• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance Anime..help me please...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Ok here is the jist of it.

I'm personly not a big romance fan i completly dislike soap opras and the whole "i love u/like you" things kinda of anoys me.
Here is my delima, i have heard a few good things about Love Hina. I was woundering is the romance greater then the comedy side or dose the comedy give a lighter side to the romance?

because who dosent like a good laugh at someone elses expence

Or would i be wasteing my time with this show. I'll give an example, I read a little about DNAngel and heard some good things about it. When i watched the 1st 2 or 3 episodes of it i regreted ever getting it. Would this likly happen to me with this Love Hina?

*please give your oppinion on the show or based on wut i said if I would like or dislike **Rember this is your oppinion**
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I think... it's more on the COMEDY side of things... I had this friend in a depression once, he watched it and he laughed away the depression

From what I recall, it's more of comedy, but then they try to divert it to romance on occasion... but half the time, they're screwing around and most people consider it shallow...

It's fun, if anything
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I personally found the show to be very repetetive. I watched the series all the way through and didn't care for it. At least in my opinion all it does is re-use the same jokes that were established in the first few episodes so I found it boring and well, not funny. The whole "whoops I tripped onto your chest AHHH I got punched through a wall" routine works only so many times. I didn't care for the romance side because it seemed for the most part to stay pretty stagnant and was just an overlay in order to fuel an overall story. I just think there's better stuff out there, I don't really care for the whole harem genre anyway.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Love Hina does have some romance and some "I like you..." scenes, but I'd say that most of the plot is an excuse for

a) Keitarou to accidentally see a girl in a state of undress or accidentally fall on her

b) Keitarou to be punished in a variety of ways--either sent flying with "Naru Punch," blown away with some special sword trick, or chased by random mecha machines. (don't worry, if you watch it, this stuff will make sense)

It is a bit repetitive, but it's lighthearted shounen fun--no serious Fruits Basket or SaiKano-level angst. Overall, it's less romance content than DN Angel; DN Angel adds even more romantic content as you get into the middle/end of the show.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
2Real, would you please stop asking "I've heard anime XYZ, is it good?" You've already created dozens of similar posts. You should have learned how to sift the wheat from the chaff after finishing 71 titles. Well, I shouldn't put too much hope on one who would rate Nausicaa 'decent' and DBZ8 'masterpiece'.

One last question: how old are you, biologically and cybernetically?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
2Real

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
Dormcat, I belive the whole idea of rating a anime is to give YOUR oppinion on it not that of what everyone wants to hear. With that statement u made about my likes and dislikes just goes to prove to me exactly wut your views on animes are. I wil have to rember as to not take your advise on further matters.

Thank you, have a nice night Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Dormcat, I belive the whole idea of rating a anime is to give YOUR oppinion on it not that of what everyone wants to hear.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all ears, ready to listen to your precious opinions on some of the worst titles we've ever seen, such as Last Exile, and mediocre titles like R.O.D (both OVA and TV series).

I'm looking forward to your next lecture on English spelling and grammar as well. Please let us know when the next class session shall begin.

Oh, and please forgive me for not realizing you've seen every good (above avrage) anime show + movie. I'm really no match for a noble being like you.

2Real wrote:
With that statement u made about my likes and dislikes just goes to prove to me exactly wut your views on animes are. I wil have to rember as to not take your advise on further matters.

My, my, my. Even I have difficulties defining my views on anime. Allow me to usher a Chinese phrase: are you a Caenorhabditis elegans in my intestine?

2Real wrote:
Thank you, have a nice night Smile

Different places of the world don't share the same time zone, you know (or do you?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CyberViper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:19 am Reply with quote
As stated above, Love Hina is more of a repetative comedy, than a romance. It does have it romantic components...but I would have to say it's more than a comedy. It was pretty good at first and I was interested, but it did become the same old thing over and over.

Nevertheless I wasn't completely dissapointed.

Air (TV) is a short romance, and it's funny as well. I just finished watching it this morning actually and enjoyed it very much. It has it's weird moments...but it's romantic and funny enough to cover both areas.

Chobits is hilarious (okay I thought it was) and it also has a romance plot. So does DearS (which is much shorter with no random flashback episodes), but I perfer Chobits more.

Okay, there's a ton more...but since you didn't ask for suggestions i'll stop there.

Although Love Hina wasn't bad, I would say that there are many better ones out there.
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:10 am Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:

Air (TV) is a short romance, and it's funny as well. I just finished watching it this morning actually and enjoyed it very much. It has it's weird moments...but it's romantic and funny enough to cover both areas.

Chobits is hilarious (okay I thought it was) and it also has a romance plot. So does DearS (which is much shorter with no random flashback episodes), but I perfer Chobits more.

From what I can see I doubt he will like Air, since it's basically a romantic drama. Chobits is probably also going to annoy him, especially Chii's limited vocabulary in the beginning and the relatively slow pace. DearS... no idea.

From the list of anime he has watched I would say the kind of humor he likes is the weird, edgy and action-filled. Maybe Excel Saga would be suitable, as it's basically the current top contender for over the top comedy. Sure it's heavy on parody and satire that might whoosh over the head, but concerns like that never stopped people from liking The Simpsons. Other possibilities include Ranma ½ (heavy on martial arts and anarchic comedy. The first season is very well animated) and Great Teacher Onizuka (some action and plenty of over the top teacher behavior).
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
Edit: Wait, fudge it, you're all jerkcircles.
daristar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it's more comedy. In fact from a relationship standpoint it's rather frustrating.

It's not as funny as say School Rumble in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1