• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Copyright Legislation Moves Forward in Canada, Stalls in Europe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Europe disapproves given the vast amount of DVD imports and that Europe remains R2 while US is R1. Does the governments not realize that not everyone has shifted to blu-ray yet?

And people sometimes wonder why the global economy is slowing down...if you prevent certain trades/imports/exports, it almost always hurts the economy not help it. There's almost always a buyer on the other side.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

You might get 1 or 2 games a year that actually caters to something I want, and not a mass deluge of crappy cover shooters starring some bald meathead with no personality.

Which is 1 or 2 games more than you might otherwise get.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You will make more money selling a crappy cover shooter than you will make selling a really good SRPG.

This statment kinda shows that you know jack-shit about FPS.

F*ck man, what's with the hate on FPSs in this forum, shit's goddamn ridiculous :/
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
This year? Xenoblade, and Last Story, I could care less for things like Halo 4
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
And I could care less for Halo 4 either, the only FPS I play is Battlfield 3, but still man.

I never got why people feel the need to religiously stick to one genre. I play anything that's good.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Europe's got enough on its collective plates at present to be dealing with such low level concerns like copyrights. If it fails then welcome to the Great Depression of the 21st. Century.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
go jump off a high tower.

when i BUY a DVD I will do what i want with it as long as i am not handing it out again!

this is called owner ship!

meaning i freaking own the thing and will do with it what i want!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:

when i BUY a DVD I will do what i want with it as long as i am not handing it out again!

They should worry less about people who bypass protection just to make backup copies and worry more about people who mass-share it to everyone.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
V1046-R wrote:
Sorrior wrote:
You ask me politicians need to get it through there head that times have changed and these laws serve no real purpose.

Other than that the creators of such thing need to realize that if they just make a QUALITY product then people will pay. Hell i know a few guys whos very first anime purchase was the Fate blu ray. Yeah the 300 dollar one simply cause they liked it so much. So instead of churning out roughly the same movie every year try and make quality products and THEN people will buy it.

If you don't think something is good quality, why would you even want to watch it in the first place, let alone own a copy of it? No doubt that many people disagree with your opinion, because people do buy entertainment, and those are the ones supporting the industry.

As for government protecting the interests of business over those that want to copy, that is how it should be. An industrialized society favors the producers, not the freeloaders.

It needs to go both-ways but on equal ground. I am a a consumer of media and buy movies, books, cd's, games that I like all the time. As the consumer I'm supporting those producing the product keeping them in business because they have something I want.

Now here comes the tricky part, the industry needs to stop treating it's paying customers like shit, believe it or not with out us your industry will fade if choose not buy anymore. Forcing more and more contract binding laws to tell us what we can't do with something we legally purchased is bull.

If I choose to rip a cd/dvd or even a psp-umd I am doing it solely to have a backup in case something happens to that physical copy. Buying entertainment is an investment and I don't want to come short sided because some dick scratched my CD all to hell or lost my psp game. I am not buying something again that i already payed my hard earned money for, I realize that's a sense of entitlement however it's just the way I think.

I could go on for hours covering this issue but what is the point, this is where i stand, if you have any comments just throw me PM.

Buying entertainment should not be considered an investement. Investing in a depreciating asset is foolish.

But just so you know, I am not against personal backup copying. But I see the other side that the challenge for businesses that sell entertainment is a lot of their customer base create an adversarial relationship by not keeping these copies from getting out & distributed to the masses.

There are good & bad businesses. There are also good and bad customers. Often in these discussions on forums people paint the picture they are some kind of saintly victim, and business are evil devils. And the people that never even buy anything, yet complain should just go away & shut up, because their voice doesn't matter on this seller/buyer relationship issue.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
V1046-R wrote:

Investing in a depreciating asset is foolish.

Do you really think he meant to use this term in this way? He's obviously not planning on making money on it down the road.

V1046-R wrote:

a lot of their customer base create an adversarial relationship by not keeping these copies from getting out & distributed to the masses.

If I open a restaurant next door to another restaurant is that "adversarial"? What does this term even mean to you?

V1046-R wrote:

There are good & bad businesses. There are also good and bad customers

Good and bad are very broad terms, can you define what you mean by them in this context?

V1046-R wrote:

Often in these discussions on forums people paint the picture they are some kind of saintly victim, and business are evil devils.

I'm not anti-business, but I am pro-consumer. There are lots of bad laws that affect businesses, various forms of regulations designed to "protect" consumers that don't and that really just take away choices, whether it be to own an incandescent lightbulb or a decent shower head with higher than the regulated level of CFM. There are also drug laws that outlaw whole categories of things people want to buy and lead to gangs and violent cartels and fund terrorism.

Copyright is an infringement on the rights of other people to do what they want with their own property.

V1046-R wrote:

And the people that never even buy anything, yet complain should just go away & shut up, because their voice doesn't matter on this seller/buyer relationship issue.

I do buy a lot of anime/media/etc. so I guess I'm ok by your metric here but I think this is really wrong. People have a right to complain insofar as they are their own person. You may want to complain about them complaining, but their voice matters every bit as much as yours does. Even if they aren't buyers and sellers in this case, who is to say they could never be? People ultimately make these decisions based on their own subjective values. I don't complain about the people who watch TV and never buy a show (and yes, this is legal, but if you don't actually buy anything advertised and/or aren't counted in the ratings do you really matter at an individual level?)
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If I choose to rip a cd/dvd or even a psp-umd I am doing it solely to have a backup in case something happens to that physical copy.

And as long as it is bit-for-bit, you are fine (unless you ask the studios.) If your archival process involves stripping the protection, however, then it is a separate issue.
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Does the governments not realize that not everyone has shifted to blu-ray yet?

Whether you are bypassing CSS, the encryption used on BDs, or whatever DRM is utilized by your digital copy of choice, it will be just as against the law.
Catseyetiger wrote:
this is called owner ship!

meaning i freaking own the thing and will do with it what i want!

Yes, you do. Too bad you do not own the content on the disc, and that distinction is a critical point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2