• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Original language or dubed anime ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zajo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
when i started with anime i was just angry, why do our people not dub this kind of art (i live in slovakia btw).. so i was forced to watch this in english or original language with subs. There are movies i've seen both in englis & with english subs. Now i do not have any doubts about which is better..
(i wish i coud understand japanese Laughing )

which one do YOU preffer ???
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I prefer dubbed, I used to prefer subs but I feel these more recent years have shown quite a significan boost in dub quality and there's even been points with some anime that I couldn't enjoy the sub at all and only enjoyed the dub. I usually watch both but I generally stick with the dubs overall except in a few instances.

Now, that said, this thread will likely be a downward spiral as most sub vs. dub threads end up that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I, in general, prefer subs, partually because I really enjoy J-pop/J-rock and alot of the anime I watch has VA's that preform both in the Op & Ed themes and in the anime itself. I just think its a really cool aspect of anime that can't really be shown in the dubs. I'm not saying that I only watch subs I do usually watch anime dubbed with friends (cause they prefer it), and I have actually found a few dubs I prefer over the subs.

Now, let the madness continue. Twisted Evil
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
For the purpose of the topic: I have no preference. Both the English and Japanese versions have advantages and disadvantages. Japanese version for the original language and dialogue; English version for a language I understand completely and being able to enjoy the artwork without text running across the screen. So I get the best of both worlds and watch both; thank you DVD.

Last edited by DemonEyesLeo on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
People, crying and moaning about dub vs. sub threads—in essence, derailing a thread to complain about how it'll get derailed—doesn't help matters. Now I don't want to have to delete half the thread again to weed out such nonsense, so could we please keep that sort of thing to...I dunno...polite suggestions to mods via PM about the notion of stickying this topic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Simply pick one or the other or watch both. We live in the age of the DVD. I generally prefer Sub because I understand just enough nuances of Japanese to notice the differences between Sayonara and Goodbye and what is implied. But it does mean I won't be a jerk about it and my life does not revolve around the difference. Also, I'm not everyone.

All the best,

Nani?

Last edited by Nani? on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sudo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I prefer watching anime in its original language, though I'm not a dub hater by any means. Cowboy Bebop, for example, has an excellent dub in my opinion, and I do watch it dubbed on occasion.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Given the choice, i watch most anime in original japanese with subs partly because i can read the subs fast enough to see the artwork while still getting all that the characters are saying. however, i will watch dubed anime as well (if it's dubed well). I wish all anime had great engilsh dubs, but thats why i want to get DVDs of those that dont so i can watch a great seires in japanese if need be.
Irukichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Original Language. Why? Well, I've watched a lot of excellent American dubs. They're really nice, like the dub of Witch Hunter Robin and the dub of Spirited Away (really like that one) Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop... they're all excellent. However, It's been an extremely rare occasion where I can honestly say that the Japanese version was not better quality than the English one. Everything in the Japanese version was meant to be there. That's how it was written to look, that how they intended for them to sound, that's the complete, whole, original story (at least for the anime side of things). ^^ I think, anyhow

So why watch something edited? v_v Sure, there's better edits than others, and I'll preview the new animes on AdultSwim, and I enjoy that, too. But if I have any option about it, I'm going to watch everything the way it was intended to be watched and get the full effect. Even if they change the dialouge slightly, it can still have a big effect on the meaning and feel of the characters. Unless you are an extremely slow reader (in which case I'd practice anyways--slow reading is bad for you), I don't see any reason to watch the English version.

Like Fullmetal Alchemist. The English version is... passable. I can stand to watch it. But I dislike the changes in what they say and Al's VA can't act. Little things like that, I'd just prefer to catch the original for.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I can be able to watch both and not get upset. And a person should be able to. Plus some anime is ony avablie by fan subs. Some voice actors are missfitting at times, like in Azumanga Diaoh.

Last edited by LxTrix on Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irukichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
A lot of dub-lovers even hate Al's voice. Like I said, I _love_ a lot of American dubs. Watch Spirited Away more often in English than Japanese (plus I've memorized all the Japanese in it).

But even the subs on the FMA dvds were bad in some places. As for doing better, yes, they _can_ do better. They're voice *actors* which implies that they can actually act and get into their role on command. Yeah, dubs are fine, but they're not the original thing and there's very few better than the original. Then again, you also get acting like Yu Yu Hakusho's in Japanese. In general, Japanese voices have more expression and accuracy to the character because they are more comfortable in their roles and the words don't have to get changed just to make the mouth movements match up. The sentences aren't awkward, the acting is smoother, and they have little phrases that they understand but isn't "there"

Like Naruto's little habit on his speech translating over to English as "Believe it!" @.@
Berselius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Much apologies Nagisa. Well then i will simply say that i enjoy both. It almost always seems to be a matter of which language you watched first though, hence why i hate the evangelion japanese track because i saw it a year after the dub, and why i hate the saiyuki dub track, because i saw the japanese version long before the dub. If both tracks are clearly great though, then im not one for picking favorites Anime smile
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
I watch in english with the subtitles on so I can see if their are any differences between the english script and the japanese script.
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
I basicly watch both, subs are great but I have a great time on Saturday Night (I'm young, I don't date yet, or maybe I'm a loser?) watching Zatch Bell, Naruto, One pIece, Bo-bo-bo, Inuyasha, S-cry-ed, and FLCL. But I like subs too because I can usually get alot farther into the series with them than 1 a week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
There are some dubs out there that I do like and I'm all for supporting the dubbing of anime as long as it's done well (that is, dubbed uncut with good voice artists), but if I had to choose between the two, I'm definetly going with subs. For one reason, that was the original. It was how it was meant to be produced and seen. This is Japanese animation, after all. If I wanted to watch something that was English, I'll just flip the channel to Nicklodeon or Cartoon Network and watch an American cartoon instead. I have liked nearly every Japanese seiyuu I've heard to date and while there are a lot of good dub voice artists out there too, there are also a lot of bad ones, but I have yet to have found a Japanese seiyuu that I abosuletly hated. I may not understand all the techincalities of the Japanese language required to truly judge how well a Japanese seiyuu can act, but I do know the technicalities of the English language and I can judge how well an English actor can act, and if something doesn't sound right in the dub, then I'm going to prefer watching the Japanese version because I may not be an expert in Japanese, but I know what I hear and if I don't like what I hear, then I won't like it. I don't have to completely disect the Japanese language to have a prefrence in voices.

Also, even with uncut dubs some changes to the script have to be made to help the dialog fit the lip movement better or to just make the whole sentence sound more "natural" in English. Since subs don't have to worry about it as much, they can have a more literal translation and so I tend to find the translation on the subs to be more reliable than the translation in the dubs. Plus, even if the dub's translation is highly accurate to the Japanese version, some important things are lost in the dub because they have no equalivent in the English language, like Japanese honorifics. I think the Japanese honorifics are important to the character development of a series because they help show the closeness of the characters and it's just not the same watching the anime without them. And I just think it's more fun to watch any foreign movie subbed over dubbed because it's something different, you know? Once again, this isn't to say that I hate all dubs or that I am against dubbing. There are a lot of dubs out there that I really like, but I just prefer watching anime subbed on a whole.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2