• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cosplay ideas for couples.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicodareus25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Just curious on what you guys/gals have cosplayed as with your significant other? Or if you're currently single like me, what your dream couples cosplay is when you find that awesome otaku who might have ideas of her/his own! Oh the possibilities xD!

As for me i'd love to do either:
Lawrence/Horo (Spice and Wolf)
Dante/Trish (Devil May Cry)

I'd be the male role, obviously.

Last edited by Nicodareus25 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Nicodareus25 wrote:
Just curious on what you guys/gals have cosplayed as with your significant other? Or if you're currently single like me, what your dream couple cosplay is when you find that awesome otaku who might have ideas of her/his own! Oh the possibilities xD!

Erm, there are countless couples in anime, so having nothing but a long list of anime couples is just pointless. How about writing down reasons of why you picked those couples?

Nicodareus25 wrote:
I'd be the male role, obviously.

Crossplay (i.e. cross-dressing cosplay) can be very dramatic and attractive if you play it correctly. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nicodareus25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Crossplay (i.e. cross-dressing cosplay) can be very dramatic and attractive if you play it correctly. Wink

Yeah, but the world doesn't need anymore 300lb male sailor moons. Leave cross-play to the female links and deviant art accounts imo.

As for why i chose lawrence/horo; i fell in love with that anime, and their complex stubborn relationship. It's definitely my favorite anime of all time, so i'd love to pay tribute to it. There's also the bonus of having a super cute con date to make all the other neko/kitsune fans jealous! xD

As for dante/trish. It's like the most badass/sexy couple there is; haha. Well, I don't really have a good reason for the second choice, just thought it would be fun running around a con shouting "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIIGHT!" ;D Not really, but you know there's one fan out there who will request it, and then put it on youtube. xD
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Nicodareus25 wrote:
Yeah, but the world doesn't need anymore 300lb male sailor moons.

I said "correctly," didn't I? Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
My boyfriend and I plan on doing Team Rocket at some point, cause we think it would be funny and quite easy to do. We just need someone to be Meowth, as my teeny tiny friend refuses to Razz
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
I've done Tengaar and Hix from Suikoden I, Sarah and Luc from Suikoden III, and Blanc Neige and Xero from Shining Tears x Wind, before. With another friend, I've also done Roy, Riza, and Hughes from FMA.

Another option, too, is to cosplay as good friends, regardless of gender. Depending on the demographic of the convention, however, you may run into the problem of ending up as yaoi bait. My then-boyfriend and I went as Luke and Guy from Tales of the Abyss, and it could very easily have turned into yaoi fangirls trying to get us to "act out" for them.

There's also the idea of doing less-traditional pairings, such as hero/heroine and villain, or a protagonist and "other". Examples of the latter would be an amazing Sakura/Yue pair I saw, from Cardcaptor Sakura, or a character from Persona and their corresponding Persona. Another option for that could be a Shinigami from Bleach, and their Zanpakto's "Spirit Beast" (or whatever it's called in the Japanese version, I only have it on for background noise).

Another idea, would be two versions of the same character. The aforementioned Luke from ToA could give long-haired and short-haired (preferably with the same outfit), or a Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/other Tokusatsu character in their transformed and not-transformed states. However, unless it's a drastically different appearance (such as the Tokusatsu henshin/civilian example), people might not realize that it's supposed to be a pair. If you go for this route, I'd try for two distinctly different appearances, which are both highly recognizable. Characters that are seen to be conflicted in their desires (personal life vs. duty, for example) also work well here (like in the first opening of Sailormoon, where you see Moon and Usagi back to back).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Although this isn't really an anime-specific thread, it didn't fit in the Events forum, either, so I moved it here since nearly all of the discussion so far seems to be about anime pairings.

I think that doing a Lawrence/Holo pairing from Spice and Wolf would be a wonderful thing to see at a 'con. Of the two best cosplay couples that I've actually seen in my limited con-going experience, the non-anime example was Mal and Inari from Firefly (and that one was so well-done that they were being interviewed by a TV station when I saw them) and the anime example was a crossplay of Kaname and Sousuke from FMP that you had to look twice to see that they had, indeed, switched the genders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
My ex-boy and I cosplayed Hideo Kuze and the Major (respectively) from GitS: SAC 2nd GIG at his first con, about two weeks before we broke up. It was actually kind of funny, because our relationship ended basically the same way I imagine a relationship between the characters might have ended (at least emotionally, and if the plot hadn't actually happened.) We're good friends now, though - he wore Kuze to the last con we both attended (I'm always the Major) and we hung out for a bit and got some pictures.

I'm still looking for a Batou >.>

Another couple I've always wanted to cosplay with someone is Roy and Riza from Fullmetal Alchemist. I was actually talking about doing this one with a girl I liked (with her as Roy; we met through a roleplaying group in which he was her character and Riza was mine), but unfortunately it never panned out.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Tuxedo and Usagi got married. No kidding.

I know Star Trek-themed wedding is available in US for many years. I wonder how long does it take to have an anime cosplay wedding in US or other Western nations. I'd be glad to write a report and take photos for ANN. Wink
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I am currently in the process of trying to convince my twin friends (both male) to cosplay as Princess Bubblegum and Prince Gumball (one of them has Bubblegum long hair after all, though the idea of him actually cosplaying Bubblegum kinda freaks me out). But thanks to that gender flip episode, it's entirely possible for either person to be the royalty and the other to be the hero. I would love to see a male and female twin who look kinda similar do either Bubblegum and Gumball or Finn and Fionna.

I tend to come up with some weird ideas on some of these. For example, any giving shipping pair on Avatar: TLA or LoK.

But for comedy romantic couples, I do have the fairly normal idea of Isaac and Miria from Baccano!, they've even got a variety of outfits if you simply must have a new one each day!

One time at Otakon, I saw someone went as Gurren, I think it could be amazing to see a Gurren and Lagann couple, particularly if the guy were Gurren and had the girl as Lagann sitting on his shoulders.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1