• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does this look like a pirated product?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aflimmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Does this look like an illegitimate product to anyone? I can't imagine the effect on quality of cramming 26 episodes, extras, and previews on to 3 DVDs.

What do you think?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't seem legit to me. 27 Episodes on just 3 DVD's sounds a bit high and Geneon only shows they've released a complete collection in a thin pak form on 7 discs.

Last edited by Keonyn on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it's a bootleg. And IIRC, it's a rip of Pioneer/Geneon's R1 release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Kimani

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
It is a bootleg.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought that it was. I does look very convincing though. With the well printed packaging, and matching print on the DVDs, it could fool a lot of people.

Last edited by aflimmer on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Anyways, a box set of Chobits is going to be released, but isn't out yet, IIRC.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that would be the thinpak I was referring took, it will be released next Tuesday, the 8th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:
Yeah, I thought that it was. I does look very convinving though. With the well printed packaging, and matching print on the DVDs, it could fool a lot of people.

Recycle art work. Look at the background art of the case matches the disc, that's just being lazy. The artwork will throw many people off and people will denied that it's bootleg.

China has been doing an good job of reproducing other people's work. I just bought a Dogder "New Era" fitted Base ball Cap Online (shipped from china) which looks exactly like the original New Era hats made in the USA. The reason they are bootleg is the size of the hat wasn't exactly correct and the I notice that the button underneath the hat was smaller than the original. Other than that they everything look exactly the same, they even copy every tag , even the made in USA one too. I couldn't return the hat. So yeah don't be fool.

This NY cap: Original or bootleg?

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
LxTrix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I have a chobits thinpak too, different art though. Does that mean its a bootleg? I really wouldn't care because it works perfectly and is on 3 dvds, all episodes.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
I have a chobits thinpak too, different art though. Does that mean its a bootleg? I really wouldn't care because it works perfectly and is on 3 dvds, all episodes.

That's not the point, you're supporting bootleg in general, which is frown upon by many people. You're giving money to pirate to steal stuff for you. These guy make tons of money off ignorant buyers and that money fund other illegal activies.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
that wasn't my intent and looking at it now i just realised it, i bought it off ebay, i'm not going to cry about it, all i can say is oh well
aflimmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I purchased a couple of these a while back before I knew about all of this, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought them.

If we buy anime sets from some bootlegging Chinese pirate off of eBay, then the production houses aren't making any money, and they don't get a full realization of the popularity of anime. If that keeps up, some of the companies may pull out of the American market which will limit the availability of new material. I want ADV, Pioneer, Geneon, and everyone else to know that I am willing to spend some of my hard-earned American money on their products, but if I am sending my cash to some looser in HongKong, then they don't know.

I want to keep new anime coming to America.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I'm sorry you got a bootleg. This happened to me when I was getting the "limited edition" Cowboy Bebop CD boxset. When I got the set in, it looked awesome. It had the book and everything, and nothing looked fake. It took me a whole month to find out it wasn't real. I was disappointed, really.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Yup, same here... I got shafted into a ton of bootleg crap that looked original...

... I've almost made up for most of it though, so I guess it's all good *took a while*

Which reminds me, my local ANIME shop around my place seems to sell bootlegs... I regular there, but I can't seem to bring myself to point out that the guy is selling bootlegs

*in addition to the R1 stuff... which is somewhat expensive comapred to BEST BUY and stuff since it's a small shop*

I feel bad... I wonder if the dude knows that they're bootlegs? Or is he flying blind?

should I bring it up? o_o
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yes, it's a bootleg--trust me, I know Embarassed, though the embarrasment smiley isn't really appropriate as I knew what I was getting. (And btw, I have since bought the R1 seven-disc release, after they released the 1-3 & 4-6 boxes.) Actually, those discs don't work "perfectly"--on the version I have, the subtitles in episode 24 are messed up; every other line of subtitled dialogue does not display. Kind of sucks when it's the final episode.

Another bootleg related question, to avoid making a new thread:

If the packaging contains bad writing errors like "Federal and international law provides severe civil and climinal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction of. . ." , is there a chance that it might be a bootleg? Evil or Very Mad

(note that "provides" should be "provide," since we can't say "Bob and John provides the charcoal)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4