• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Takehiko Inoue plagiarism?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
After a convincing plagiaristic report of the manga Flower of Eden. It seems Takehiko Inoue himself has been plagiarising the photos of NBA players.

This has sparked a montrous thread in japanese forums where nearly over thousand posts were made in one night, at a single forum site.

Japanese people who are protecting Takehiko Inoue say that, Takehiko Inoue himself admitted that he will be relying on NBA as critical resource.

However, according to law concerning copyright of photographs. One cannot intentionally copy the photos of another person without proper permission or any kind of contract, sponsor, or license.

As the manga Slam Dunk still sells in printed format, it will be a question to wait and see what will happen, although it is most unlikely that any original photographers, especially being American and not really aware of the manga industry would ever notice this.

Now...for my opinion.

I think this is quite a shame for Takehiko Sensei.

I still am a great fan of his works and respect his ability to create an august storyline, however I myself who plan to go into the field of manga industry cannot hold back the feeling of betrayal.

Alot of Manga artists, korean and japanese alike have had tremendous respect towards the abilities of Takehiko Sensei.

His work Slam Dunk especially has been a great influence for many artists. Who mostly admired his ability to create great composition and details in the mangas he drew.

Now, to find out that an abundant amount of scenes within his work Slam Dunk are just exact copies of photos taken by other artists, which he never even had the permission to copyright of is dissappointing.

I cannot picture myself to think that Takehiko Sensei with knowledge of what plagiarism is, intentionally copied these photos without the consent of those photographers who took them.

I am certain, he has lost his respect in the eyes of many manga artists. Because now it is evident that Takehiko sensei, no matter how he tries to make an excuse by saying he was making a "reference". He was merely copying them with tracing paper.

I really have no interest in the legal issues ha may have to handle in his upcoming days.
I am more concerned with those new and old mangakas, korean and japanese, who have had so much respect for Takehiko Inoue sensei's ability. Only to know now that he has been plagiarising.

I am truly hurt for myself, and others who have always admired Takehiko Sensei. For all the respect he had been given by those who repsect him, he has given dissapointed to those who may have looked up to him as an influence.

Legal issues only require court dates, fines, and loss of respect from those who may only ever notice himif he ever comes live on TV.

But leaving such dissapointment in those who admired him. That's quite a pity.

darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Seem to me like Takehiko Inoue is just using it as reference since there isn't a whole lot of basketball in Japan when Slam Dunk was being release. And beside, it's not like a lot of the movement/dribbling/shooting are all that unique.

And if you're gonna make try to make an accuratable basketball manga, you're gonna need to get reference/model from somewhere. Many mangaka in japan has use picture as reference all the time. If you think about it, the mangaka for Flow of Eden had intention of ripping off Slam Dunk, panal by panal. Is she a fan of bball or just putting it in the story?

Quote:
I am certain, he has lost his respect in the eyes of many manga artists. Because now it is evident that Takehiko sensei, no matter how he tries to make an excuse by saying he was making a "reference". He was merely copying them with tracing paper.

I'm doubtful that takehiko put a piece of paper over the picture and trace it. Remember, mangaka are artist, they can see a pose and draw it exactly the same way as they see it. Takehike Inoue is a fan of basketball (he created 3 bball title), if anything, the picture are just reference/inspiration to make the manga more realistic. He only use a few picture as reference point. If he had copy footage to footage, movement to movement, from the same game, than that's a total rip-off (like the mangaka for Flow of Eden, doing panal for panal).

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting stuff. While I am dissapointed in Takehiko Sensei, my respect for him probably won't lessen because of this. Are those shots the only ones we've seen that are traced? I'm just asking because you say that an "abundant" amount of scenes were plagiarised and if those are the only ones, well then it's basically 5 panels in a 31 volume manga, not that it makes it any less wrong. Also his talents certaintly shouldn't be disregarded just because he traced some shots. The man can draw and I only have to look at Vagabond to confirm that. Maybe it was possibly due to the rigorous work schedule he had with Jump for Slam Dunk that made him have to cut a few corners here and there.
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Seem to me like Takehiko is just using it as reference since there isn't a whole lot of basketball in Japan when Slam Dunk was being release. If you know anything about bball, a lot of the movement are the same.

And if you're gonna make try to make an accuratable basketball manga, you're gonna need to get reference/model from somewhere. Many mangaka in japan has use picture as reference all the time.

Quote:

I'm doubtful that takehiko put a piece of paper over the picture and trace it. Remember, mangaka are artist, they can see a pose and draw it exactly the same way as they see it. If anything, the picture are just reference to make the manga more realistic. He only use a few picture as reference point. If he had copy footage to footage, movement to movement, from the same game, than that's a total rip-off (like the mangaka for Flow of Eden, doing panal for panal).

Look at some of those shots, some of them even have the background characters ripped straight out of the source like the referee in the 4th pic. These aren't "refences", look at the hands in most of the pics, all angled and positioned exactly the same way. Even if basketball is a game where players are told to do specific movements in certain ways, there still shouldn't have to be a mirror effect I'm seeing in those examples. Those are clearly traced.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Seem to me like Takehiko is just using it as reference since there isn't a whole lot of basketball in Japan when Slam Dunk was being release. If you know anything about bball, a lot of the movement are the same.

And if you're gonna make try to make an accuratable basketball manga, you're gonna need to get reference/model from somewhere. Many mangaka in japan has use picture as reference all the time.

Quote:

I'm doubtful that takehiko put a piece of paper over the picture and trace it. Remember, mangaka are artist, they can see a pose and draw it exactly the same way as they see it. If anything, the picture are just reference to make the manga more realistic. He only use a few picture as reference point. If he had copy footage to footage, movement to movement, from the same game, than that's a total rip-off (like the mangaka for Flow of Eden, doing panal for panal).

Look at some of those shots, some of them even have the background characters ripped straight out of the source like the referee in the 4th pic. These aren't "refences", look at the hands in most of the pics, all angled and positioned exactly the same way. Even if basketball is a game where players are told to do specific movements in certain ways, there still shouldn't have to be a mirror effect I'm seeing in those examples. Those are clearly traced.

What I mean is he's using the post of character position as a reference and didn't put a piece of paper over the image and trace it angel for angel, because the model it self is offsize. Look at the 4th picture. The guy with the ball, his leg if offangel from the picture. Also his structure and statue is smaller than the one in the pic. I'm not saying he didn't use the picture for reference because he obviously had the picture in front of him when he was doing the panel, but how else are you gonna make a basketball manga if there isn't a whole lot of bball in japan to use as reference? He probably got a bunch of basketball cards back in the 90's.
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
milcor1 wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

Quote:

What I mean is he's using the post of character position as a reference and didn't put a piece of paper over the image and trace it angel for angel, because the model it self is offsize. Look at the 4th picture. The guy with the ball, his leg if offangel from the picture. Also his structure and statue is smaller than the one in the pic. I'm not saying he didn't use the picture for reference because he obviously had the picture in front of him when he was doing the panel, but how else are you gonna make a basketball manga if there isn't a whole lot of bball in japan to use as reference? He probably got a bunch of basketball cards.

Of course he didn't put a piece of paper over the image. I think that would be even less effective than looking at it and copying it because he knows his human anatomy etc, he wouldn't need to do that. What I'm saying is that even though he might be trying to reference a position there is no need for the characters to be facing the same way as the source pic. What do you mean there's not a whole lot of BBall in Japan? High schools play basketball, there are playground hoops in Japan, cable networks that show the NBA, etc etc. If you've read Real, you know that basketball is alive and well in Japan, and he created that manga too. There being not a whole lot of basketball in Japan is totally preposterous.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't litterally mean he put a tracing paper over it LOL...that was just an expression.

But as far as copying images goes.

It's quite a dissappointment for me.

Because I always respected his accuracy and composition in his mangas.

To know they were copyed makes that alittle sad.

Most people who draw can copy easily.

I'm not sure if you know this or not.

But most manga artists can easily replicate another's work.

It's really the creativity part in arts & crafts that are extremely difficult to come up with.

Especially with the growing manga industry, it's even hard to make your own character designs nowadays, due to the commoness of so many styles. Such as Moe.

I still admire him...Vagabond is amazing.

But, it's really the dissappointment on the part that he copyed them, and they weren't his ideas.

As far as arts go. Copying is pretty simple.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
how else are you gonna make a basketball manga if there isn't a whole lot of bball in japan to use as reference?

Yusuke Murata seems to be doing just fine with Eyeshield 21, unless he's also guilty of plagerism.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
There are tons dude...there's more in my comp...let me upload a few more.

more and more...people keep finding them...first people to find them were from this site
www.jps.gr.jp

And it's not "reference".

The article says the japanese photographic copyright law commity said that copy the photos of another's without their consent is illegal.

But they also say, there isn't any legal issues being handled yet.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see if Shueisha pulls Slam Dunk from the shelves or even all of Takehiko Sensei's creations. Wow, scary thought.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I really don't think anything legal would happen...just that Takehiko Inoue's reputition may fade alittle...
just a tiny-winy bit.

By the way...is Eyeshield21 doing the same thing?

Hum...never noticed...then again, those people who find stuff like this really have nothing on their hands, if they have this much time.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that'll happen...He may just wind up paying a certain percentage of all his profits through the number of Slam Dunk books sold.

Other than that, he might end up paying fines?

Come on it's plagiarism, not murder.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:

Of course he didn't put a piece of paper over the image. I think that would be even less effective than looking at it and copying it because he knows his human anatomy etc, he wouldn't need to do that. What I'm saying is that even though he might be trying to reference a position there is no need for the characters to be facing the same way as the source pic. What do you mean there's not a whole lot of BBall in Japan? High schools play basketball, there are playground hoops in Japan, cable networks that show the NBA, etc etc. If you've read Real, you know that basketball is alive and well in Japan, and he created that manga too. There being not a whole lot of basketball in Japan is totally preposterous.

Takehiko said in the slam dunk manga, that basketball wasn't popular in japan during the time he created Slam Dunk. Also you won't find professional bball teams or college bball like we have here in the U.S, that's why BBALL isn't as big in japan as it is here in the U.S. Also in on Takehiko's site, there was a special event that promote bball. Sure there was basketball at high school (I'm not even sure if the student know how to play it well) and nba on "cable" tv, but unless you have actual poses to use as reference, you're not gonna make a good bball manga. Imagine yourself trying to draw a kendo manga. Sure they might offer Kendo at your high school or you can watch japanese kendo tournament on "cable" if you have it, but I'm sure you want to use picture as reference to make authentic kendo manga.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
milcor1 wrote:

Takehiko said in the slam dunk manga, that basketball wasn't popular in japan during the time he created Slam Dunk. Also you won't find professional bball teams or college bball like we have here in the U.S, that's why BBALL isn't as big in japan as it is here in the U.S. Also in on Takehiko's site, there was a special event that promote bball. Sure there was basketball at high school (I'm not even sure if the student know how to play it well) and nba on "cable" tv, but unless you have actual poses to use as reference, you're not gonna make a good bball manga. Imagine yourself trying to draw a kendo manga. Sure they might offer Kendo at your high school or you can watch japanese kendo tournament on "cable" if you have it, but I'm sure you want to use picture as reference to make authentic kendo manga.

The thing is...it really doesn't matter if it's plagiarism or reference.

The law goes against his work and he's got the law to deal with soon...which really sux for him.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if Shueisha pulls Slam Dunk from the shelves or even all of Takehiko Sensei's creations. Wow, scary thought.

I really hope they don't. Slam Dunk is one of the titles I want to read the most. Since the anime fell through, I really hope the manga doesn't as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2