• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
cowboy Bebop ending.(a question about its meaning) SPOILERS!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BagelMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I just finished CB... WOW.

I have a question. [Spoiler Warning! it is about ending!]

At the very very end after the last credits roll. When you see a picture of a dead spike and then it goes black. What does that line at the bottom mean?

It said: you're gonna carry that weight

the weight of your past? is this why the picture of spike was a close up of his face dead, like he was asleep? to show that he is now "free"? I mean since the picture showed him peacefully asleep/dead and since people in that position are not "doing" anything.

Well OK this question is not about the whole "meaning" of the ending lilke the subject said, but what did it mean to you guys?

I think it basically said that we all have a place to belong to and that is not necessarily where we think. Ed went to his father but faye found there was nothing to go to. Spike, I think, symbolizes choice. He had a choice to go or not to go. Especially since Julia died. Sad

What it meant to me is that your past is always with you and that you can choose between living in it or leaving it. This may sound just "natural" and "duh" but here is what CB is different: it was not either right or wrong for spike to go back; it was just a choice. The END RESULT, however, is what counts: he was set free. the message is for you to choose the path that leads you either from or to your past; which ever sets you free.

So? whatya think? or am I just looking into things too closely? Smile

BTW I'm thinking about this too much so I'll be posting the same thing at gaming-age.com- just wanted to mention that before someone thinks I copied someone else's post. Wink

Last edited by BagelMan on Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:26 pm Reply with quote
First of all, you may want to edit your thread title to add a spoiler warning.

Anyway, I didn't read into it too much. That last line, like many episode titles and other things in this series, were musical references. That line "You're gonna carry that weight" is from a Beatles' song (Abbey Road, I think). I guess it's like you said, Spike made some decisions and this is the end result. Sure, he's dead (as far as we know) but his weight is lifted now that he's woken up from his dream of a happy life as a bounty hunter. No more having to doubt whether he's alive or not. Well, he's dead, but alive in the emotional sense, before he and Vicious had their duel. Faye and Jet are gonna carry emotional weight from losing Spike, and so are we as viewers because the show is over.

I guess there's many ways it can be interpreted, but that's how I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Was the topic title orginally just "Cowboy Bebop ending"? Meh... obviously there's going to be spoilers; a spoiler warning is redundant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:36 pm Reply with quote
My opinion, is that it's a Freudian slip on the part of the director.

"My series is over. The light of my billiance no longer shines on you. Now you must feel bad."
Delthayre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:14 am Reply with quote
That interpertation would only really make sense if Hideaki Anno had directed the series.
NawkXela

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
I think that what they mean by: "YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT" is that since even though Spike (or who ever intended) is free at death they must bear the weight of theirs sins in hell or heven.
Hellsing234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:46 pm Reply with quote
there is always the possiblitly that he could still be alive..
cause technically with all the medical advancements in there era of time they could have rushed him to the hospital cause he now*after killing visious(sp)* was the syndicate leader

side notes:
this is really hopeful thinking on my part
and i cant spell tonight cause its late
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Cool

I would like to put forth a premise I heard before on another anime site.

[spoiler]
In Jupiter Jazz you see the one guy die and the Indian Chief says something about fallen warriors and shooting stars. At the end of Real Folk Blues II when Spike dies you see him dead on the floor. The title "Your'e gonna carry that weight". IIRC Abbey Road was also the last album by the Beatles. Now in relation to the shooting star reference in Jupiter Jazz supposedly at the very end of the last episode of Bebop there is a change of view to the sky and stars, and you see a star wink out. That is supposed to be Spikes star going out, signifying the passing of another warrior.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:10 am Reply with quote
It is true that they could try to shamelessy make more money by bringing Spike back for another season. Nevertheless, that would fly in the face of the story. Clearly Spike is free at last because he is dead; that's what happened and there's no arguing it.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:48 am Reply with quote
Ah, but there is a large and unknown amount of time between episodes 23 and 24. At 24, Ed and Ein are gone, Faye knows the truth, and the tone of the show is changed. While the prior few episodes are the most established. The creator has said as much as any and all new beebop will be in that gap. Like the movie was.
ookaminodensetsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:37 pm Reply with quote
hmmm...well i also heard something about Spike not really dieing in the end. I was told my a reliable source that CB will continue in manga.
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:07 pm Reply with quote
How could spike not be dead, just because the syndicate looked in amazment as he fell, dont you think they bust a couple caps in his ass for killing their boss? Or do they call an ambulance?? haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Anlushac11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:01 pm Reply with quote
ookaminodensetsu wrote:
hmmm...well i also heard something about Spike not really dieing in the end. I was told my a reliable source that CB will continue in manga.

Cool

If he did come back in a manga I would be happy. I know there is a manga out but is the continuing adventures; it takes place in the existing timeline before end of series.
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:46 pm Reply with quote
yea thats the only time you could really base the magna on, even then how much more character development can spike go thru. I mean pretty much throughout the whole seris his character was leading up to saving julia and ending his vendetta with the syndicate....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1