• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need good anime movies.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Efan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to say that asking for help on this forum has never failed me. I need to know some good anime movie titles, i don't care what genre i just feel the need for a few good movies. So please, if you can list some movies and why you think they are good (i don't need an explination of the story line, that's what the encyclopedia is for Wink ). Iv'e seen Prinicess Mononoke, Macross Plus, Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited away and thuroughly enjoyed each.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Appleseed: One of the best CG-animated films I've seen. There were some points during this film that were so realistic looking that I forgot I was watching an anime. Based on the manga by the same person who did Ghost in the Shell.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal: Technically an OVA but I still listed it because I felt it was especially well done. It's a bit bloody and violent but it forms the backstory to Rurouni Kenshin in an interesting way.

Last edited by Cetus-kun on Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Hunter D the first film: About a vampire hunter protecting a girl who was biten by a count in a post apolocypse world set in the future where vampires are rulers but dying out in numbers. D sets out to kill off the count so Doris, the girl, won't turn into a vampire. Good film for it's time I call it a classic.

Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust. Again about D. This time he has to chase after the Vampire count and get a man' daughter back. But this time theres competition. Another group fo vampire hunters are trying to beat D to it. This movie is considered to more people better then the first because of graphical looks are much newer then the very first film. Plus, D talks a little more in this film.

Akira also is one I concider a classic. Great graphics for it's time. Story is compeling and will leave you wanting more and great for debates on what actually took place. It's about a future world where gangs are everywhere and government does testing on humans who have certain new abilities. But one of the kids breaks out and unleashes a power on a gang member by accident and unlocks a secret power in him. The gang member is unsure of what exactly is happening to him and discovers his powers along the way but goes insane killing many. His friend who was the leader of the gang is out to stop him with help of a girl who knew of the military secrets and was out to stop them.

EDIT: All three I would recommend, as they are part of my collection because I find them to be classics except for the second vampirehunter D film I wouldn't see that as a classic(To new for a classic). But if you want old anime that Vampirehunter D and Akira are the way to go and you can see the difference in the anime of today from anime in the 80s'. But if your more into the new technological advantages of anime Vampirehunter D:Bloodlust will be there for you. Also, Bloodlust has excellent dubbing and it isnt a film about just killing. It has love and hate and alot of mystery involved dealing with the main characters. The Vampirehunter Films are very good when it comes to character detail. Akira great graphics for its time, dubbing it alright. But has alot of emotional elements and the music in the film help bring it out. It's a good film if you like seeing friends becoming enemies and one (the good guy) feeling bad about it but trying not to show it.

Last edited by remember love on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fargazer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
It's hard to go wrong with Studio Ghibli productions, but they are so universally enjoyed that I want to point out a couple of my non Ghibli favories (stealing Cetus-kun's format with the utmost respect Mr. Green) :

Millenium Actress - It's a fantastic exploration of the career of an actress through a documentary. The tale blends the telling of the career with the career itself, so at points the people in the documentary find themselves not just listening to the tale of the actress, but actually in the tale itself (which gets amusing at spots, especially when spoiler[the train the two documentary people find themselves on becomes attacked by fire arrow using bandits in early 20th century Mongolia])

Place Promised in Our Early Days - A quiet but powerful story of two boys growing up, the girl they both hang out with as kids, promises made, and alternate universes. It's the same director (Makoto Shinkai) as "Voices of a Distant Star" (also an excellent movie, if short). IMHO he's got a real talent for "efficiency". The movie may be slowly paced, but there's very little actual deadweight in it; each scene and sound has a reason for being there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Go here:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=best_bayesian&n=200

Go to the "Edit" menu at the top of your browser. Select "Find." Type in "movie."
son_michael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
It's hard to go wrong with Studio Ghibli productions, but they are so universally enjoyed that I want to point out a couple of my non Ghibli favories (stealing Cetus-kun's format with the utmost respect Mr. Green) :

Millenium Actress - It's a fantastic exploration of the career of an actress through a documentary. The tale blends the telling of the career with the career itself, so at points the people in the documentary find themselves not just listening to the tale of the actress, but actually in the tale itself (which gets amusing at spots, especially when spoiler[the train the two documentary people find themselves on becomes attacked by fire arrow using bandits in early 20th century Mongolia])

I was actually 1 of the first people to see this anime movie in america, it was amazing, fantastic! I loved every minute of it. If I remember correctly, we actually saw it before anyone in japan did, it was released in america first and only in 1 movie theater in new york for 1 showing! anyway.....I highly reccomend this movie to you or ANY anime fan! the look is beautiful, the characters are ALIVE and this movie is a MUST have for any otaku, I have to go and get it!...I forgot most of the story since I only saw it once
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1