/adventure series, not a romance. Guess they don't want to alienate 12 y/o boys with "Eww kissing" stuff.

But despite that, FMA is one of those series that is worth its hype - action-packed, good/complex story, very creative in the use of alchemy, characters that you love to love or love to hate. Maybe I'll move FMA up in the rewatch schedule, as it's been almost a year since I've seen it.

Not to put a fine a point it, but in Ed's list of priorities, "Love" isn't high up there. I thought they made this point several times in the series.

At least, that's my take.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
well I guess.

its just a shame that they couldnt use some of their huge potential cast to better effect, they were just there most of the time and just popped in to do something minor...and then theres Rose...who doesnt actually do anything apart from look after a child.

then they wasted Sheska...such an attractive design and a good character to boot.
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with pretty much all negative comments in this thread. Love isn't a focus in FMA, not in the way people might believe it is, instead it is about the love between brothers and their past love for their mother.

Winry was a side character, nothing more really. In the same way there were three Japanese people transported in the 12 kingdoms instead of just the main character, Winry was there to still stick a foot in reality and how our main characters communicated with their environment. Imagine how the series would've turned out if it was nothing else than Ed and Al versus the rest of the world, kinda monotonous

I'm also kinda glad that Winry didn't have her own side story and own episodes and whatnot. This isn't Tsukihime where each and every character is a plot focus at one point, it's about Ed, Al and their quest, nothing more. Even the episodes that concentrated on other characters were more reflections on Ed and Al than real side stories.

Other than that, the realized fantasy world was coherent and very interesting. It's important to realize that there just isn't anything like FMA in the respect that Magic isn't just some weird thing that suddenly exists in the FMA world. It gets explained, needs its own rules, needs literal studying to get good at, etc. This is genuinly interesting and creative, for me anyway.

Also, the storyline is very cohesive for such a long series. There's a well defined beginning, spoiler[Ed and Al set out to repair their bodies] and a well defined ending spoiler[they both succeed in repairing each other's bodies.] This is something very welcomed in a genre rife with chaotic storylines full of unexplained holes, irregularities and extreme changes of focus.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quote
oh I am not saying it failed in its target audience, just that, for me at least a series that gets so much hype and wide acclaim as FMA it should be able to cover more than just its target audience.

the way it was hyped was like it was the best thing to come out of Japan for a while, I disagree on the basis that it may have been the best for its audience but thats hardly the BEST ever...

while yes my problem was the lack of development of their vast cast of interesting characters it would not have been such a problem if they hadn't spent so many episodes not concentrating on Ed and Al and semi beginning the development of the others, they give you a teaser of the other characetrs development but dont follow through with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1