• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
adult swim and cable in general

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ademis_666

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I know im a young buck in this forumn but i feel this is the major league forumn and i wanted to start off with a topic that all of my fanatic friends discuss. Adult Swim and cartoon network and generally why anime on tv is not really bad but rather re hashed, re done and re run. Can any one name a series on either cable or local tv (WB, Fox) that didint have violence as a theme or as the tv calls it "action" I was watching a anime with my best friend one day and it was titled Only Yesterday and I sat there through the entire film hating it. Then, on the plane ride home I realized how good the film was and do you all know i never saw one act of violence? I'm not a moralist by any streach friends but I am a man that enjoys broadening his mind. I cried watching video girl ai and loved grave of the fire flies. Why cant cable show a anime sitcom or a drama or a romantic comedy (save for Lupin but then again he got shafted to 5am eastern) so what are your thoughts people, friends and the elite of disscussion forumns i eagerly await replies and thank ANN the opportunity to express my views
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well recently Adult Swim aired Paranoia Agent and I don't think action was the focus of that show although there were action bits. The show focused on characters studies/relationships and the mystery of Lil Slugger which I really enjoyed. It was definitley different and refreshing. Also they aired Kakurenbo in honor of Halloween. That short OVA was nice to watch visually but there wasn't much to it. Anyway there wasn't much action in that either. Also they still air Super Milk Chan(even though airs very late at night/early in the morning), but they opted to show the Japanese script dub version so I don't know how many cared for it (all of the references are to Japanese pop culture and there aren't even footnotes to help). Of course I am assuming that by action you mean direct fighting.
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums! Like most new people on ANN; make sure you read Teh Rules.

Now I see what your saying; on T.V. the main genre played is action. The reason for this is simple (in my opinion), action anime sells. A movie like Only Yesterday wouldn't do well at all if played on AS; it's the equivalent of showing something like an animated "Elizabethtown". The programming shown on AS is geared toward the specific demographic that watches it; and it so happens that that demographic likes action.

In Only Yesterday, spoiler[I wouldn’t say that it is completely lacking violence… that big slap that the father gives was pretty damn violent coming from a physical and emotional stand point. ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
The reason we see all these action shows on cable is because that's where the market is. If you look at which cable networks are currently airing anime, you'll see that the target demographic are people who want, mainly, action. And if the people want action, they're going to get action. Though I think Adult Swim took a huge step forward by airing Paranoia Agent, a show that isn't as action-packed as Fullmetal Alchemist or most of the other anime they've aired.

Now, a movie like Grave of the Fireflies wouldn't go very well on Adult Swim, but could be great on a different network like A&E or something like that because their target demographic wants drama. The problem is that those networks aren't in the market for anime. But that could change, as TCM will air 9 Studio Ghibli movies, including Only Yesterday. If these do well then I think other networks, like A&E, might start thinking about airing the more dramatic anime.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Action is what the majority wants, sorry your not the majority. I think Bleach would be awesome for Adult Swim.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Now, a movie like Grave of the Fireflies wouldn't go very well on Adult Swim, but could be great on a different network like A&E or something like that because their target demographic wants drama. The problem is that those networks aren't in the market for anime. But that could change, as TCM will air 9 Studio Ghibli movies, including Only Yesterday. If these do well then I think other networks, like A&E, might start thinking about airing the more dramatic anime.

Now holdonasec, why wouldn't Grave of the Fireflies not do well on [as]? I seem to remember them airing Metropolis and that wasn't exactly a tour de force of violence.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This may be one of the reasons why Serial Experiments Lain may never air again on G$Tech TV.

I'd say a quick, easy solution is what the viewer wants. And what better way to do that then duke it out mano-a-mano.

However, I think that it's much better to see some deep television series as well. Of all the movies and TV series that I own, I think that anime has better replay value. And I think that anime that are deeper in nature allow for more "rewatch" value than series that concentrate soley on action.

I am glad that NGE is airing on [AS]. It has the action, but that's not all that it's about. FMA can make you think too, but I don't think that it really scratches the surface of the mind.

I really hope that there will be a lot more people that see that final TV ep of NGE and wonder what the hell just happened.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Now holdonasec, why wouldn't Grave of the Fireflies not do well on [as]? I seem to remember them airing Metropolis and that wasn't exactly a tour de force of violence.

Maybe I shoulda said "I don't think it would do well." I don't think it would because it's slow-paced and not as action orientated as Metropolis (which yes, isn't the most violent thing out there, but it still had more action than Grave) and so it doesn't really fit with AS. Now that's not saying that they couldn't show it, in fact I'd like it if they did, but I don't think they will.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
Ademis, you missed the boat on Adult Swim airing one of anime's premiere sitcom/romantic comedies.

In the first year of Adult Swim, as it was starved for material, they re-aired the Tenchi Muyo OAV's. Tenchi enjoyed quite a bit of popularity on Cartoon Network, even in its heavily edited state, and proved that you could show a series on Cartoon Network that was more based in comedy and romance rather than fighting the evil power.

Unfortunately, Cartoon Network never went anywhere with introducing the popular romantic comedy genre of which Tenchi was a flagship. As such, the majority of anime on Cartoon Network is repetitive pre-teen to teen shonen with a few shoujo attributes. Mealy-mouthed, dull as hell but "fun for everyone" pieces like Inu Yasha and Full Metal Alchemist.

You have no idea how happy I was when Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, aired.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
You have no idea how happy I was when Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, aired.

Hear Hear!! Gotta love 攻殻機動隊 STAND ALONE COMPLEX!! Sorry, I just had to say Kōkaku Kidōtai. Razz

I have been waiting patiently (albeit not for long) for the complete series of Kare Kano to get to my door, but I was wondering if the series had ever aired on any cable stations other than in Japan? It is a bit older series and perhaps it aired somewhere before I really became smitten with anime. I'm also not just asking if it aired in the U.S. Did it air in Canada, Australia, or anywhere in Europe?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
I have been waiting patiently (albeit not for long) for the complete series of Kare Kano to get to my door, but I was wondering if the series had ever aired on any cable stations other than in Japan?

Certainly, on Animax Taiwan.

Chiroptera Rex wrote:
Did it air in Canada, Australia, or anywhere in Europe?

Beats me. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I would give [Adult Swim] a break. Unfortunately they are in it to make money and I am sure airing Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, etc definetly would not earn the ratings Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, etc would earn (I must admit, I love these shows, in my opinion best two on TV right now). The same goes for Toonami which almost every new show they get is action orientated, IGPX, Naruto, etc.

You must give them credit for "testing the waters" with Paranoia Agent, which I thought was a weird choice for AS. I am not sure how Paranoia Agent did on AS but I bet if it got good ratings more shows like it might come are way.

Hopefully for you the majority may get into less action orientated anime but for now I would just be happy if I were you if one of the new shows they air on Saturday is not.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Vash_the_Stamp3d3 wrote:
You must give them credit for "testing the waters" with Paranoia Agent, which I thought was a weird choice for AS. I am not sure how Paranoia Agent did on AS but I bet if it got good ratings more shows like it might come are way.

PA didn't do well (which is why it got moved to 1 AM), and interpreting what Kim Manning said on GATV, they didn't expect it to do well, but liked it too much not to air it.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
I have been waiting patiently (albeit not for long) for the complete series of Kare Kano to get to my door, but I was wondering if the series had ever aired on any cable stations other than in Japan?

Certainly, on Animax Taiwan.

Thanks, dormcat. Neat, it's airing in Taiwan right now. Animax Taiwan must be a pretty good network. Does Animax Asia work as a pay-per-view station or is it part of a regular television package?

I had not noticed that RahXephon was airing on G4 Tech TV. I wonder if that's one of the reasons that [AS] grabbed Neon Genesis Evangelion (or maybe G4 grabbed RahXephon to counter [AS]) since there are some similarities to the series. I actually haven't seen RahXephon (looking to buy it soon), but it does seem to be a series that explores the human psyche just as Evangelion does. (LOL, G4 even have a poll right now that asks what post-apocalyptic anime do you prefer: RahXephon or Neon Genesis Evangelion).

For me now, all of this is kind of moot. I'd rather buy the series on DVD than watch it on TV. However, I must remember that I would have never started watching anime full-time had it not been for [AS]...oh, and, naturally, the good people at ANN!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
I think a large portion of AS's audience is male (aside from the InuYasha fangirls), so they want to show series that appeal to that demographic. Maybe they could do well with fanservice/harem shows like Love Hina, Chobits, or Please Teacher, but those present an interesting problem: too much cutesy romance for the average AS male viewer, but too much shounen fanservice comedy for the female viewers. So, they go the tried-and-true route of giant robots, samurai, ninja, war, explosions, etc.

Sure, I like the staples of the drama/romance genre like SaiKano or Kare Kano, as well as shoujo shows like Utena, Fruits Basket, and Fushigi Yuugi, but I don't think we'll be seeing those on AS anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1