• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Occult Academy Sub.Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
It was too short. If it wanted to mix all of the elements it presented well it should have been twice the length to allow for plot-driven bookends to begin and end the series, and let the middle episodes be the fanservice, the comedy, the parody, and the ones like the little ghost girl. Trying to cram that much into the number of episodes it had just made for a quick mess of a show that cannot reach its true potential.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
drale wrote:
I'm not trying to be a weeabo here, but I have yet to see a show in the last 5 years with a dub that does justice to the original cast. Without fail, the American voice actors are inevitably not as talented.
Though I understand some people are illiterate and prefer lines that don't quite match up and are sometimes dead wrong and out of place.

No, you are pretty much being a weeabo with that rather insulting last sentence added on. I probably would have dismissed your statement as "different strokes for different folks" had you not added that.

Frankly, whenever people make statements like "I've seen no dub in the last five years that does justice to the original cast," I have to wonder how much dubbed anime that person has actually watched in that time frame. Sure, there have been some inadequate ones, but there have also been series like Deadman Wonderland, which I first saw subbed but have been really enjoying in dubbed form; through five episodes so far, virtually every casting choice and performance has been spot-on and I like the way they expanded the amount of swearing in it. It's a crass series, so it should sound crass.

I could give a lot of other examples, too, but I don't want to turn this thread into another sub/dub debate so I'll leave it at that.

For me it's more a dub shouldn't be a factor when reviewing a show, since it has nothing to do with the original product, directors or presentation. It's like reviewing a famous painting through someone's imitation of it.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
No dub as a negative? Really?
We are getting a show over here in it's original language of creation, with subs, so we can enjoy what's on offer.
A dub is simply an added extra. It wasn't originally there, so why should it be a negative?
If the show was created with both language tracks, then yes, I'd feel hard-done by.
I think the problem these days is that everyone expects a dub to just be there. They don't appreciate that in the climate we are in, some shows just aren't going to be profitable enough for a dub.
Let's just be grateful that for such shows, there are companies out there willing to bring them over here, and even with such beautiful packaging such as this.

Maybe in the future, we won't see things such as 'Occult Academy Sub.Blu-Ray 1', and instead just a title.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series and that score is pretty spot on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
There a reason why the title is called "Sub. Blu-Ray 1"?

At first I thought you guys were reviewing it one disc at a time or something.

The one kind of threw me off too. My initial thought was that it was getting two sets and got confused for a few seconds when the review was talking about the whole series. Usually when I see something labeled one it means their is more following it.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
No dub as a negative?

I suspect that was stated because it's one of the more accessible titles in its content, so a dub could have given it some chance among a more casual audience.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
I suspect that was stated because it's one of the more accessible titles in its content, so a dub could have given it some chance among a more casual audience.

While this is true, the lack of a dub is listed as a negative primarily because I'm reviewing the release, not just the series. I've also frequently mentioned a lack of Extras as a negative (or a wealth of them as a positive) on a release, so why not also a lack of a dub? Besides, you'll also sometimes see me put "especially good dub" or "weak dub" as positives or negatives, so the lack of a dub fits in there, too.

And just because I mention that as a negative doesn't mean that I'm not grateful that the title is at least getting released subbed-only; quite the contrary, in fact.

And I don't why the "1" is in the review title. That's just how the release name is officially listed in our system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
I'm not trying to be a weeabo here, but I have yet to see a show in the last 5 years with a dub that does justice to the original cast. Without fail, the American voice actors are inevitably not as talented.
Though I understand some people are illiterate and prefer lines that don't quite match up and are sometimes dead wrong and out of place.

First off; insulting people by implying they are illiterate for liking something you don't or disagreeing with your opinion is not going to fly. You want to disagree then do so, but personal attacks and flames are not going to be tolerated. Plus, when that statement is entirely based on your own subjective opinion you have no position to make such claims in the first place. Guess what? People vary greatly, if you have that little tolerance towards people that don't think just like you then I don't know what to tell you except that kind of attitude is not tolerated here.

AmpersansUnited wrote:
For me it's more a dub shouldn't be a factor when reviewing a show, since it has nothing to do with the original product, directors or presentation. It's like reviewing a famous painting through someone's imitation of it.

Like it or not, when a foreign language show is coming to another country/culture then dubs are going to be a factor for many people. And, I know this might be hard to comprehend, ANN serves the fanbase as a whole, not just you.

Now, apparently just mentioning dub in the review is enough to get the soapboxers in here to preach their dub hate. Well, the same way we don't tolerate the "no dub = no sale" soapboxers, the "you mentioned dubs so I'm going to hijack the thread to tell you all how evil they are" isn't going to be tolerated either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I for one, am glad the lack of a dub was listed as a negative.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Spoilers for So Ra No Wo To for anyone who hasn't seen it. That backstory stuff actually comes through as a slow drip. It would be crazy amazing if that bit could be marked as spoilers or something. It's hard enough as it is to convince people to watch it without spoilers abounding.

- Pips
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Parse Error wrote:

While this is true, the lack of a dub is listed as a negative primarily because I'm reviewing the release, not just the series. I've also frequently mentioned a lack of Extras as a negative (or a wealth of them as a positive) on a release, so why not also a lack of a dub? Besides, you'll also sometimes see me put "especially good dub" or "weak dub" as positives or negatives, so the lack of a dub fits in there, too.

Just throwing my two cents on the issue here: commenting on the content of the package is one thing (i.e. dub quality), but statements like "Not dubbed" could be arbitrarily applied to any review of a sub-only show, which I think is the problem here.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've also frequently mentioned a lack of Extras as a negative (or a wealth of them as a positive) on a release, so why not also a lack of a dub?

Point taken. I do understand it as a release issue, but wasn't thinking of it in that light.

Quote:
The result is a silly, thoroughly eclectic 13-episode series which rarely fails to entertain but struggles to find a proper balance amongst its diverse elements.

This pretty much sums it up. If it had continued with the Evil Dead: The Anime feel it started out with, it would have gone straight to my must-buy list. As it was, it was a reasonably fun romp overall and incorporated some good ideas, and Maya's range of facial expressions helped to make it memorable, but not so much so that I feel any great need to own it right away.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:
Spoilers for So Ra No Wo To for anyone who hasn't seen it. That backstory stuff actually comes through as a slow drip. It would be crazy amazing if that bit could be marked as spoilers or something. It's hard enough as it is to convince people to watch it without spoilers abounding.

It won't be because that fact the Sound of the Sky is a post-apocalyptic tale (or at the very least a post-long-period-of-warfare tale) is abundantly clear from the first couple of episodes.

fireaxe wrote:
Just throwing my two cents on the issue here: commenting on the content of the package is one thing (i.e. dub quality), but statements like "Not dubbed" could be arbitrarily applied to any review of a sub-only show, which I think is the problem here.

And your point is. . .? While you're right that it could be so applied, I don't see why that's a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

That's my feelings about it, too. The review's title is "sub[titled] blu-ray". Having "no dub" listed is like popping open Motor Trend, reading a review of the latest SUV, and having the author complain that it "completely fails as a performance sedan."
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
And there's a feedback forum if you want to discuss the relevance of a dubs presence in a review of a product. You want to go on a warpath for ANN to omit information that is relevant to some just because you've chosen it to be irrelevant to yourself then take it there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3