• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Umineko: When They Cry Mystery Anime (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming, somewhat desperately, that this is some kind of test for the "When They Cry" works. If buying a premium edition of this might get me Higurashi, Kai, and the OVAs then I'll fork out the money to support the genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Can't say much about this anime myself, but I know one friend who will be extremely happy to hear this got licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious - where were all you When They Cry lovers when Funi issued the rescue set? Apparently it didn't sell well, but I always see people clamoring for it now.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm curious - where were all you When They Cry lovers when Funi issued the rescue set? Apparently it didn't sell well, but I always see people clamoring for it now.

Staring lovingly at my Geneon release of When They Cry. Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Vocal yet small group of fans, like always?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It was being released by genon usa in 30-40 dollar singles in 08 with 6 total most fans where either teenagers or in college. I supported the funimation box-set they released for 50$ to support a series I loved and it's shame it didn't sell well but singles/art-boxes died out that year due to the bubble popping.

I will support this release to show my support for the franchise with hopes to see the rest of it over here legally.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Many of us had the Geneon release--which was, in fact, only half of the main story--and weren't going to buy the same product a second time.

Which Funi then used as an excuse not to bring over new material like Kai, Rei, etc. that they could have marketed to the whole fanbase. Rolling Eyes
Seacats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this forum is really damn laggy.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I got the same thing too. And here I thought I was special Razz
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Guys, when someone does that, don't quote it. Just let me know via PM or email right away and I'll take care of it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
So is the hate for this show just fans of the VN pissing and moaning or do a lot of people unfamiliar with the VN hate it too?
Shippochan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Chrno2"]
Splitter wrote:

Blu-Ray only, well that's a bummer. Guess they won't get my hard earned money. And folks complain about the sub-only issue. What about a regular ED?

That's What made me mad too, What's wrong with doing a blu-ray/dvd combo?

was planning to get it, but now, no point, since I can't play it.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
So is the hate for this show just fans of the VN pissing and moaning or do a lot of people unfamiliar with the VN hate it too?

Most of the hate I've seen seems to be from fans of the VN, but there is definitely hate from people viewing it on its own merits.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

How can I say this from being the fan-boy that I am, I like both the anime and the visual novel but they are so how can I word this so it makes sense.. Well Think of full metal alchemist and FMAB comparison. Deen did an okay job on the first arc of the story and It just went down hill from there on the way the first arc concluded.

There was so much material to cover in the extras after each arc "tea party and ????" you unlock that are cannon parts of the story, DEEN really dropped the ball here. What makes the anime so decent is the voice actor roles that made some of the characters come to life but we have full voiced over ps3/psp ports now and those sprites/voices have been patched on the first four arcs of the PC game.

I could ramble on about this however I'm a fan-boy of this series and there wouldn't be point in doing so lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Someone better announce Higurashi and Higurashi Kai in the next 48 hours...

Agreed. Please, please, please someone release Higurashi Kai. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6