• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouka (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
My love for this show knows no bounds. It's hard to imagine it won't get an R1 release. This would also be one of those shows that I would ever bother listening to an English dub if there is one. I don't think I could bear listening to any voice other than Satomi Satou's for Chitanda. And I am not a sub-only dude, I like hybrids. But every now and then a role and a seiyuu comes together and I'm not interested in any other version.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

My highlight of the episode would just be the inclusion of Sugita Tomokazu, his voice roles always grab my attention. There was something I found incredibly adorable about the sweets society girls, who knew jack'o'lanterns could be so moe.

Oh and stoic girl revealed her secret to get guys to di things, and it is what she used on Hotaro. Can't believe how long it took him to figure out spoiler[to use the flour for the cooking comp.]

And what is the deal with the mystery thief taking something from everyone, almost looks like the only ones not hit are the manga and classics club.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Not so sure that the manga and classics club haven't been hit. Maybe What's-Her-Name's manga she was looking for and couldn't find was stolen. And it was the ladle for the classics club cooking team that got swiped.

But yes, forgot to mention how spoiler[cute the pumpkin head girls were.

"Trick or treat!"
"Yay!"]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Chitanda really is clueless sometimes.
spoiler[spoiler[At least she was giving her best to sell the remaining copies of the anthology.
Oreki sure got some weird customers.
He did more trading than actual selling...]
]

Cooking contest spoiler[was fun to watch ^^
That lucky flour bag saved the day!]
Who knew it would come in handy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Just a little thing, but I just realized had a slight resemblance to another KyoAni Halloween scene, they just needed more live bats.

Trick or Treat, search and destroy. Stupid things giving me laughs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised how much more interesting this show has become over the past few weeks. Maybe it's because things are actually happening and characters are starting to work together better. Oreki's humorist cynic is shining through better, I enjoy the various ways he handlea people entering the classics room. I hope this can hold up longer, when Hyouka tries to be serious it just comes off as monotonous and slow paced.

Oh, and needs more Smugi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh, and needs more Smugi.
?

Not sure what you mean, the closest guess I can have is of Tsumugi, which I only just decided to look at the cast and compare voice actors to KyoAni's other work. Only just came to the realisation of the irony of Ritsu's voice actress doing Chitanda, although both are the official leaders of their clubs. I found that Tsumugi's does Henmi from the manga club, Yui's did one of those sisters in the hot spring, Azusa's is Kimura from the manga club, and Mio's was the quiz study chairman.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It's the fan name for Ayako Kouchi, the rival in the manga club. She exudes smug, and it's KyoAni and they all look like Keions, so Smugi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Episode highlight: Chitanda putting into practise spoiler[the advice she got from The Empress on how to get people to do things you want. Naturally, she took it all literally.] Aw, that would have totally worked on me.

I wonder if the show will actually ever develop a romantic relationship between Chitanda and Oreki? I give him points for knowing her so well that he noticed spoiler[she seemed tired (as a result of having to ask for favours).] A most unusual level of awareness for an anime male.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
One thing I have been thinking recently is that Satoshi spoiler[seems to have been showing sort of jealousy or frustration to do with Houtarou, he has been increasingly showing signs of anger, while before he was pretty easy going.] Chitanda seemed to have spoiler[trouble doing what she was told, it could be back to that thing about her having good grades, but trouble putting things into practice. And the weakness of being too nice that she could not make sure that she got something in return for the information.]

This festival arc has arguably been the best thing in the show, that I honestly a bit sad at the idea they only have one day left.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Juumonji's messages keep appearing throughout the cultural festival.]
There's a whole bunch of things missing as well.
Now that is a case worthy of Oreki.
Interesting how their club was getting the most unusual promotion.
spoiler[Chitanda was as pushy as always to promote the club ^^"
Sometimes I think she's overdoing it.]

Guess this case goes on..
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The festival arc has been really neat. Though I am glad we only have one more episode in it. (Probably).

spoiler[Honestly I don't know who I want to catch the thief. I think I would like to have Satoshi, mostly to prove that he can do more than be a database, but also because I will be rolling my eyes if they dedicate a couple episodes to him getting pissed and storming off. ]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I have trepidation about leaving the festival arc only to regress back to stand-alone petty "mysteries". This show has been far more watchable when they're not doing that, I'd prefer to see the characters goof off for another six episodes than delve into ones where Oreki begrudgingly helps people for problems they never knew or cared they had.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have trepidation about leaving the festival arc only to regress back to stand-alone petty "mysteries". This show has been far more watchable when they're not doing that, I'd prefer to see the characters goof off for another six episodes than delve into ones where Oreki begrudgingly helps people for problems they never knew or cared they had.

I am a little worried about that to. I know it fits his character, and I love that they are exploring the other characters, but I'm tired of Oreki being in that damn desk.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

Damn this show is stringing me along, of course I mean that in a good way. His sister seems to be some master of the plot, she set some in place, gave him that pen, and swapped that manga which looks to be the big clue.

As for the plot, it seems that the mystery is actually spoiler[the act of some people as a sequel project to the previous year's manga that Ibara was looking for. We know that the student council president is involved, so that must be an explanation for the thief being able to get in places. I wonder if his sister was involved, Chitanda recognizing her makes it look like she might know some information, and having the manga on hand, wait! Could the pen actually have been meant to be "lost", I don't know much of the language, so I can not really make much of a theory.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11