• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NGE EVA 01

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I was once again watching Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion with the commentary track on and they mentioned that EVA-01 is modeled after a babylonian god. I have looked online and I have found nothing. If you know the name of the god that EVA-01 is made after please tell me or if you have any insightful webistes also list them please. Also if the other EVAs are made after other babylonian gods or gods in general please give your insight.
RedComet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This is what I found with a quick search on Google.

http://www.geocities.com/reissoul/religion.html
imaginary_num6er

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I head somewhere, that the EVA-01 was also modeled as an oni (Japanese word for demon)
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
imaginary_num6er wrote:
I head somewhere, that the EVA-01 was also modeled as an oni (Japanese word for demon)

All of the Evas are based on demons in Babylonian myth, iirc.

You can check out WikiPedia's entry on Neon Genesis Evangelion for a lot more information on the Evas and their representations in myth and religion.
axion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Red Comet gave a great link, I've never seen a good religious interpretation/commentary on NGE /shameless self promotion/ outside of what I have compiled and written /end shameless self promotion/ Anime smile. I do not know much about the symbolism of the EVAs, however it is interesting to note that as there are 4 crown princes of hell - Satan, Belial, Lucifer, and Leviathan - but there are also (as far as I can tell, I am not a theologian or anything and there is very little information about this online) 4 seraphim (highest rank of angels). One thing I do now is that Unti-01 and the Mass Production Units form the Sephirothic System

http://www.derekanthony3.homestead.com/files/SephirothicTree.jpg
note: if you wish to find more pictures, google for "Sephirothic Tree" (the true title is irrelevant, unless you're a Kabalist/Gnostic)

The notion that a lot of the religious symbols relate to ancient Babylonian Paganism/Gnosticism/Cultism/Polytheism can be confusing. It is true and not true at the same time: Judeo-Christian symbols (Adam, Eve, Lillith, the Angels) are all taken from their older Babylonian sources and altered (usually in name only) to serve their new purpose. I don't think Anno intended us to interpret them as Babylonian symbols becuase he also makes use of completely Judeo-Christian concepts/images and far fewer people associate them with Babylon/ia than they do with Judaism/Christianity - it would shrink the audience even more. Anyway, the main source for most of the symbolism, in my opinion, is the Apocrypha (and Septuagint), mainly the Book of Enoch. The Book of Enoch, I'm told, is a grimoire of sorts. It contains spells/instructions/magic/ceremonies for invocation of angels. But anyway, the names for all of the Angels (except Kaoru) are taken from Enoch. Interesting note, Enoch, for those who read/believe his book, maintain that he is the only human that never died, rather he was simply allowed to walk into heaven. If you found any of this interesting I would be happy to expand on it, I try my best to keep posts at an appropriate length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the sephirothic tree what do the characters/sigmas mean inside the circles?
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
Speaking of the sephirothic tree what do the characters/sigmas mean inside the circles?

This should help out with the specifics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_life_%28Kabbalah%29

You can also look up the generic "Tree of Life" information for an overview of the Tree and its significance in all myths:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Life
axion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
[Please don't abuse smileys. -Nagi]

Below is a Sephirothic Tree (although the location of sphere #6 is too high) that I have numbered according to the Tree I posted a link to earlier:

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/2747/sephtreenumbered4zt.png

Here are the corresponding English titles of each sphere:

1)Crown
2)Intelligence/Spirit
3)Wisdom
4)Magnificence/Mercy
5)Fear
6)Grace
7)Honor/Glory
8)Victory
9)Foundation
10)Kingdom

The Sephirothic Tree is also broken down into 4 larger spheres or 'worlds':

http://www.psyche.com/psyche/images/tree/4worlds.gif

From top to bottom they are:
1)Atziluth - Nobility, aristocracy, nearness; Infinite
consciousness.
2)Briah - Creation, existence.
3)Yetzirah - Formation, structuation (feminine).
4)Assiah - Making; Material reality.

Note that #1 is 'Infinite Consciousness', sound familiar? its the same as Complementation; #4 is 'Material Reality' - physical and mental individuality.

Note that there are 4 worlds, just as there are 4 non-Mass-Production EVAs used.

Note that sphere #6 is 'Grace', this is the sphere that Unit-01 and Shinji are in during the formation of the cosmic Sephirothic tree with the Mass Production Units.

Something I have noticed about the Hebrew words in each sphere is that they are the same words, but slightly rotated in each circle.

Also, in the Sephirothic Tree, the area between spheres #1 and #6:

http://www.gnostickabbalah.com/Images/daath.gif

is very important to Kabalists/Gnostics, it is known as 'Daath' (or 'Higher Eden'), the Hebrew for 'Knowledge' and in turn, Gnosticism comes from the Greek 'Gnosis' which means 'Knowledge'.

I have found something else important concerning a connection between the Sephirothic Tree and Asuka and Shinji, but I need to consider it more before making a statement Anime smile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1