• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
HOW DO I START MY OWN ANIME DVD SALES WEBSITE?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
My friends and I had before asked you guys how to start our own Anime company and you guys gave use some good Ideas and one of those ideas were to start small and try to make money first. So one of the ways we'd like to start is a Online Anime Store catering to DVD's, Games, Manga, Comics, Magazines, appearal etc. But my question is how would we get this started? My Uncle has his own video store but that's a private business and isn't dealing with sales.

1. How would we get started?

2. Where would we get the titles?

3. What kind of things can you suggest?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
My friends and I had before asked you guys how to start our own Anime company and you guys gave use some good Ideas and one of those ideas were to start small and try to make money first. So one of the ways we'd like to start is a Online Anime Store catering to DVD's, Games, Manga, Comics, Magazines, appearal etc. But my question is how would we get this started? My Uncle has his own video store but that's a private business and isn't dealing with sales.

1. How would we get started?

2. Where would we get the titles?

3. What kind of things can you suggest?

Firstly, research the market that you intend to sell to. Figure out where customer loyalty lies, and what new things you could add the the market. Does everyone need another Anime store? What could you do to outdo your competition? Is there really room for another store like yours?

If you intend on importing, you need to make assessments on how much you'll need to mark up, in regards to overall profits and importation taxes. You'll need capital to buy stock, so you either need to pool your money or save up, or apply for a loan, in which case you'll need a business plan.

After that, you'll need to decide you method of sale. internet? B&M? Investigate those venues and see what you'll need to start up there.

A business, as you're probably aware of, wont work if you start it up just like *that*. I honestly suggest following the advice I've given you, because it'll probably help you out a lot.

As for getting titles, aaaanime.com is a distributor/wholesaler, as is Rightstuf.com. Japanese goods can be bought from places such as HLJ.com for wholesale, and whatever else, though you'l need to buy those kinds of things in shipment cases, and not nessecerally piece by piece.
Laruto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
You are always helpful with your replies and I thank you, But is there a easier way like getting the loan and the rights to sell? we have the ability to create our website and we already secured our company name but would we have to get a werehouse for the stuff or a small store?

By the way Some Of the things were going to do are things anime selling dvd sites don't do like sell comic Books and American based series stuff that are popular with anime fans, Theres other things too but I can't say.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
Well I don't think you'd need a right to sell anything, since as long as its something you paid for or obtained legally, it's your own perogative as to what the hell you do with it.

As for a loan, different banks will have different stnadards, fees, timeframes and reliability. I can't help you out there since I'm not a banker, so you might need to do a bit of research on what you want in that regard.

Chances are if you're starting out small, and wont have a huge ammount of stock, you won't be needing a warehouse, though it's aviseable you atleast have some space to keep your stuff (dry and out of the way, where it cane be kicked around or damaged).

Consider taking business classes, learn how to use things such as MYOB or Quicken in order to help you with tax and what not, things like that.

Generally, the reason most anime stores don't sell American stuff is well.. because they're anime stores? They are their own market. There's plenty of other places, such as Diamond, who already deal in American stuff, and it's by no means another stable market and I really can't see you bringing anything new to it. As said, research your market, and see if you would be able to fit it in somewhere, somehow. Take lessons and stuff. generally a business cannot be run as a fun venture because it demands quite a bit of time, especially as you would quite possibly be importing things and what not.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:20 am Reply with quote
I really don't see why you want to sell American stuff. I'd rather not see X-Men Ultimate Wolverine Adventures next to Naruto manga. Ugh.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
I really don't see why you want to sell American stuff. I'd rather not see X-Men Ultimate Wolverine Adventures next to Naruto manga. Ugh.

Probably to get the best of both worlds....Makes if I'm a costmer who knows what I want one thats anime and another that is american items I would appreciete it if both were in the same store it's a time saver that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention not everyone is insanely bias against anything non-japanese like Starwind. If people enjoy animation it doesn't always have to be anime, and those who enjoy comics may also enjoy manga. It's not as though they'll infect each other and be ruined by proximity, although Naruto could only benefit in that case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This article might be of interest for you. It was in last months archive here. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Not to mention not everyone is insanely bias against anything non-japanese like Starwind. If people enjoy animation it doesn't always have to be anime, and those who enjoy comics may also enjoy manga. It's not as though they'll infect each other and be ruined by proximity, although Naruto could only benefit in that case.

That's true, but generally you need to have definition in what you're selling and who you intend to sell it to, otherwise you'll end up stocking nothing that interests anyone, and never accumulate a large enough dedicated fanbase or whatever.

Also, for people such as Starwind, don't listen to them. While they may be extremely vocal they do not, and will never make up, the entire market share. don't ever feel pressured to do anything for only a handful of people if it means others are going to feel the heat for it.

[quoteI really don't see why you want to sell American stuff. I'd rather not see X-Men Ultimate Wolverine Adventures next to Naruto manga. Ugh.[/quote]

I'd rather not see you on this forum, but there isn't much that can be done about it.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's true, but generally you need to have definition in what you're selling and who you intend to sell it to, otherwise you'll end up stocking nothing that interests anyone, and never accumulate a large enough dedicated fanbase or whatever.

Normally, a small stores name takes care of that or should anyways. But if I were to have a store name mixed with american and anime I guess I would call it something that has the words American and Japanese in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Stores can be successful with both American comics and anime, but it really depends on your market. The stores I've seen that do this are all physical stores that you go to, rather than websites. The one in the town my university is in, called Fundy Hobbyton, has actually done very well, moving locations 3 times in their first year of business, each time getting more and more room (it is currently run out of one of the movie rental stores).

But that is a physical store and thus it's main market is people in the town, who didn't have access to anything like this before (in previous years, the only way I got manga or anime was to go into a larger city or order it online). When it comes to ordering online, I think starting small would be best and gradually getting bigger. Even with Hobbyton, they started small, with more focus on comics and board games than anime, though the continual support from the university's anime club got them to expand their collection of manga and DVDs.

Anyway, not sure if this will be any help, but yeah, you can succeed with a large assortment of things, but especially since you're running primarily online (or that's the impression that I get), I think it would be best to start with a few products and establish yourself, instead of spreading out too thin.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Also, for people such as Starwind, don't listen to them. While they may be extremely vocal they do not, and will never make up, the entire market share. don't ever feel pressured to do anything for only a handful of people if it means others are going to feel the heat for it.

Once again, Steven starts getting all defensive towards me for no reason. I guess everyone has their guilty pleasures.

Steventheeunuch wrote:
I'd rather not see you on this forum, but there isn't much that can be done about it.

Exactly. Now be quiet and stop starting trouble. And don't go around thinking there's nobody here who would love to see you gone, because I'm sure you've ticked off plenty of people in the past with your rude comments.

Keonyn wrote:
Not to mention not everyone is insanely bias against anything non-japanese like Starwind.

Oh, so because I say that X-Men would look awkward next to Naruto, I'm automatically biased against anything non-Japanese? Right. I guess Family Guy, American Dad, Batman Begins, Halo, Doom, and Jonny Quest are Japanese. Wink

Stop painting an image of me that's tailored to your ignorant beliefs just so you can try to get me angry and banned because you don't like me. I do NOT appreciate it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
We already know yoru stance, and given the discussions here there and everywhere pertain to animation and comics, most of examples dont count. We don't care if you appreciate it, but hey, the truth hurts, doesn't it?
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Didn't you wanted create anime at first? Then you decide you wanted be a mangaka? Now you're planning on owning an anime dvd website?

I dont' know, you seem like you have a lot of dream but not a lot of dedication. Research the market first, take business classes. I doubt you mean a bunch of people on the forum giving you business tips on how to succeed.

Starwind Amada wrote:

Sound pretty bias to me. There's no reason why one should not sell american stuff like cartoon too, if only he/she has a bias towards it.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Call it an evolving dream.

But yeah, check out your local area first to see if anime/manga/comics goes well, and then judge it around the surrounding areas. You will need to find out demographics, basically a lot of things.

I don't mind seeing manga right next to some Marvel/DC comics...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2