• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Up With All This Cheap Anime DVDs?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of anime is being re-released in DVD boxsets with really cheap prices lately? First I noticed it was Magic Knight Rayearth, then Cardcaptor Sakura, then it was Neon Genesis Evangelion, Azumanga Daioh, Pretear, Super Gals, Rurouni Kenshin, Chobits, and lots of other anime series. I remember back when anime boxsets used to be really expensive, like $150 for a measely 26 episodes, but now anime is suddenly becoming really cheap. It's not like I'm complaining or anything. I'm actually really glad about this because now I can afford to buy a lot of series I couldn't before, but why are anime DVDs becoming so cheap lately? It's like this is the year of the anime on the Chinese Zodiac or something. Is it because anime is starting to become more popular? Will future DVD boxsets be released as cheap as these boxsets are? Will single volume anime DVDs get released for $20 per volume instead of $30?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember $30 VHS tapes with only one or two episodes in only one language and maybe some trailers for extras. Anime has been getting more and more affordable since I started watching.

It's is probably due to anime becoming more popular, as companies can afford to lower prices if they have more people buying their products. As for whether or not the prices will keep falling, that would depend on anime's popularity growing even more.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, the cheaper price is great. I personally worry a lot about conserving shelf space, and the chaper price for the thinpaks is an added bonus. The more people buy, the more the companies make right? So then the price could be dropped a bit and the companies would still make their profit. This is similar to the way the YGO DVDs were priced. Since it's such a big money-maker, the DVDs went at 14.95, I think. Uncut makes less, so it gets priced higher. So yes, the price should continue to go down for certain titles.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Virtually all the budget-priced stuff are re-releases of older anime that had previously been sold as full-priced "single" DVDs, so the profits they make are really just "gravy".

I really don't think you'll ever see a situation where "new" anime is sold direct-to-boxset at a price comparable to a season of Friends on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
rereleasing the older stuff for dirt cheap to cash in on the newer fans who didn't see them yet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed though that, the more popular a series the more expensive the thinpaks are. Like the prices for unpopular series like FFU and Angelic layer are priced at $50. While some of the more popular ones like Chobits and Eva are priced at $100 and $90. I guess that's just business.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I did notice that too, how some of the more popular titles go for more. I reacted badly when I heard that the Haibane Renmei boxset solf for more than $60. It's oly 13 episodes. Well, it looks like I'll be waiting awhile for that too.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Market Economics. If both supply and demand increases, cost decreases.

At least I think that is how it works. It's been a long time since Economics class Confused
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I really don't think you'll ever see a situation where "new" anime is sold direct-to-boxset at a price comparable to a season of Friends on DVD.

Not on a regular basis to be sure, but there's always one exception to prove the rule: i.e. Avenger.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I think that's because they realized Avenger would have been fairly unsellable as singles *after* they licensed it sight unseen.

The cheap full-series release was more of a "cut our losses" sort of deal.

Anyway, I meant that I didn't think we'll ever see a situation where a *26-episode anime* would be sold direct-to-boxset at a price comparable to a 22 to 26 episode season of Friends because the market for Friends is so much larger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
They pack 7 episodes of Azumanga (at a good bit rate and 5.1 audio) on the 5th thinpak DVD, which makes me wonder why they ADV is releasing 5 discs think paks instead of 4. They also pack 7 episodes on the Saikano rerelease DVD which is nice for space reasons. I wish the thinpacks were actually thin since you can fit 14 good quality episodes on one double sided DVD.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I've noticed though that, the more popular a series the more expensive the thinpaks are. Like the prices for unpopular series like FFU and Angelic layer are priced at $50. While some of the more popular ones like Chobits and Eva are priced at $100 and $90. I guess that's just business.

if you go to such sites as http://deepdiscountdvd.com

you can get them alot cheaper. The have Eva platnium for 53 and some change shipped.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
aflimmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

if you go to such sites as http://deepdiscountdvd.com

you can get them alot cheaper. The have Eva platnium for 53 and some change shipped.

Are these guys legit? They are advertising a 3 disc set of Chobits. Sounds like it might be a bootleg since there is only one box set of 7 DVDs. This topic was discussed recently on the forum:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18726

I may be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but I have become VERY suspicious about this lately.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
No, the three disk set of Chobits is Legit, I've seen them selling it at Best Buy. Its not the whole series though, just the first three disks, and the second 3-disk set has the other three disks.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
No, the three disk set of Chobits is Legit, I've seen them selling it at Best Buy. Its not the whole series though, just the first three disks, and the second 3-disk set has the other three disks.

Oh, ok, that's good then. After looking around on the site, I have seen some good deals, but the problem that I see is that, for any given anime series, they may have volumes 2 and 4, but not 1 and 3. That's kinda annoying...

I did buy the Chrono Crusade box set for $53, it sure beats the hell out of $89 at BestBuy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3