• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
looking for some violent anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unfoundlime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend that never really liked anime until I showed him Berserk, that wasn't enough to get him to like the stuff I regularly watch(like the stuff on Cartoon network). Then I showed him Elfen Lied since I knew he would like it, he has since been just as interested in anime as I.

Here's my problem though, he needs about 2 levels of violence to every level of complexity the anime has. Stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Full Metal Alchemist dont hold his attention.

I enjoy a wide varity of anime but have only experienced a few that are that violent. So I could use some advice in the titles I can suggest to him that contain dark or violent content, and it couldn't hurt to also have a little fanservice of the non-violent type.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:11 am Reply with quote
Here's a no-brainer: rent M.D. Geist. the anime has absolutely no story. Just random violence and gore that makes Elfen Lied look like Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
This is an overlooked gem of gore and violence: Angel Cop.

Stupid Plot, enough swearing to make a sailor blush, and lotta violence in all manner of ways. Oh, and there is some nudity and fanservice.
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Pretty strange friend you have there...

Oh well, the 3 Violence Jack OVAs seem to be his cup of tea. But beware: even if you're a Go Nagai fan like me, you may consider this series complete trash!

And then there's Dokuro-chan, which, besides of being decently gory, is very cute and shoots some bright comedy sparkles. But no story here neither, besides a refreshingly halfway identifiable main character.

If you're kids of the 80's, you'll love Fist of the North Star. Pure toughness and gratuitous violence here, Mad Max style.

Or maybe you'll like something that as even an epic story, charismatic characters and perfect design and animation to offer? Don't miss the Ninja Scroll movie!

But I'm really wondering if I should tell you all that... nevermind, have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
yes Gantz.

I actually posted that up in this thread but it disappeared...and I was sent no PM or e-mail from mods telling me that it was them...mystery.

but yes Gantz, its also got sex scenes just so you know but as with many of the titles in this thread the story is pretty much just a poor excuse for people to shoot aliens and explode...
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
In terms of sex and violence Gantz is tame compared to Urotsukidoji. As a matter of fact, Urotsukidoji makes Gantz look like Sesame Street. Here's an example:

spoiler[Nagumo gets run over by a truck while trying to chase Akemi. After he's presumed dead in the hospital, a nurse prepares to close the morgue when Nagumo comes back to life and rapes her until she explodes.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that sounds awesome Laughing
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
yes but urotsikudoji is hentai, and sick hentai at that.

so seeing as he didn't actually ask for hentai I cant see how its that relevant.

and as for iolence will any violence do or does it have to be graphic violence.

if nto then some of the monster of the week style shows like Inuyasha would probably be good enough or DBZ...you'd need to skip past hours of grunting and shouting and pretty lame posturing("You will feel my power! Bwahahahahah! UUUURGHH"(yes they sound constipated))
unfoundlime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

I actually posted that up in this thread but it disappeared...and I was sent no PM or e-mail from mods telling me that it was them...mystery.

Thanks for all the suggestions, even the ones that mysteriously disappeared?! I read about 7 or so posts that vanished shortly after.

My plan is to gradually get my friend accustomed to anime and hopefully broaden his interests. At the moment his interest is limited to dark and violent animes. Eventually I think I can get him to appreciate more genres much like I do.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had completely forgotten about Bokusatsu Tenchi Dokuro-chan (which means "Club to Death Angel Dokuro-chan"). It is randomly and excessively violent, though in general I wouldn't call it a good show for newbies. I'd say Berserk, but I hear its plot is pretty complex to go along with the violence. . .and then there's Texhnolyze, but that probably goes against the ratio, as it has more plot complexity than it does violence. As you can tell by my posts, I'm not into pointless violence shows. . .I say, once you expose him to other genres, strap him to a chair and make him watch Fruits Basket and Full Moon wo Sagashite Laughing Twisted Evil
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Dead Leaves is violent but it's violence is more cartoonish.

Zalis116 wrote:
I say, once you expose him to other genres, strap him to a chair and make him watch Fruits Basket and Full Moon wo Sagashite Laughing Twisted Evil

Be sure to get some of those A Clockwork Orange eyelid locks Smile
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend the Ninja Scroll (the movie) and/or Ninja Scroll The Series They are both good anime's (particularly the movie) and they both have a lot of violence/gore (for the violence and gore part, i'd go for The Series.) There is also Gantz which has been mentioned already, i'd highly suggest this anime. It has violence, plot twists, and bad language..who could ask for more?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:23 am Reply with quote
GloriousPikachu wrote:
I'd recommend the Ninja Scroll (the movie) and/or Ninja Scroll The Series They are both good anime's (particularly the movie) and they both have a lot of violence/gore (for the violence and gore part, i'd go for The Series.) There is also Gantz which has been mentioned already, i'd highly suggest this anime. It has violence, plot twists, and bad language..who could ask for more?

me, lets see.

A plot, not killing off the entire cast, a decent ending!

that show so annoyed me....
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
unfoundlime wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, even the ones that mysteriously disappeared?! I read about 7 or so posts that vanished shortly after.

My plan is to gradually get my friend accustomed to anime and hopefully broaden his interests. At the moment his interest is limited to dark and violent animes. Eventually I think I can get him to appreciate more genres much like I do.

My non-asian friends are like that too. If it's not Gundam or violent, it's not worth watching to them. There is the rare case (one of them like Shaman King, while another likes Wolf's Rain, which never really got violent until the OVA episodes), but otherwise, they shun any other series that I mention. They also don't like watching older series, no matter good it is, which is why they didn't want to watch Evengelion or Cowboy Bebop after the first episode, even though they admitted that it was good. Confused They also think that if they see any exposed female body parts (like in Elfen Lied), they'll think it's p0rn, which really pisses me off considering that their ignorance is incomprehendable. Like come on, there's a difference between fanservice and the nasty stuff. -_-

Anyways, I would recommend series such as Blood+ or Elfen Lied for some good bloody violence. Bleach and Trinity Blood are also series with a considerable amount of violence, and have some funny scenes in-between. These were the seies which lured my friends into watching non-Gundam anime.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Ziphen wrote:
Hellsing would be a good anime for him, with a decent plot and loads of violence. Though a little light on the gore.

little light on the gore you say?

errr, lets see episode one.

people being eaten, guy shot so many times he loses all natural form, puddles of blood, a hole blasted through a persons chest, man disintegrating after being blown apart...

ep 2....

etc.

there is plenty of gore in it, while yes its not as drect as maybe elfen lied with hearts being punched out or fist of the north star with heads exploding its there all the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2