• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece and Mew Mew Power canceled?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Freakin' sweet.

http://wvah.com/schedule/

I thought it was just a one week thing at first (when I heard about it) but according to that page, it looks like they're getting the axe...

In any case I'm happy Anime smile Good place to stop One Piece too, the Drum arc just finished yesterday.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Freakin' sweet.

I thought it was just a one week thing at first (when I heard about it) but according to that page, it looks like they're getting the axe...

In any case I'm happy Anime smile Good place to stop One Piece too, the Drum arc just finished yesterday.

The ball has been dropped, rolled around, and exploded. Good riddance to bad rubbish Smile
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
If its really true that they've been canceled, then that's great news. 4kids getting what they deserve. Sweet.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
If its really true that they've been canceled, then that's great news. 4kids getting what they deserve. Sweet.
Thing is, though, that 4Kids owns the block and can pretty much do whatever they want with it (apart from breaking FCC laws), so this a decision by them.

And they made it well =)
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Just because Mew Mew Power and One Piece aren't on the schedule for the next couple of Saturdays doesn't mean that they've been dropped for sure. 4kids temporarily dropped Shaman King during the summer reruns to air extra episodes of Winx Club, but then they brought it back for the new episodes, so until a formal announcement has been made, I'm not going to get my hopes up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

and 4kids owns the rights, so you'lll never see them in any form again, unless you import.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
and 4kids owns the rights, so you'lll never see them in any form again, unless you import.

I think by this point, most One Piece fans would rather the show be put in licensing hell for the rest of eternity than be stuck with this crap.

[quote=Kouji]Just because Mew Mew Power and One Piece aren't on the schedule for the next couple of Saturdays doesn't mean that they've been dropped for sure. 4kids temporarily dropped Shaman King during the summer reruns to air extra episodes of Winx Club, but then they brought it back for the new episodes, so until a formal announcement has been made, I'm not going to get my hopes up.[/quote]
But the thing is, there were actually more episodes of One Piece scheduled. Then the ratings dipped severely and presto, One Piece leaves. Not to mention that it's always pretty much been a time bomb waiting to explode.

Also, Mew Mew Power got good ratings, but they're dropping it now for some reason... I think it may have something to do with the fact that there's not even any merchandise planned for the show.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, Mew Mew Power got good ratings, but they're dropping it now for some reason... I think it may have something to do with the fact that there's not even any merchandise planned for the show.

Yeah. With just about any kids show, a merchandise deal is needed to ensure the survival of the series. That's why Static Shock had to go down. Crying or Very sad It will remain in our hearts, and in Justice League reference episodes.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Freakin' sweet.

Hmm...is this a regional thing? They're both still on the programing block for the FOX stations in Dayton, Ohio and Cincinnati, Ohio at 8:30 and 11:30 respectively.

Unless their sites haven't been updated...
Meson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
One Piece isn't canceled. Cartoon Network has yet to remove the series, and I doubt CN nor 4Kids want to kill what they have going there.

Mew Mew? I have no idea. Maybe it will come to Miguzi or something. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
v1cious wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

I think by this point, most One Piece fans would rather the show be put in licensing hell for the rest of eternity than be stuck with this crap.

I'm not a One Piece fan. I just don't like 4kids in general for butchering anime, some of which I do like. I was hoping that it was the network's decision for booting off these shows. But apparently its not, so I could really care less about it now.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
i hope someday some miracles will happen and the ideals and beliefs of 4kids will change and be forever in peace with the fans.... yeah right
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
Meson wrote:
One Piece isn't canceled. Cartoon Network has yet to remove the series, and I doubt CN nor 4Kids want to kill what they have going there.

Mew Mew? I have no idea. Maybe it will come to Miguzi or something. :/

If One Piece and Mew Mew Power are being pulled from the non-cable lineups, even on a regional basis, then it's fairly obvious that the shows aren't doing as well as 4Kids would have hoped.

Sure, Cartoon Network is a fairly popular channel, but it is also a cable channel. 4Kids has been targeting the Saturday morning cartoon block of viewers with both of these shows, and that means the shows really do need to air on the non-cable networks.

IMO, 4Kids made a bit of a mistake when licensing both of these series, and that seems to be bearing fruit now with low ratings and a lack of true merchandising capability.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
v1cious wrote:

[quote=Kouji]Just because Mew Mew Power and One Piece aren't on the schedule for the next couple of Saturdays doesn't mean that they've been dropped for sure. 4kids temporarily dropped Shaman King during the summer reruns to air extra episodes of Winx Club, but then they brought it back for the new episodes, so until a formal announcement has been made, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

But the thing is, there were actually more episodes of One Piece scheduled. Then the ratings dipped severely and presto, One Piece leaves. Not to mention that it's always pretty much been a time bomb waiting to explode.

Also, Mew Mew Power got good ratings, but they're dropping it now for some reason... I think it may have something to do with the fact that there's not even any merchandise planned for the show.[/quote]What does any of that have to do with my post? The point that I'm trying to make is just because One Piece and Mew Mew Power aren't on the schedule for the next couple of weeks doesn't mean they've been dropped for good. It could also mean that they're being dropped TEMPORARILY because 4Kids has done it before. My post had nothing to do with ratings or 4Kids' merchandise, so why you brought that up, I have no idea. And if Mew Mew Power and One Piece are moving to Cartoon Network, that doesn't mean the shows themselves are doing bad. Saturday mornings in general are slowly dying since people are moving to cable TV more.

Fox has already canned their weekday afternoon block a long time ago and Kid's WB is planning on dropping their weekday afternoon block beginning next year. I wouldn't be surprised that all Saturday morning cartoons die within the next year or two whether they're on Fox, Kid's WB, or even ABC. And really, if One Piece and Mew Mew Power are moving to Cartoon Network, then it might help give them better ratings. It probably would have been benifited them more to air it on Cartoon Network from the start because more people, especially anime fans, seem to watch cartoons on Cartoon Network more than they do Saturday mornings, not to mention they would have more freedom to choose what time to air One Piece and Mew Mew Power on a 24 hour cartoon cable network than on a five hour Saturday morning block on a local network. Really, which time slots would you think a show like Mew Mew Power would do better in? Once a week at 8:30 a.m. when most people are still asleep or five days a week at 5:00 p.m. when kids are wide awake and ready to watch cartoons?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a quote problem here.

Kouji wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:
Kouji wrote:
Just because Mew Mew Power and One Piece aren't on the schedule for the next couple of Saturdays doesn't mean that they've been dropped for sure. 4kids temporarily dropped Shaman King during the summer reruns to air extra episodes of Winx Club, but then they brought it back for the new episodes, so until a formal announcement has been made, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

What does any of that have to do with my post? The point that I'm trying to make is just because One Piece and Mew Mew Power aren't on the schedule for the next couple of weeks doesn't mean they've been dropped for good. It could also mean that they're being dropped TEMPORARILY because 4Kids has done it before. My post had nothing to do with ratings or 4Kids' merchandise, so why you brought that up, I have no idea. And if Mew Mew Power and One Piece are moving to Cartoon Network, that doesn't mean the shows themselves are doing bad. Saturday mornings in general are slowly dying since people are moving to cable TV more.

Fox has already canned their weekday afternoon block a long time ago and Kid's WB is planning on dropping their weekday afternoon block beginning next year. I wouldn't be surprised that all Saturday morning cartoons die within the next year or two whether they're on Fox, Kid's WB, or even ABC. And really, if One Piece and Mew Mew Power are moving to Cartoon Network, then it might help give them better ratings. It probably would have been benifited them more to air it on Cartoon Network from the start because more people, especially anime fans, seem to watch cartoons on Cartoon Network more than they do Saturday mornings, not to mention they would have more freedom to choose what time to air One Piece and Mew Mew Power on a 24 hour cartoon cable network than on a five hour Saturday morning block on a local network. Really, which time slots would you think a show like Mew Mew Power would do better in? Once a week at 8:30 a.m. when most people are still asleep or five days a week at 5:00 p.m. when kids are wide awake and ready to watch cartoons?

There, fixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2