• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime-lympics

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="Snomaster1"]Well,sports anime haven't done as well here as other anime genres have. Stuff like "The Prince of Tennis" have yet to find an audience here.quote]

Someone likes the manga, at least. The original 42-volume series has been released here in its entirety.

I'm dissapointed that there aren't really any anime about weightlifting. I've always been a fan of powerlifting (I played the sport all the way through high school), and while an olympic weightlifiting manga (I'm reffering to competition that revolve around the clean-and-jerk and the snatch, not just weightlifting in the olympics) wouldn't be exactly the same thing, it'd be close enough.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
I can't believe that for gymnastics you didn't use Princess 69 as an example. Truly that has everything that's interesting about the sport Razz

A great drama about unqualified coaches, indeed.

And don't forget doping. Its all about the doping.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I also heard about "Eagle Sam." I hope it does get shown here. I'd also love to see it dubbed into English. It would be pretty interesting to see.

Supposedly it's in a legal quagmire, even in Japan, and hasn't been seen in decades.

The Soviet Olympic mascot Misha got an anime, too. Then Japan (and the USA) ended up boycotting those Olympics and the anime got cancelled.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Do they really have that shirt at Target?!
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Takokujin wrote:
I still can't believe what NBC did. Sad.

What did they do? I don't follow the olympics.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Loved the article. Some points:

-(Yeah, I know this article focuses on anime, but) I'm surprised that there aren't more Olympic sports based manga out there just based on the popularity of sports manga in general. If golf ever
becomes an Olympic sport...Heaven help us all (it'll probably take all two weeks to finish a game! Wink

-My Heavenly Hockey Club is actually about a bunch of spoiled rich boys avoiding hockey competitions as much as possible and just using the club as an excuse to travel around the country and eating the best, most exotic foods on school time. That's what makes it one of the funniest parodies of shojo sports manga/reverse harems out there! (Fav moment: during a rare game, a member of the rival team shouts "They have a girl on their team!" Hana, our resident cross-dressing goalie assumes she's outed, but he's actually referring to Natsuki, the team's prettiest bishie, who promptly lets the opposing team look down his pants!)

-How can you bring up women's volleyball and not mention the manga that ran in Viz's Shojo Beat magazine throughout it's run, Crimson Hero? I don't read much sports manga, but I remember an arc in which the heroine went of to train at a college to improve her high school game. She was challenged by a game of beach volleyball, which highlighted the differences between the two types of the game. I finally understood why they are two separate events at the Olympics.

-I really hope the ParaOlympics gets more coverage than it usually does this year. I certainly want to see it, because they are the most admirable athletes, imho. Real, the wheelchair basketball manga by Takehiko Inoue is a great read, and one of the characters definitely has Olympic dreams.

-The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service has a very characteristically creepy, morbid, gory and hilarious story arc about an Olympic swimmer.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Winter Games of Anime (and manga) article, because I'm always on the lookout for anime and manga about my favorite sport: figure skating!
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Overdrive is far and away the best cycling anime/manga I ever lais eyes on.

It actually sparked my interest in the sport.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Just now getting around to reading this...

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
Rounding off this group is badminton. Yep, badminton, a sport that's actually hugely popular in countries such as Indonesia. The only badminton manga I was able to find good information on is a title called Yamato's Shuttle, a 4-volume series that takes the standard shonen tournament formula and applies it to the sport of racquets and shuttlecocks.

Well, Tari Tari has a Sometimes Badminton Club, but they do other things too.

You've got the 13 volume long manga Smash and いちばんっ!! (Ichiban!!...tsu?) by 東城和実. Those look like shonen titles. For girls, you've got the 2008 two-volume shojo title called Bad Girl (short for "badminton girl," obviously, and spelled in katakana). There's also a title from 1980 called ラブオール青春 (Love... something? Fly? Youth?).

My source for sports manga of interest is the Japanese wikipedia page that lists manga by sport, with the help of google translate. There's even this badminton subcategory. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a badminton anime adaptation.

Not all of the sports titles have Japanese wikipedia entries, but copying and pasting into a google image search usually yields fun results.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Aria probably fits better under canoeing than under rowing. ...

The "backwards" scene in the first episode, that's rowing. According to the extras in the first series, they had to fix the way they animated the sculling of the gondolas when they visited Venice and saw how it was actually done.
Ravendruid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Can't leave out Suzuka for track and field. It was the first sports anime that I actually watched all the way through.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
[q]With the London Olympics rushing up, I noticed something that amused me. As I walked into Target, I could only think one thought: Oh look! They're selling anime shirts again.[/quote]
And I see they're going for that "authentic" look as well I could only get at a Salvation Army.

Takokujin wrote:

It was pretty dumb, and some of us close to the border wished CBC had them instead of CTV (since I can still watch the CBC where I am).

belvadeer wrote:
Yay for Tiger Mask...and le sigh. I'll never get to watch that show properly. Why is it foolish North America didn't ever consider these shows worth dubbing? Sad

Of course there's plenty of things America missed out on anyway. You end up realizing how better off some European countries were in getting this stuff anyway.

mrsatan wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:
I also heard about "Eagle Sam." I hope it does get shown here. I'd also love to see it dubbed into English. It would be pretty interesting to see.

Supposedly it's in a legal quagmire, even in Japan, and hasn't been seen in decades.

The Soviet Olympic mascot Misha got an anime, too. Then Japan (and the USA) ended up boycotting those Olympics and the anime got cancelled.

At least that one managed to get a DVD release in Spain.

It is kinda amusing to think both shows never saw respectively airplay in their home countries otherwise despite being made.

Kidnicky wrote:
Takokujin wrote:

What did they do? I don't follow the olympics.

There's a few news articles on that already, namely not showing it live is a start.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
dm wrote:
Aria probably fits better under canoeing than under rowing. ...

The "backwards" scene in the first episode, that's rowing. According to the extras in the first series, they had to fix the way they animated the sculling of the gondolas when they visited Venice and saw how it was actually done.

Venetian-style rowing is rowing rather than paddling; it uses a fulcrum called a forcola that serves the same purpose as an oarlock.
treadwell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
There's also an old anime called "Animal 1". It was a black and white show from 1968 about a boy training to be a wrestler for the Mexico City Olympics.

anime#1080
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Of course there's plenty of things America missed out on anyway. You end up realizing how better off some European countries were in getting this stuff anyway.

Yeah I know, which is what bothers me. Europe (and pretty much every other continent besides NA) got some anime I really do wish to see but probably never will unless they plan some kind of amazing DVD boxset for Tiger Mask that we can actually get (0% chance there I'm sure). I'm annoyed we never got a dub of Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken either. Gets dubbed in every language on the planet except English, it just makes me go WTF. Shocked
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

Yeah I know, which is what bothers me. Europe (and pretty much every other continent besides NA) got some anime I really do wish to see but probably never will unless they plan some kind of amazing DVD boxset for Tiger Mask that we can actually get (0% chance there I'm sure). I'm annoyed we never got a dub of Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken either. Gets dubbed in every language on the planet except English, it just makes me go WTF. Shocked

Nobody in the US ever really cared to get head-first into that stuff to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2