• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SAGging people

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
From good ol' wikipedia:
SAG and aliases
A voice actor may be occasionally credited under an alias. Sometimes producers aren't willing to spend the higher cost of hiring members of the Screen Actors Guild, which prohibits its members from taking non-union jobs; but a voice actor needs income, so he/she may take a job under a false name in an attempt to avoid the SAG's notice. If caught, SAG may respond with fines and suspended health coverage. So the actor has an obligation to do all he can to discourage people from linking his or her name with the alias.

Why don't those SAG people allow non-union jobs? And does anyone (besides me) personally find it annoying seeing the aliases a lot? PS, how do we know it's them? For instance, how do we know David Umansky is the alias of Derek Prince?
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't see how changing their names to hide who they are from SAG would work. It's pretty obvious to me that Kevin Hatcher (who plays the role of Kazuya Miyauchi in Koi Kaze) is Johnny Yong Bosch. It's the same thing with Steven Jay Blum using the pseudonym David Lucas (Cowboy Bebop), and Dorothy Elias-Fahn using Midge Mayes (The Twelve Kingdoms). These three voice artists are pretty easy to spot because their voices hardly ever change. I just really can't see how SAG would not be able to tell.

As for allowing non-union jobs, unions are there to protect the worker from their employers. SAG looks out for all of its employees, and, in recent articles that I have read about the big Hollywood studios hiding profit, SAG is needed to keep the studios from exploiting their workers. I'm totally pro-union and have a union job where my health benefits are among the best in the country. If a voice artist wants work that is not part of the union, then that's their choice (free country), but they'd better be ready to accept the consequences of their actions (free country). If they belong to SAG, then it is very likely that they have a contract with them stating that they cannot do non-union voice work. SAG is fighting for the artist's rights to be paid fairly for the work that they do.

Looking at American cartoons, I have never seen a voice artist go by a pseudonym. While in anime that happens all the time. I almost wonder if the non-union jobs are due to the Japanese. I may be wrong, but I think that most Japanese companies are still, in a sense, considered family instituions that "protect" their workers. No unions are needed. This type of instituion has been fading though and I know that unions are present in Japan, but to what extent I don't know.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
For instance, how do we know David Umansky is the alias of Derek Prince?

How did you know Derek Prince was David Umansky ? They give a list of alias on IMDB or in the ANN encyclopedia.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

How did you know Derek Prince was David Umansky ? They give a list of alias on IMDB or in the ANN encyclopedia.

Or you can just listen to the voice. I mean, who here doesn't know who "John Daniels" REALLY is?

spoiler["John Daniels" is really Beau Billingslea (Jet from Cowboy Bebop).]
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

Or you can just listen to the voice. I mean, who here doesn't know who "John Daniels" REALLY is?

spoiler["John Daniels" is really Beau Billingslea (Jet from Cowboy Bebop).]

Well I know of the voice you're talking about but never his name...I only know one "Daniels" and his first name is Jack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1