• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stu Levy: Hetalia Volumes 4, 5 to Get N. American Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
20:03:22 <bay> there are Film and TV projects in development
20:03:29 <bay> a lot of the OEL, some of these are in development to turn into TV
20:03:36 <bay> we'll see if they get made, you know how hollywood is
20:03:44 <bay> whether they get made or not you'll see
20:03:52 <bay> web video.. is something we're looking at doing more of...
20:04:00 <bay> how many of you like video series on the web
20:04:04 <bay> and then accessories
20:04:12 <bay> we're thinking about doing a bunch of tshirts...and stuff

Oh God why. I thought Stu Levy would've changed since he managed to single-handedly kill his own company, but his plans for the future are the exact same as what he's already been doing.

I want Tokyopop to make a comeback for the sake of Future Diary, but that's the only reason.
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't give this guy a dime. He's ruined so many beloved series, I don't even know where to start. Not thanks.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
It would sure be nice if they could finish releasing the manga i bought, like Gundam Ecole du Ciel, Full metal Panic nocels, Atelier Marie, GetBackers, Peacemaker, Fate/Stay Night to name a few off the top of my head. FMP especially. We only got up to where the anime and OVAs ended.
Maybe I'll be lucky and one day see Kadokawa, Yen, Kodansha, or Dark Horse annonce something on those...
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote

Hitler is informed of the Tokyopop shutdown ending the Hetalia manga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyNzoN9G_Y

Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Hitler is informed of the Tokyopop shutdown ending the Hetalia manga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qyNzoN9G_Y

This shit hasn't been funny since it started.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I bet that "Hitler is informed that Hitler being informed is a meme" is/would be hilarious.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
overlordrae wrote:
I guess this means pretty definitively that none of the OEL creators ever got the rights to their stories back?

Honestly, I know of no OEL creator worth their salt that would be willing to work with TP if they do try to get back in the game. They can do a kickstarter just as easily as TP. And at this point, a greater chance of being able to finish their series.

Why work with Tokyopop or any other publishing house when you can just cut out the middleman and self-publish online?

And let's not forget the massive mistake known as Cinemanga. Stu Levy still has yet to apologize for foisting that abomination upon an unsuspecting public!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And let's not forget the massive mistake known as Cinemanga. Stu Levy still has yet to apologize for foisting that abomination upon an unsuspecting public!

I just looked that up, and Wikipedia says that that was a Japanese invention first...so you really can't blame Stu for that.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

I just looked that up, and Wikipedia says that that was a Japanese invention first...so you really can't blame Stu for that.

Yup. You can still find cinemanga for Legend of the Galactic Heroes on Ebay. It's been around for a while.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
you can still find ALOT of TP books on ebay, they really saturated the market with pap, its like they put no thought at all into marketing. I like that they took risks on stuff and they weilded great variety but in the end it just meant they must have been losing money hand over fist.

I mean they didn't have "the fear" that other publishers have wich is both detestable and admirable.

Like i say im kida torn on em coming back, they lacked quality but having more manga available cant be a terrible thing. If they do get back into publishing manga i hope they A) try to save some of their unfinished titles (because i really liked back and having 8 volumes sat there really yanks mah short hairs) and B) stop trying to be this all faceted multimedia empire and just focus on being good at manga.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Nothing on Future Diary, Deadman Wonderland, Ratman, Samurai Harem, Stigmata Qwaser, etc? Darn...

Indeed.

Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled for all the Hetalia manga fans out there. This is always great news; that said, there're other titles I'm more interested in personally.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I may purchase the Hetalia books because I love the series so much...

But I inwardly cringe every time I hear Levy's name. Putting aside his other mistakes/atrocities, this is the same guy who made a happy Twitter statement about getting out of the 'outdated' book publishing business when TP closed.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
I dislike Stu Levy and Tokyopop, but...I love Hetalia more, which is saying something.

I already bought Volume 3 so I guess I'll get 4 & 5 as well...even if I'm not a fan of the overall quality of it. (3 was slightly better than 1 & 2, but still)
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Like i say im kida torn on em coming back, they lacked quality but having more manga available can't be a terrible thing. If they do get back into publishing manga i hope they A) try to save some of their unfinished titles (because i really liked back and having 8 volumes sat there really yanks mah short hairs) and B) stop trying to be this all faceted multimedia empire and just focus on being good at manga.

I think that would be difficult even if they wanted to. All licenses reverted back to the original rightholders last year. Tokyopop would have to re-aquire them and I doubt many Japanese publishers would be happy to cooperate. Why would they? Tokyopop screwed up in a big, big way, causing a lot of trouble for fans, artists and other publishers alike.
Betenoire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Quote:
20:03:22 <bay> there are Film and TV projects in development
20:03:29 <bay> a lot of the OEL, some of these are in development to turn into TV
20:03:36 <bay> we'll see if they get made, you know how hollywood is
20:03:44 <bay> whether they get made or not you'll see
20:03:52 <bay> web video.. is something we're looking at doing more of...
20:04:00 <bay> how many of you like video series on the web
20:04:04 <bay> and then accessories
20:04:12 <bay> we're thinking about doing a bunch of tshirts...and stuff

Oh God why. I thought Stu Levy would've changed since he managed to single-handedly kill his own company, but his plans for the future are the exact same as what he's already been doing.

I want Tokyopop to make a comeback for the sake of Future Diary, but that's the only reason.

But but, America's greatest (biggest?) Otaku. And the Priest movie, come on who doesn't want to see more of that?/

Sarcasm aside I think what I read somewhere (or maybe not), maybe from an ex-TP staffer, was that Stu was great with ideas but lousy with follow through and that seems to sum him up. Now suddenly he has discovered that his big breakthrough into "bigger stardom outside manga" flamed and he is scrambling to get what he lost back...though let's face it, even if he did this scorpion would still sting the frog of fandom again as it is his nature.

He just can't help himself as he thinks his next thing will be the biggest ever. I still recall sitting at an ACen where someone from TP, maybe him, was going on about how thanks to the Fast and the Furious (the movie that is) was going to make it possible for Initial D to explode and to that end they had all sorts of grandiose schemes about getting some of the biggest pop stars of the day (Brittany Spears pre meltdown and whatever boy band was hot at the time, Backstreet Boys maybe? among others) to rerecord all the music and make the series a major event. And I think everyone here knows just how well that plan worked.

I just see this as more of the same- him coming back to replenish the ego that was bruised when the fame he was chasing eluded him and now he needs to have his ego soothed (and possibly his pocket book replenished) before he goes tilting at the windmills of greater fame once again. To some extent that drive is what brought about TP in the first place but sadly it also lead to the companies downfall as Stu just couldn't be bothered anymore as he was chasing something else .

I'll be honest and say while I may pick up titles from TRSI that Stu has a hand in (Hetalia is a series I enjoyed in the anime form but didn't love) I can't see myself now or ever giving him the chance to try to sting again and I don't know how many will give him a second chance either (and those stupid tweets about wanting to be done with publishing are going to serve as a well earned albatross around his neck).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4