• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
how is evangelion pronounced?
pythos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Examples of how each syllable are pronounced are given below each syllable:
E- Van- Gel- I- On
Whee- Can- Tell- Whee- On

However, when just saying "Eva" (which is faster and better, in my opinion), that word is pronounced like this:

E- Va
Canadian "Eh?"- Ah!

I've heard the shortened Eva-pronounciation applied to the beginning of the full word, but IIRC, the first way is how you pronounce it.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Examples of how each syllable are pronounced are given below each syllable:
E- Van- Gel- I- On
Whee- Can- Tell- Whee- On

However, when just saying "Eva" (which is faster and better, in my opinion), that word is pronounced like this:

E- Va
Canadian "Eh?"- Ah!

I've heard the shortened Eva-pronounciation applied to the beginning of the full word, but IIRC, the first way is how you pronounce it.

Anime hyper That's hilarious. I remember someone saying that I said Evangelion wrong (I pronounced it the same way as you creatively explained up there). Just shows how people think their right and others are wrong. With the ways of pronouncing, I usually say names and what not the way the anime does. (I hope this made any sense at all)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about all of the technical aspects, as I only skimmed the Answerman column. But I have a CD where they pronounced it as:

"Eh-ban-geh-lee-an"

Of course, that's going off the Japanese dialect rules. In fact, there were actually multiple pronunciations. The aformentioned Japanese one, and I think an African American fellow saying:

Neon Genesis "Eh-van-geh-lee-on" (with English dialect rules)

I've heard pronunciations from "Ee-van-jih-lon" to "Ee-van-gel-yun," but I tend to stick with the one the black guy said.
Efan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
To-Meh-Toe

Ta-Moh-Toe

In the end it doesn't really make that much of a difference because there has come to be many different ways of pronoucing it, either way it s a unique word so we all get the idea when someone says it either way.
excel7769

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The Eh-Van-Ge-leon pronunciation is correct... Also it might be interesting to know that it's greek and means "Begining of the New Gospel"
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Canadian "Eh?"- Ah!

What the hell?! I'm canadian and so i'm offended by this. We don't say "eh?" Don't listen to friggin stereotypes. Thats just as bad as racism.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Canadian "Eh?"- Ah!

What the hell?! I'm canadian and so i'm offended by this. We don't say "eh?" Don't listen to friggin stereotypes. Thats just as bad as racism.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Maybe you're just in denial, eh. Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Canadian "Eh?"- Ah!

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Woah, there. No reason to get all worked up. I personally always connected "eh?" with the Midwestern way of speaking (ever seen Fargo? ^^; ). I know we here in Minnesota and Wisconsin say it all the time--it goes with the accent. So let's all calm down here, eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Just to bring up another point on how Evangelion is pronounced, for the Japanese seiyuu the first part of the word is spoken as Eh-von or Eh-vahn (as the Ms. Answerman column states). The English voice artists say the first part of the word as Eh-van (van as in the vehicle). We English speakers sure like to screw around with our vowel sounds. I sometimes find myself pronouncing the word with a long 'e' at the beginning. The two languages that I have studied, German and Japanese, have strict pronunciations of their vowels. I wonder if vowel sounds are one of the harder things to grasp when learning to speak English.

I know I say "eh" once in a while, and, though not common around central Wisconsin, I do hear "eh" added to the end of sentences occassionally (kind of like "ne" in Japanese).
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Canadian "Eh?"- Ah!

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Woah, calm down, I didn't mean to offend anyone. However, most people know the stereotypical Canadian "Eh?", so I just used that as an example that people would recognize. I never said that Canadians actually are that stereotype or anything. And it's as bad as racism? Somehow, I doubt I could be racist against Canadians, seeing as being Canadian is like being American, where people come from such a mixed pot of cultures that you can't use an overall term to describe a country's race.

And I've been meaning to ask: what's the deal with the fake signature? From "Teh Rules": 5) Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Woah, calm down, I didn't mean to offend anyone. However, most people know the stereotypical Canadian "Eh?", so I just used that as an example that people would recognize. I never said that Canadians actually are that stereotype or anything. And it's as bad as racism? Somehow, I doubt I could be racist against Canadians, seeing as being Canadian is like being American, where people come from such a mixed pot of cultures that you can't use an overall term to describe a country's race.

And I've been meaning to ask: what's the deal with the fake signature? From "Teh Rules": 5) Signatures are disabled. Do not make "fake" signatures.

I just hate it when people say that. I didn't say it was racism, I said it was as bad as racism. I said that based on the fact that racism is based on stereotypes of cultures.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1