• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Culinary Quirk ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
In tonights episode of Samurai Champloo, when they were preparing the Eels, they cut from the neck down the back of the spine to the tail. Yet normally, when I gut Eels and Fish, I usually go from neck thru the stomach and then to tail due to the easy stomach cavity.

Is this a quicker way to clean Eels? Japanese Culinary Secret?
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
WIsh I had an answer for you but I must say this is by far the most strangest question I've seen but yet a valid question. This must be the episode with the girl sold in to prostitution because of her husband right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:53 am Reply with quote
You know, I don't know the answer to this and I feel I should have a idea Confused. The reason for that is it was covered in a episode of Iron Chief (one of the Battle Eels - I'm pretty sure there is more than one) and one of those episode didn't air that long ago on FoodTV (the original Iron Cheif show, btw). All I remember is that the commentators mentioned that there is a certain way that eel is gutted in traditional Japanese cooking (and maybe what region you live in) and the IC who was in the battle (it was either IC French or America) wasn't doing it that way or was only doing some of the eels that way (not like eel is exactly either of those Iron Chief's normal fare for cooking).

Anyway, that's all I know about it but it might be a start to answering your question Smile.
mitora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I believe the reason for going down the back is because slicing down the belly reminds Japanese people of seppuku, or hara kiri, the name for suicide by Samurais. So they go down the back for most cases if not all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1